Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 04:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the 7 Series and the S class have moved up one level, IMO they are more like a super flags, closer to a Bentley than a classic flagshil. Not sure if the A8 is in the same league.
Well to be fair you need to wait for the A8's redesign. Early reports have mentioned it's going to be one hell of a car. Unfortunately its development program has suffered from a litany of delays...going to be interesting to see how the final product shakes up.
Old 12-13-15, 10:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Well to be fair you need to wait for the A8's redesign. Early reports have mentioned it's going to be one hell of a car. .
I know I should wait till the next gen A8 comes out, but my point was that the new 7 Series and S-class have been positioned one step higher than the classic flagship of the past. More like a super flagship where the current A8 does quite reach.
Old 12-13-15, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the 7 Series and the S class have moved up one level, IMO they are more like a super flagship, closer to a Bentley than a classic flaship. Not sure if the A8 is in the same league.
The other side of the coin is that Bentley and Rolls are the ones falling behind. The S600 Maybach is a prime example. The former two are getting by via their pedigree, prestige and marque.

S-Class and 7-Series have played their cards, and the A8, LS and XJ will soon join the party. All of which are said to shake up the segment again.

This will be one comparison shootout for the ages
Old 12-13-15, 01:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Like I said above, I went and looked at and sat in the new 7, I don't think it moves that notch higher like the S Class I agree does. It doesn't have that presence, and feels like a 7 series inside while the new S feels worlds better than the old S.

Once Audi and Lexus and Jaguar get to the party we will see how it fleshes out. That's one reason I got an LS now, I expect the new LS to be considerably more than I paid for mine, and LWB only.

In this class if $100k was what I could spend no way I would choose this new 7 over an S Class.
Old 12-13-15, 09:58 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of S-class owners are praising the new 7-series. It definitely seems to be ahead of the S-class as far as tech goes. I prefer the S-class' flashier interior design. I'll be checking out the new 7er myself when my schedule opens up in a couple weeks.

It will be interesting to see how the market responds. The A8 is a nice car but it is incredibly boring to look at which is probably the main reason why it doesn't sell. Hopefully the next gen A8 will have more personality. The Lexus LS is at least 5 years behind the competition at this point. They haven't re-designed the LS in nearly 10 years. A couple of facelifts don't count, I still remember seeing the current LS at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show and it's barely changed. The doors are identical.
Old 12-14-15, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The LS needs a redesign no doubt but to say it's barely changed isn't true. Yes, the door panels are essentially the same but what you don't point out is that they are the only interior component that are essentially the same. They and maybe the headliner. Dash, console, seats, user interface, all are totally different. Outside the whole front and rear clips are different. They've kept it current as best they could without a redesign.

I'm sure this 7 will sell well, it just wouldn't get my attention over an S Class.
Old 12-14-15, 02:48 PM
blacksun
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I sat in the new 7-series when the auto show was in town a couple of months ago. I think the exterior is bland and awkwardly proportioned, but the interior is REALLY nice. Pictures I've seen don't do it justice because there are a lot of thoughtful small details that you don't notice until you sit in it. It is very well executed.
Old 12-14-15, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely agree there. The car is much more compelling inside than out.
Old 12-14-15, 09:53 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the LS looks anything like this and takes cues from the LF-LC interior then it'll be a cut above.

Old 12-15-15, 12:24 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
If the LS looks anything like this and takes cues from the LF-LC interior then it'll be a cut above.
I think it will look very similar to the concept based on how both NX and RX turned out from the LF- NX concept. I would say that Lexus pretty much risked it all with the ( until now ) very conservative and plain RX design, and the RX is by far the most important car they have in an international perspective.

Lexus has a great opportunity with the LS design. S class is "classic luxury", 7 series is more or less "nothing" ( to be harsh) and I highly doubt that the new A8 will be anything spectacular based on that Audi never has made one before, regardless of model.
Old 12-15-15, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
In that regard, Panamera, Rapide, and Quattroporte better watch out
Old 12-15-15, 03:10 PM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new 7er is pretty handsome in my opinion WHEN it has the right options (aka when it has ///M sport package).

Another interior shot for kicks:

Last edited by BrownPride; 12-15-15 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-15-15, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The S Class is the same way IMHO, needs the sport package.
Old 12-15-15, 03:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
The new 7er is pretty handsome in my opinion WHEN it has the right options (aka when it has ///M sport package).

Another interior shot for kicks:
This looks pretty amazing. The front end is good and truthfully it's better than the spindle grille. S-Class and 7 series have really done it IMO.
Old 12-15-15, 04:14 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost every vehicle out there looks great with huge wheels and the "right" color combo. But facts is that 75% ( at least ) looks like this

Nothing wrong with that, but far far away from those "super camera + photoshop" pictures we often see.

Quick Reply: 2016 BMW 7-Series (G11) thread