RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-15, 02:01 PM
Mmuzevich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak

Yesterday the power steering exploded on our 2008 Lexus RX 350 spewing power steering fluid all over the under carriage of the car and the garage floor. Left a trail every where we went. The loss of fluid caused the power steering to quit working. I had no prior signs of any leaks of any kind and no noise or symptoms from the steering prior to this. Had this happened on the highway at speed, I don't know what could have happened. Loss of steering and the catalytic converters covered in oil could have resulted in a fire and or wreck. I see on line that power steering leaks seem to be a problem with many Lexus models. Anyone had a similar problem? I have heard that a screen/filter in the power steering solenoid can clog causing the pressure in the system to go sky high blowing the rack seals. Some have said that by cleaning the filter and flushing the system that the problem can be solved without having to replace the rack and pinion. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-15, 05:22 PM
lexsc4
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 156 Posts

92K miles on my wife's 08 RX, not a single drop of leak. Had the system flushed and refilled before Christmas vacation. Did the sucked and refilled reservoir method, 12 times total. Cost me 10 minutes per day and 3 quarts of Dexron.
Old 01-12-15, 02:44 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you check to find out where is the exactly spot is leaking? I did change both my mom 02 highlander and my wife 04 rx330, they both have the same leaking spot, and the leaking was the return steering fluid pipe is along the front passenger wheel frame, if you turn the wheel to the left and you see fluid there? It is the problem there, at least it happen on both of the trucks, and the pipe cost about $97 if you buy from Sewell website, and it is easy to change it out, it took my 30 mins to do it, if that where you find the leak? Shoot me a PM, I will help you with that good luck
Old 01-12-15, 04:26 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmuzevich
Yesterday the power steering exploded on our 2008 Lexus RX 350 spewing power steering fluid all over the under carriage of the car and the garage floor. Left a trail every where we went. The loss of fluid caused the power steering to quit working. I had no prior signs of any leaks of any kind and no noise or symptoms from the steering prior to this. Had this happened on the highway at speed, I don't know what could have happened. Loss of steering and the catalytic converters covered in oil could have resulted in a fire and or wreck. I see on line that power steering leaks seem to be a problem with many Lexus models. Anyone had a similar problem? I have heard that a screen/filter in the power steering solenoid can clog causing the pressure in the system to go sky high blowing the rack seals. Some have said that by cleaning the filter and flushing the system that the problem can be solved without having to replace the rack and pinion. Any help would be appreciated.
This is rather serious. You might want to file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. They compile a list of safety problems and seek resolution if necessary.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml