GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

If the GS is so good, why are sales low?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 04:33 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
Honestly im not sure if you are serious by your last post.

I have never said anything bad about the GS in this thread here.
The fact that sales are lower in the US compared to last generation doesnt mean the car is poor.
The 4GS has been a huge UPGRADE over the last generation specifically offering the FSport package which have provided great driver dynamics.

Forums are for people to voice opinions, share ideas, issues, the good the bad and the ugly.
Thats how improvements are generally made.

This forum is not to pat Lexus on their back and turn a blind eye to shortcomings when we see them.

On the other hand, i do agree if a member starts a thread to bash a car in a specific model forum for no apparent reason. That is no good.
I happen to agree with you. I get that people don't like hearing that their baby is ugly. And I get that it can go to far. But I'm all for some good debate as you say about the good, bad and ugly.
Old 04-22-14, 07:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I happen to agree with you. I get that people don't like hearing that their baby is ugly. And I get that it can go to far. But I'm all for some good debate as you say about the good, bad and ugly.
That is not the case. People are completely ignoring facts being laid out thinking their opinion trumps it.

I think we all know the GS is not for everyone and has opportunities just like every other car out there. However too many people on the internet like to beat up a car for sales without even thinking that maybe the sales target was met.

Again it would be like us saying all SUVs sales are low since they do not sell like the Lexus RX. That obviously is not the case. Where are the threads and people beating up the X3, X5 or GLK, ML etc for not selling like a RX?

Sales are actually UP in 2014 thus far That fact also has been ignored.

Again anyone expecting the GS to sell like an E or 5 series just doesn't get it. It will never sell like those vehicles.
Old 04-22-14, 08:21 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
That is not the case. People are completely ignoring facts being laid out thinking their opinion trumps it.

I think we all know the GS is not for everyone and has opportunities just like every other car out there. However too many people on the internet like to beat up a car for sales without even thinking that maybe the sales target was met.

Again it would be like us saying all SUVs sales are low since they do not sell like the Lexus RX. That obviously is not the case. Where are the threads and people beating up the X3, X5 or GLK, ML etc for not selling like a RX?

Again anyone expecting the GS to sell like an E or 5 series just doesn't get it. It will never sell like those vehicles.
Amen, bro! Lexus needs to appeal to Worldwide markets to stay profitable. And I don't care where the 4GS sells the best. If it is China, so be it. That still means that Lexus will not only continue the model but continue improving it for all markets.
Old 04-23-14, 03:28 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by LexFather

I'm confused…what did I say that is not the case? You need to read my post in the context of the post I was quoting. As to folks "not getting it", that is purely your opinion. You are not stating facts yourself, you are simply saying your opinion is more important that the other opinions on this thread.
Old 04-23-14, 06:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You are not stating facts yourself, you are simply saying your opinion is more important that the other opinions on this thread.
Thats actually not the case, he's one of the only ones stating facts.

These are the facts:

1. When the 4GS was introduced their sales goals for it were 24,000 units per year.
2. In 2012 (the 4GS came out in Feb 2012 as a 2013 model) sales were 22,160 units in 10 months.
3. In 2013 sales were 19,742 units.
4. In March 2014 YTD sales were 5,358 over 3 months, which is up 31% from the same month in 2013.

These are facts. The car sold 17.2% short of goal in 2013, which is not nothing. But, sales of a very mildly refreshed car are up and on track to surpass that goal in 2014. Reasons for that are a matter of debate and opinion. But, the idea that the GS is a "poor seller" is just not the case, its a car that for whatever reason Lexus had fairly modest goals for, and for the most part it produces pretty close to those figures. Can't say it sells poorly when it sells to the manufacturer's expectations.

Like I said before, its not a zero sum game. Success comes in many different forms. If all of a sudden the 5 Series started selling 4k units a month, it would still be in second place relative to everybody else...but it still would be a problem because its underperforming relative to their goals.

Last edited by SW17LS; 04-23-14 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 08:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SW13GS

These are the facts:

1. When the 4GS was introduced their sales goals for it were 24,000 units per year.
2. In 2012 (the 4GS came out in Feb 2012 as a 2013 model) sales were 22,160 units in 10 months.
4. In March 2014 YTD sales were 5,358 over 3 months, which is up 31% from the same month in 2013.

These are facts. The car sold 17.2% short of goal in 2013, which is not nothing. But, sales of a very mildly refreshed car are up and on track to surpass that goal in 2014. Reasons for that are a matter of debate and opinion. But, the idea that the GS is a "poor seller" is just not the case, its a car that for whatever reason Lexus had fairly modest goals for, and for the most part it produces pretty close to those figures. Can't say it sells poorly when it sells to the manufacturer's expectations.

Like I said before, its not a zero sum game. Success comes in many different forms. If all of a sudden the 5 Series started selling 4k units a month, it would still be in second place relative to everybody else...but it still would be a problem because its underperforming relative to their goals.
Thank you. Not sure how this is being missed. No where am I or others saying the GS is an amazing selling vehicle, it is not. It is also not Lexus volume sedan, the ES is. Surely if there was no ES, the IS and GS sales would go up. That is not the reality and Lexus has an ES. The strategy works, Lexus is super profitable, the ES is the best selling sedan in class with the 3 series sedan, the IS exceeded targets last and this generation and the GS has sold more copied worldwide and nearly met its first year target and sales are up this year.

We also have addressed challenges the GS has, some do not like the looks, some do not like the price, marketing/advertising has been good but not great. Etc etc. Nowhere has anyone stated the GS doesn't have opportunities.

Did the GS sell over 30k units some years? Yes it did. Would Lexus like to reach those numbers here again? Yes they would. Quoting 2006/2007 numbers for any car is skewed as that is right before the bubble burst. Heck Lexus was selling 3k LS 460s a month, an insane number! Today they revised the goal and are happy with 1k a month.

If we look the A6 and GS are fighting for 3rd/4th most months and are far behind the 5/E? How come no one calls the A6 a failure or slams it or questions it? Mind you a ton of their volume are FWD, CVT, I-4 cars starting at what 43k? (I am leaving out the CTS for now since it just moved up into this class)
Old 04-23-14, 08:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sitting here at a wheel repair place waiting on a little scuff to be repaired on the GS. The owner of the shop came in and told me how much he loved my new GS, and how when he first saw it he thought it was the LS, etc etc. I get that kind of thing a lot...I never had anybody comment about either of my ESs or LSs...

So...I like it being rare. Its such a nice change from driving the ES which is just everywhere.
Old 04-23-14, 10:19 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

What would be fun to know, profit margin for Lexus per model? I would think that the SUV's give them the highest margin. Then the LS, GS,,IS and bring up the rear the high volume ES. Anyone know? Could explain Lexus market streg.
Old 04-23-14, 11:09 AM
jjscsix
Racer

These are the facts:

You guys are stating that the rest of us are ignoring facts. No, we are not. Most of us have not argued whether sales are up, down or sideways. We are simply stating our opinion about what we think is holding the car back from selling more than it is.

On the other hand you just showed us the facts and it turns out that even your facts says that sales are not meeting expectations. I don't know what you do for a living, but I have been in sales and marketing for 40 years and I can tell you that in big companies, 17% is a big miss.
Old 04-23-14, 11:24 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as I complain about Lexus "losing the fire" that attracted me to the brand years ago, I do like the new GS very much. I'm tired of a full size car and want something the size of a GS. I do appreciate Lexus' reliability, quality and interior amenities/experience. I like the exterior appearance of the GS F-Sport so much that I'd over look the lack of power. However, I don't like the fact that I cannot have luxurious features like rain sensing wipers, heated and ventilated front seats. Power rear sunshade I can do without. But I've REALLY come to LOVE rain sensing wipers (I mention it all the time on other forums) and ventilated front seats for me are a must and heated for my wife is a must. I don't understand why I MUST sacrifice these important things to get the model GS I want.
Old 04-23-14, 11:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

On the other hand you just showed us the facts and it turns out that even your facts says that sales are not meeting expectations. I don't know what you do for a living, but I have been in sales and marketing for 40 years and I can tell you that in big companies, 17% is a big miss.
And I acknowledged that in my post, however sales are up 30% vs last year.

As for the reason for that dip, my opinion is that the 2013 had already been out a year by the time Feb 2013 rolled around. I think the dip in sales was due to the fact that it was such a long year, essentially unchanged. The performance of the very mildly altered 2014 supports that notion I think.

Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
I like the exterior appearance of the GS F-Sport so much that I'd over look the lack of power. However, I don't like the fact that I cannot have luxurious features like rain sensing wipers, heated and ventilated front seats.
Just FYI, the F Sport comes standard with rain sensing wipers and heated/ventilated front seats. Even the premium package GS has those features. The IS has those shortcomings in F Sport trim, but not the GS.

GS F Sport also has a power rear sunshade, but not manual rear door sunshades like the GS Luxury package.

The features the GS F Sport lacks that the GS Luxury has are as follows:
-Semi-aniline leather
-Some front seat adjustments
-3 zone climate/rear climate and audio control
-Adaptive lighting
-Manual rear sunshades
Old 04-23-14, 11:47 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just FYI, the F Sport comes standard with rain sensing wipers and heated/ventilated front seats. Even the premium package GS has those features. The IS has those shortcomings in F Sport trim, but not the GS.
Are you 100% certain about that? When I do a "build" at my local dealer in 33401 (zip code), I don't see it... If those options are definitely there, than a GS F-Sport will be back on my shopping list for July...

All I'd need to do, in that case, is replace the aluminum or whatever for wood grain in the interior.

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 04-23-14 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 11:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I am 200% certain. Lexus' website just sucks.

You can see the dual switches at the top of the console, one for heat, one for cooling, you can clearly also see the "AUTO" button at the tip of the windshield wiper stalk:

Old 04-23-14, 12:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

For such great cars, yes the Website is horrid. Time to update
Old 04-23-14, 02:21 PM
LexFather

Ive complained about Lexus website for a decade now...it is average at best.

FYI Sal, pretty much every GS has those cooled/heated seat features...real leather standard too....

Quick Reply: If the GS is so good, why are sales low?