Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Breaking into a Mazda3 - vehicle lock assembly issue causes alarm . . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-07, 11:27 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Breaking into a Mazda3 - vehicle lock assembly issue causes alarm . . .

Breaking: Mazda 3 vehicles lock assembly issue causes alarm

Friday January 19, 2007 10:29 AM PST - By: Fabrizio Pilato

A rash of Mazda 3 owners have fell victim to a sneaky method of forced entry to their zoom zooms. When returning to their vehicles the passenger side door has a dent, and all of the items once in their cars, are now gone. No glass smashed, no door locks jimmied, just a side blow to the door will grant entry to the thief.

According to a Mazda dealership that wishes to remain anonymous, it works by someone creating a large blow in just the right place on the door panel. It will leave a dent in the door of course, but this dent goes past the door frame, to the lock assembly mechanism and activates the linkage also tricking the computer into thinking that it was legitimately unlocked by your key or remote.

This problem is with all Mazda 3 cars, and it may even be to other models, we just don't know the extent of this issue yet. Mazda has known about this problem for over 4 months now according to local Victoria Police, all that is being done at the moment is if you have been subject to a break-in, you can get a reinforced door lock assembly and a protective plate that will stop this from happening again. One victim on A Channel News Victoria claims that Mazda will repair his locking assembly, but not the dent in his door caused by the break in itself.

Mazda Canada at the moment has no policy on repairing this problem for anyone that has not been subject to a break-in.

One dealer has said they would upgrade the lock assembly and reinforced protector plate at no charge.

Update 10:45AM: Greg Young, Director of Corporate Public Relations for Mazda spoke with me this morning. He acknowledges that Mazda has been aware of this issue since October 2006, they have been working on the situation with some degree of considerable effort and expertise. Mazda is studying it, and they have made a countermeasure in components from Cars that have been built in January 2007 in Japan. This countermeasure is to prevent this specific type of break-in. There is no defect in the product; the countermeasure produced will make it more difficult or not possible to break-in to the vehicle in this specific way. However, as any vehicle is susceptible to a break-in, normal precautions should be taken.

Mazda has not determined whether they will upgrade vehicles that have not been broken into.

If you are concerned with your vehicle, a supplemental aftermarket alarm system may be a solution, and obviously do not leave any valuables in clear view and plain site.
http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C11410/
Old 01-24-07, 05:12 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My co-worker was telling me about this yesterday.
It's a good thing I've never really considered buying a Mazda.
Old 01-24-07, 07:23 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

After I read this, this reminded me of when I used to play Donkey Kong as a kid and instead of jumping over the barrels to get points, I would just jump near them and sure enough the points would show up.

I'll bring this to the attention of one of my friends at the Mazda dealership in my neighborhood.
Old 01-24-07, 09:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm this is not good, the mazda3 has been selling pretty well and i see a lot of them on the road.

i would think this is pretty fundamental about security..
Old 01-25-07, 09:44 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reminds me of the old Adams Family Pinball machines out there, if you hit it in just the right place on the bottom you could get free games.

Me and my brother used to do it as kids when we found a machine in an arcade.
Old 01-25-07, 09:58 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
reminds me of the old Adams Family Pinball machines out there, if you hit it in just the right place on the bottom you could get free games.

Me and my brother used to do it as kids when we found a machine in an arcade.
And they wouldn't make that TILT light come on?
Old 01-25-07, 10:09 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexmex
And they wouldn't make that TILT light come on?
Tilt is only active if the machine is in "play mode". When its just sitting there waiting for quarters tilt sensor isn't active.
Old 01-25-07, 05:56 PM
kissbang
Pole Position

It's like as if The Fonze broke into your car.

Umm... so they won't to replace it if your hasn't been broken into YET??

Last edited by kissbang; 01-25-07 at 05:59 PM.