GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Check Engine Light -O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-09, 03:08 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Check Engine Light -O2 sensor

OK guys I got the engine check light (GS 300-2000) pop up yesterday then I went to Autozone ealier to scan it with their OBDII reader and here is the results :

The PCM has determined that a malfuction exists in the heater circuit for oxyen sensor 2 bank 1.

what is that sensor 2 bank 1 ? Where do find that and how do i replace ? Any good source to buy ? does that happen to u guys b4 ??

Thanks for any input,

Andy
Old 02-10-09, 03:29 PM
bursond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Euro09
OK guys I got the engine check light (GS 300-2000) pop up yesterday then I went to Autozone ealier to scan it with their OBDII reader and here is the results :

The PCM has determined that a malfuction exists in the heater circuit for oxyen sensor 2 bank 1.

what is that sensor 2 bank 1 ? Where do find that and how do i replace ? Any good source to buy ? does that happen to u guys b4 ??

Thanks for any input,

Andy
This sensor is on one of Cats. I believe the top. These sensors can be expensive $150-$200 if I remember right, be aware of the cheap ones non-OEM . I had to replace both of the sensors on my GS3 and both of the sensors on my 2002 IS. Just make sure you replace it with the OEM! I bought mine from the dealer. Sorry. Hopefully someone might have better news for you. This was my experience.
***FYI, get this sensor replace ASAP. Your car is running at 75% with that light on. You will use more gas...
Old 02-10-09, 03:40 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bursond
This sensor is on one of Cats. I believe the top. These sensors can be expensive $150-$200 if I remember right, be aware of the cheap ones non-OEM . I had to replace both of the sensors on my GS3 and both of the sensors on my 2002 IS. Just make sure you replace it with the OEM! I bought mine from the dealer. Sorry. Hopefully someone might have better news for you. This was my experience.
***FYI, get this sensor replace ASAP. Your car is running at 75% with that light on. You will use more gas...
bursound,

I appreciated for your response. You said the sensor is on one of cats do u mean the one on the top near the cylinder or the one located downstream that mounted in or after the catalytic converter (like under your car where u sit it) ??? How do u order it from the Dealer ?? I mean how did they know which O2 sensor you want to buy ??
Old 02-10-09, 04:50 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sensor two is the one on the y-pipe cat, not the ones on the manifold. It could be that the cat is running below the efficient level, or the sensor needs to be replaced. Your car should'n't run less efficient, only sensors 1 do. But you definately want to take care of it asap. Good luck.
Old 02-10-09, 08:20 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mex lex
Sensor two is the one on the y-pipe cat, not the ones on the manifold. It could be that the cat is running below the efficient level, or the sensor needs to be replaced. Your car should'n't run less efficient, only sensors 1 do. But you definately want to take care of it asap. Good luck.
Thanks mexlex I will look at the y-pipe cat tomorrow see is there any and does this happen to u b4?? Anyone here ever buy that O2 Sensor from Carson Toyota or swellexus ??? Do they have one ??
Old 02-10-09, 08:37 PM
bursond
Pole Position

bursound,

I appreciated for your response. You said the sensor is on one of cats do u mean the one on the top near the cylinder or the one located downstream that mounted in or after the catalytic converter (like under your car where u sit it) ??? How do u order it from the Dealer ?? I mean how did they know which O2 sensor you want to buy ??
Yes it is on the y-pipe. You can do a couple of things: first find out what the trouble codes are (you said sensor 2 bank 1; if this is correct go/call any Lexus dealer and talk to the parts department and let them know what the diagnostic computer read. Although, I would highly recommend you replace both. Usually when one goes bad the other one will soon follow. Good Luck.
Old 02-10-09, 08:38 PM
bursond
Pole Position

Thanks mexlex I will look at the y-pipe cat tomorrow see is there any and does this happen to u b4?? Anyone here ever buy that O2 Sensor from Carson Toyota or swellexus ??? Do they have one ??
yes, they both will have it no problem!
Old 02-10-09, 08:50 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stand in front of your car looking at the windshield, bank 1 is the right side, its the second sensor (the one closest to the ground). Its easy to replace, and do what everybody is telling you and buy a denso/oem sensor.
Old 02-10-09, 08:51 PM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you order the part, you tell them its the downstream 02 sensor.
Old 02-10-09, 09:02 PM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
When you order the part, you tell them its the downstream 02 sensor.
your da MAN I will call my lexus dealer see what they quote me. Any one here bought that from Carson Toyota ? and how much are they ?
Old 02-10-09, 09:40 PM
lilsharky
Pole Position

you can look around in ebay for denso and do a diy
Old 02-11-09, 07:49 AM
Euro09
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lilsharky
you can look around in ebay for denso and do a diy
Really?? we have a DIY for that ?? woo hoo man I wish we have that cause I dont wana pay for those labor where Ic an do it.
Old 02-11-09, 08:28 AM
bursond
Pole Position

Really?? we have a DIY for that ?? woo hoo man I wish we have that cause I dont wana pay for those labor where Ic an do it.
Need small hands or special wrench, LOL

Found this on another forum:

How to change GS300 02 Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2 Code P0141
I completed this task and added this info into the GS forum and thought it belonged here.

I had a problem looking for someone on this website to show me how to install and located Bank 1 Sensor 2 02 sensor for my 2000 Lexus GS300. After doing research and finding a great 02 sensor part guy on ebay I took on the challenge and found it very easy to do once you get the right part and tool to do the job.

Tools needed or what I used:
* Stanley 3/4 drive expandable ratchet
* 02 Sensor removal socket wrench (to remove the 02 sensor)
* 10mm socket 3/4 drive (to disconnect battery cables)
* Small flat head screwdriver (to detach sensor male and female part)
* Liquid Wrench by GUNK or other lubricating spray to loosen sensor
WD40 would probably work also
* Small flashlight to locate sensor from top of engine
* 02 Sensor Part #14260 from PartREX - ebay name te_x_as
Great communication and excellent support from these guys. The cord length was a little shorter than the original but had enough slack and more to finish the job. I think you can also use the same sensor part for the front one which is bank 1 Sensor 1.

** Photo taken with hood up and looking down into the engine on the passenger side. Bank 1 Sensor 2 is the bottom one circled in yellow. Easy to remove with the Stanley 3/8 drive expandable ratchet.

I listed the tools used and also the correct sensor to change for Bank 1 Sensor 2. The expandable Stanley ratchet was bought from Wal-Mart and came with standard socket set, not metric which I wanted. Paid about $28 for it. The 02 Sensor removal 3/8 drive socket wrench was bought also from ebay for $7 + $5 shipping = $12 from ebay name up4salebytaw. I seen it at Checkers Auto later but don't remember the cost. Liquid Wrench by GUNK was about $2.29 at Wal-Mart also. I know the LEXUS dealer would charge over $250++ to change it, so I tried and found it very easy to do.

1. Park your car in the shade, lift engine hood, wait 1/2 hour until engine is cooler so you can spray the Liquid Wrench around the base of the sensor. FIRST DISCONNECT THE CAR BATTERY (negative side first, positive side second ) once you know the error code (P0141) and before you start spraying or removing anything.
2. After 1/2 hour respray another small dose of Liquid Wrench around sensor and unhook 2 plastic black clips that hold the sensor wires together.
3. Remove the sensor socket area (which is attached to the car) by sliding it in a forward motion. This will make it easier to attach and see how the sensor fitting fits.
4. With a small flat head screwdriver look at the gray female sensor area where you can put a flat head screwdriver to push down a release clip. Keep the clip pressed down and pull apart. The male and female part will easily come apart when pulled.
5. Next attach the 02 Sensor wrench socket to the bottom Bank 1 Sensor 2 Sensor and once fitted on, attach your expandable ratchet and set it for left to loosen.
6. Loosen sensor by pulling up on the ratchet handle loose.
7. Remove 02 sensor wrench and unscrew the rest by hand until 02 sensor is out.
8. Wipe down with paper towel the sensor area where you sprayed the Liquid Wrench.
9. Hand tighten the new 02 Sensor (te_x_as part #14260) and finish tightening with 02 sensor wrench and ratchet until tight as an oil drain plug. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN or you may strip the treads.
10. Attach gray plastic male end to female end.
11. Slide back and attach gray plastic male and female part to clip on body.
12. Put back black plastic wire holders.
13. Re-connect the battery terminals with 10mm socket. (positive side first, negative side second)
14. All Done. You will have to reset your radio stations and A/C settings again.
15. Done fast and easy without even jacking up your car!
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light -O2 sensor-bank1_sensor2_diagram.jpg  
Old 02-11-09, 08:29 AM
bursond
Pole Position

Here is another diagram...
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light -O2 sensor-b1s1_schematic.jpg  
Old 02-11-09, 08:30 AM
bursond
Pole Position

Exclamation