Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: which one
25.00%
Evo X
11.90%
NSX
34.52%
Supra
28.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

335i , Evo X, NSX, or Supra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-10, 10:08 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to roll the dice on the reliability of a used BMW anyways, why not consider an E46 M3? Still a good looking car that performs nicely and doesn't have the HPFP issues of the N54.
Old 10-10-10, 12:20 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
TokerIS350, disregard my comment about buying brand new. I didn't read the rest of your posts in the next few pages... Oh man I don't know about buying an used 335i...

The NSX has supreme build quality and extremely reliablility. The dashboard is built like gold. I think it's even better than the dashboard of Lexus SC430 as I had driven one for a while.

Toyota Supra interior feels cheap and ugly to me. But when I get in the NSX I almost wet my pants... it's a completely different feeling.

Toker, try test driving a new Mazdaspeed 3, the 2010 model runs quieter than the previous model, and has much better handling. It also absorb bumps better due to improved damping rate in the suspension so you can take corners with bumps harshly and still get good grip. You can get a brand new one for $22.5 k and spend a few bucks for modding. You can easily get over 300whp and 300wtq. sound system isn't that great though. Just for your info, stock MS3 is faster than the IS350 from roll. I had owned both.

To be honest im not a big fan of Mazda. I've raced a Modded Mazda3 Speed from a dig and took him, but i know from a roll no questions asked it goes to Mazda 3. I want that Luxury feeling and being able to mod very easily and cheap, which leaves the 335i as the best option. Yes i am taking a risk in buying a used one, who knows what could have been done to it and all that other stuff, but ill try my best to get one that hasn't been abused, hopefully find some elderly people selling it the CPO should help.
No supra or Nsx anymore, 10-12 year old cars, over 130K miles i dont think so. I plan on keeping the 335i for 2-3 years tops if i enjoy it, then move on to something new.

E46 M3s are nice, was in the market for one before i got the IS350, But modding those are fairly more expensive, its either a Supercharger or an HPF Turbo, which either way runs a lot more money than JB3ing a 335i.

e46 Looks really nice no doubt, but a bit outdated. But owning an M would be awesome, i know the E46 handles much better than the 335i as well, but with a few suspension mods on it, it can be quite even.
Old 10-10-10, 01:05 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TokerIS350
To be honest im not a big fan of Mazda. I've raced a Modded Mazda3 Speed from a dig and took him, but i know from a roll no questions asked it goes to Mazda 3. I want that Luxury feeling and being able to mod very easily and cheap, which leaves the 335i as the best option. Yes i am taking a risk in buying a used one, who knows what could have been done to it and all that other stuff, but ill try my best to get one that hasn't been abused, hopefully find some elderly people selling it the CPO should help.
No supra or Nsx anymore, 10-12 year old cars, over 130K miles i dont think so. I plan on keeping the 335i for 2-3 years tops if i enjoy it, then move on to something new.

E46 M3s are nice, was in the market for one before i got the IS350, But modding those are fairly more expensive, its either a Supercharger or an HPF Turbo, which either way runs a lot more money than JB3ing a 335i.

e46 Looks really nice no doubt, but a bit outdated. But owning an M would be awesome, i know the E46 handles much better than the 335i as well, but with a few suspension mods on it, it can be quite even.
Are...you kidding me?

30 MPH to 60 MPH IS350 = 3 seconds
30 to 60 MS3 = 3.8 seconds

40 to 70 IS350 = 3.8 seconds
40 to 70 MS3 = 3.8 seconds

60 to 90 IS350 = 5.3 seconds
60 to 90 MS3 = 5.4 seconds

40 to 90 IS350 = 7.5 seconds
40 to 90 MS3 = 7.9 seconds

40 to 100 IS350 = 10 seconds
40 to 100 MS3 = 11 seconds

40 to 110 IS350 = 13.7 seconds
40 to 110 MS3 = 14 seconds

IS350 is faster from a dig to everything but that's probably implied.

Source: Road and Track for both

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/...peed3_data.pdf

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/...S-350_data.pdf

What are you going by to suggest that the MS3 is "no question" faster from a "roll" than an IS350, and why should I believe it over Road and Track? The MS3 isn't faster for any roll iteration under 110 MPH. It ties the IS350 in 40 to 70 MPH, that's the best it does. Everything else it loses.

If you want a slower, less luxurious car in every way imaginable (from a dig and from a roll) then by all means get the mazdaspeed 3.

If you want a car that's faster and has infinitely more moddability potential, get the 335i.
Old 10-10-10, 01:23 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

^ I was referring to a modified one, and their lighter then us as well. Thats just my opinion.
Old 10-10-10, 01:30 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Oh ok. Well modified who knows right, there are so many degrees of modification. Stock, though, the MS3 gets demolished from a roll.

In any case, point is - forget the MS3, that shouldn't even be on your radar. Go with the 335i hands down. I've had one, it's a phenomenal car, and it can definitely satisfy your needs given that you're looking to keep it for only a couple of years.

The fuel pump replacements are free, by the way for 10 years/100k miles and if i recall correctly BMW might have extended that. I had 4 of them replaced within the span of a few months (ridiculous, I know), and this was a bone stock 335i coupe. But really it's just irritating more than anything, it's not as big a deal as people sometimes make it out to be especially if you're in it for the short term (couple of years, like you said).
Old 10-10-10, 01:52 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carLx
Oh ok. Well modified who knows right, there are so many degrees of modification. Stock, though, the MS3 gets demolished from a roll.

In any case, point is - forget the MS3, that shouldn't even be on your radar. Go with the 335i hands down. I've had one, it's a phenomenal car, and it can definitely satisfy your needs given that you're looking to keep it for only a couple of years.

The fuel pump replacements are free, by the way for 10 years/100k miles and if i recall correctly BMW might have extended that. I had 4 of them replaced within the span of a few months (ridiculous, I know), and this was a bone stock 335i coupe. But really it's just irritating more than anything, it's not as big a deal as people sometimes make it out to be especially if you're in it for the short term (couple of years, like you said).
I believe the fuel pump replacements are free up to 120K Miles now. Yeah i wouldn't mind replacing the fuel pump a few times, all cars have their problems, and it will be under warranty so as long as i don't have to pay im happy.

Already have my List of Mods
JB3
DCI
VC-2 Meth Kit
AR Catless DP's
AMS FMIC
LSD
Old 10-11-10, 01:11 AM
SupraGT3
Driver School Candidate

A Supra with over 135k miles is going to be unreliable. Their build qulity and reliability is less than the NSX. The Supra look soooooooooooooooo outdated.

My suggestion is to opt for a brand new vehicle. Get something like a Nissan 370z or Mazdaspeed 3. Or lease the 335i.

Not from roll.... the old NA1 NSX 5-spd will eat the IS350 for lunch at high speeds, in the highways for example. Oh and in the turns.... breakfast and brunch included.

this is the type of ignorant posts that give people all these misconceptions.

In terms of sports car reliability, it doesn't get much better than a supra. Take a look at the link I posted a few threads back. Plenty of examples of 150k mi + supra's pushing more than 5-600rwhp. That's twice the hp that came stock on stock internals.

You would be hard pressed to find an NSX doing those numbers at that mileage.

anyways, not trying to convince anyone to get any specific car. Different strokes for different folks. Just stop spreading ignorant information.
Old 10-11-10, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Come on, guys.....let's keep it civil.
Old 10-11-10, 10:00 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Well that went downhill, not necessary.

Certainly a interesting and diverse listing of cars to cross-shop.

Last edited by IS-SV; 10-11-10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-11-10, 11:51 PM
1sexyIS300
Driver School Candidate

NSX is way sexier.
Old 10-15-10, 09:48 PM
TokerIS350
Lexus Test Driver

+1

Everything he said makes sense.
I've raced MS3 on highways and I didn't stand a chance. Those little mazdas do work from a roll.

Like he said their significantly lighter as well

I have been monitoring your posts.. I see the last 20 or 30 of your posts are magazine racing.. you are constantly going by the acceleration tests from dig from the magazine source (your favorite Road&Track with the best time obtained on the IS350). All these numbers you keep posting are not from roll. The result will not come out the same when actually taking each cars and run them from roll... To my knowledge there are no magazine sources that actually tested the cars from rolling speeds (don't count the lame 5-to-60 pull), they are all from dig. You also need to note that the reason why MS3 does so poorly from the start is due to the traction loss being FWD and the boost cut from low gears to minimize torque steer. Also having to manually rowing through such short gears you lose even more time. Relying on acceleration from dig is nowhere accurate to determine the acceleration from rolling start. It has been proven that MS3's do excel compare to many other cars once it's moving at higher speeds. IS350 is exactly the opposite, it is designed for 0-60 and 0-quarter mile but it doesn't stay strong as it picks up speed. The third gear pull is just not as strong as some of us anticipated... and it gets MUCH worse on 4th gear which is due to tall gearing. 4th gear is pretty damn weak. I can get up to 100 mph quicker with a completely stock MS3 than with an IS350. You don't even need to mod the MS3 to do this, the stock one suffice it. Getting up to 130+ mph it's game over... IS350 can't keep up the rate. I am well experienced in both cars but you haven't driven the MS3 and fully test it.

And of course the MS3 gets even faster exiting out of the corner or in strong turns due to the manual transmission and better suspension system. You are also forgetting the fact that the MS3 weighs nearly 400 lbs lighter than the IS350 in addition to the better gearing at higher speeds. MS3 is most definitely the faster car from roll (anywhere from 60~ top speed). It pulls hard gradually where the IS350 doesn't, meaning running out of steam.

Old 10-16-10, 02:03 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Cool...now the conversation has shifted to what is the fastest stop light racer.

Clearly that should be the most important factor in choosing a new car.
Old 10-16-10, 08:00 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unfortunately for meowcat 95% of his post is demonstrably and factually incorrect. The other 5% argues for points I already agreed with (100 to 140 or 100 to 150 MPH comparative roll acceleration results) and were demonstrably redundant.

I have no interest in arguing for the sake of arguing, however. I only have an interest in making sure correct information is being dealt out so that the OP may make a properly-informed decision. The OP has already reiterated that he has no interest in purchasing the cars that meowcat deceptively touts as "faster" than the OP's current car (IS350), and therefore there is no point in further discussion.
Old 10-17-10, 10:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Cool...now the conversation has shifted to what is the fastest stop light racer.

Clearly that should be the most important factor in choosing a new car.
Resembles GIGO, who knows or cares anymore as to topic.
Old 10-17-10, 03:35 PM
LexFather

A Supra with over 135k miles is going to be unreliable. Their build qulity and reliability is less than the NSX. The Supra look soooooooooooooooo outdated.

My suggestion is to opt for a brand new vehicle. Get something like a Nissan 370z or Mazdaspeed 3. Or lease the 335i.

Not from roll.... the old NA1 NSX 5-spd will eat the IS350 for lunch at high speeds, in the highways for example. Oh and in the turns.... breakfast and brunch included.

DaveGS4 chimed in b/c his wife owned a NSX and they modifed it. I think he might know a "little" about the car as an OWNER.

I have been monitoring your posts.. I see the last 20 or 30 of your posts are magazine racing..

Monitoring posts? Who are you big brother? Knock off the personal commentary. If someone said the same thing about your last 20-30 posts they can come to some conclusions as well.