LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 09:06 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Battle of SuperCars LFA vs R8

Opinions on this lastest installment of Battle of Supercars (Super Coups)once again Tanner is driving a Lexus this time the LFA which ends in draw. It just looks like he not taking this race or show very seriously if you watch show and listen to comments he makes and the way he drives its like he not trying very hard, maybe it's just me i don't know, thats why I feel you need to take what you see on these show with grain of salt. Here is quick break down of the 4 races.

1. Standing mile - when tanner is asked how is he going to beat R8 "I know there is mode where you can put it in neutral I grab first gear and it dumps into gear" well he blow the launch and admits that at the end of race " I flat out failed all I had to do was launch correctly the Lexus picked up ball on that one" lucky LFA runs down R8 and wins race.
Win LFA 30.58 sec 166.3mph R8 30.64 166.1mph

2. Top Speed Run - Tanner does put LFA into sport mode, shifting are set to maxium but admits he was unable to lower rear wing and feels that it may cost him any were between 4 to 6mph due to drag. LFA loses to R8 by 1mph Tanners comment at the end of race "I could not figure how to bring down the wing and thought it really did not matter" well it mattered.
Win R8 185.1mph vs LFA 184.1

3. 0-100-0 - in this one Tanner does make good observation regarding LFA ceramic breaks need to be hot to perform at there best he got that right. You can tell he using the launch control properly now actual comes out the hole tad quicker than R8 and is up front the entire time but R8 wins this one out breaks LFA by 2 feet.
Win R8 13.8 sec 1,167 ft vs LFA 14.4 sec 1,169 ft

4. Road Course - Tanner once again has horrible launch Paul rips off line while Tanner in LFA does even move for about half second but the time LFA move off line R8 is over car length ahead. Tanner catches up gets the inside line pass R8 and wins the race 1 sec faster than R8.
Win LFA 44.9 sec vs R8 45.9 sec

Of the 4 race Tanner had he made mistakes in three of them accept for 0-100-0. In that race R8 out performed LFA Tanner had great launch just lost to great car with good breaks had the LFA breaks been hot may have been different out come. This show how great of a car LFA is even thow the driver made some critical mistakes the car was still able beat R8 in two races that it could have lost and the Top Speed run which it should have won.
Old 10-19-10, 10:33 AM
melbitoast
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

You know, each time I've seen Tanner drive a Lexus, he muffs the **** of it. I'm beginning to think he's biased b/c I've seen him hand Paul his *** in other matchups.
Old 10-19-10, 11:01 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

^^ More like "User Error" on all counts..... LoL

Even when the so called "Pros" are at the wheel...

The only tests I would trust would be if a driver (like lets say) Scott Pruet was behind the wheel..

Joe Z
Old 10-19-10, 11:17 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Not sure if anyone else noticed...

But there seems to now maybe be 2 Pearl Yellow LFA's floating around the Globe..?!!

We have the one that arrived in the USA in August..

Basic Specs = USA

Pearl Yellow Exterior
Black Alcantara Interior
Black Brembo Calipers
Dark Premium Metallic Wheels
Left hand drive

and

Now we have the one shown below in Japan, where this Video was taken.
(I think)

Basic Specs = Japan Video

Pearl Yellow Exterior
Saddle Tan Interior
Blue Brembo Calipers
Light Premium Metallic Wheels
Left hand drive (oddly enough)

I wonder if this "new" Yellow LFA was a repaint or built from the ground up.?!
or
Even better, maybe it's the same one as the one that landed here in the US and could be that they shot this Video before they Air shipped it..

Then when it arrived here in the US, they swapped out interiors & brakes with the NOW redone Pearl Gray LFA.

Which now has Blue Calipers & Saddle Interior.. LoL Very Strange

Lots of theories, but I have NOT seen this second Yellow LFA pop up anywhere else, besides this Video.

Discuss

Joe Z

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-19-10 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-19-10, 11:36 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There may very well be two yellow LFAs. More pre-production LFAs continue to appear as Lexus prepares for production.

That tan interior looks great!
Old 10-19-10, 11:41 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I wound up missing the Pearl Yellow LFA by about half an hour. It apparently left Lexus of Henderson to go to the annual dealership meeting for Lexus/Canada, which is on the strip somewhere.

I was told by the LFA guys that it's actually probably going to yellow LFA that is shown off at SEMA (I recall reading somewhere that the Pearl Grey was supposed to be the one there). SEMA is really fun, even if always crowded.

Originally Posted by rominl
did they say anything about having more potential options down the road (if become available)?
They didn't mention anything in our interactions, although I can ask. I actually never gave it any thought - I guess because on the track, I'm going to have separate wheel/tire sets anyway. I guess I'm not as concerned about the OEM tire performance for public roads. (Now, manufacturer support for racing compound tires? That would be something amazing.)
Old 10-19-10, 11:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I wound up missing the Pearl Yellow LFA by about half an hour. It apparently left Lexus of Henderson to go to the annual dealership meeting for Lexus/Canada, which is on the strip somewhere.

I was told by the LFA guys that it's actually probably going to yellow LFA that is shown off at SEMA (I recall reading somewhere that the Pearl Grey was supposed to be the one there). SEMA is really fun, even if always crowded.

They didn't mention anything in our interactions, although I can ask. I actually never gave it any thought - I guess because on the track, I'm going to have separate wheel/tire sets anyway. I guess I'm not as concerned about the OEM tire performance for public roads. (Now, manufacturer support for racing compound tires? That would be something amazing.)
yeah that's what i was thinking, wonder if they will have something more geared towards racing
Old 10-19-10, 11:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by davcrz5
Opinions on this lastest installment of Battle of Supercars (Super Coups)once again Tanner is driving a Lexus this time the LFA which ends in draw. It just looks like he not taking this race or show very seriously if you watch show and listen to comments he makes and the way he drives its like he not trying very hard, maybe it's just me i don't know, thats why I feel you need to take what you see on these show with grain of salt. Here is quick break down of the 4 races.

1. Standing mile - when tanner is asked how is he going to beat R8 "I know there is mode where you can put it in neutral I grab first gear and it dumps into gear" well he blow the launch and admits that at the end of race " I flat out failed all I had to do was launch correctly the Lexus picked up ball on that one" lucky LFA runs down R8 and wins race.
Win LFA 30.58 sec 166.3mph R8 30.64 166.1mph

2. Top Speed Run - Tanner does put LFA into sport mode, shifting are set to maxium but admits he was unable to lower rear wing and feels that it may cost him any were between 4 to 6mph due to drag. LFA loses to R8 by 1mph Tanners comment at the end of race "I could not figure how to bring down the wing and thought it really did not matter" well it mattered.
Win R8 185.1mph vs LFA 184.1

3. 0-100-0 - in this one Tanner does make good observation regarding LFA ceramic breaks need to be hot to perform at there best he got that right. You can tell he using the launch control properly now actual comes out the hole tad quicker than R8 and is up front the entire time but R8 wins this one out breaks LFA by 2 feet.
Win R8 13.8 sec 1,167 ft vs LFA 14.4 sec 1,169 ft

4. Road Course - Tanner once again has horrible launch Paul rips off line while Tanner in LFA does even move for about half second but the time LFA move off line R8 is over car length ahead. Tanner catches up gets the inside line pass R8 and wins the race 1 sec faster than R8.
Win LFA 44.9 sec vs R8 45.9 sec

Of the 4 race Tanner had he made mistakes in three of them accept for 0-100-0. In that race R8 out performed LFA Tanner had great launch just lost to great car with good breaks had the LFA breaks been hot may have been different out come. This show how great of a car LFA is even thow the driver made some critical mistakes the car was still able beat R8 in two races that it could have lost and the Top Speed run which it should have won.
moved here coz' there are a lot more content, and watch the videos, in 2nd run the r8 brake faded big time already
Old 10-19-10, 03:54 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 0-100-0 run they aired was just to give the R8 a chance. It was the first run of the bunch. The LFA's brakes weren't even warm, and everyone knows ceramic brakes need to be up to temperature before they optimally perform. MT got the LFA to 0 from 60mph in 94ft. That's as good as the GT3RS! And we know the GT3RS is basically a race car on the street. So yeah, obviously after the realization of that, I knew this show was just a sham. I just like seeing the cars and their #'s.

EDIT: About the tires. It seems the LFA was still wearing the Bridestone 'Potenzas' in this episode. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the special tires created for the LFA would be branded as such, and say LFA on them? So how can we say these are the final tires the LFA will have? I still think that these are just placement tires until the production unit is ready. Anyone have anything to confirm or deny that?

Last edited by TF109B; 10-19-10 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-19-10, 04:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TF109B
About the tires. It seems the LFA was still wearing the Bridestone 'Potenzas' in this episode. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the special tires created for the LFA would be branded as such, and say LFA on them? So how can we say these are the final tires the LFA will have? I still think that these are just placement tires until the production unit is ready. Anyone have anything to confirm or deny that?
What else would it be wearing???

The S001 is the only tire shown on the LFA, since its debut last year..

It's their "Flagship" tire.

Watch this Video, the 458 Italia tire tests are shown after the 4 minute mark..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHJX-tOVrA

Enjoy,

Joe Z
Old 10-19-10, 04:58 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

They are basically the same model of tires that 458 Italia comes stock from factory (as I mentioned before). They are called Bridgestone S001. Bridgestone created custom versions of this tire both for LFA and 458 Italia.

However, Ferrari chooses never to supply journalists who will be doing track tests with these tires on. Instead, Ferrari chooses to pick the custom version of Michelin Pilot PS2 version for the Ferrari 458 Italia that most likely have R-compounds and tread pattern at the shoulders from the PS2 cup tires. That is a lot of evidence that Ferrari feels these are fine tires for street use or occassional track days by general public, but not good enough for when test data is being published.

The 0-100-0 run they aired was just to give the R8 a chance. It was the first run of the bunch. The LFA's brakes weren't even warm, and everyone knows ceramic brakes need to be up to temperature before they optimally perform. MT got the LFA to 0 from 60mph in 94ft. That's as good as the GT3RS! And we know the GT3RS is basically a race car on the street. So yeah, obviously after the realization of that, I knew this show was just a sham. I just like seeing the cars and their #'s.

EDIT: About the tires. It seems the LFA was still wearing the Bridestone 'Potenzas' in this episode. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the special tires created for the LFA would be branded as such, and say LFA on them? So how can we say these are the final tires the LFA will have? I still think that these are just placement tires until the production unit is ready. Anyone have anything to confirm or deny that?
Old 10-19-10, 05:50 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Ok, that's not what I was saying. I said when the production car hits, the LFA brand is supposed to be on the tires. I read this somewhere, I'll have to find the link. But the S001 tires are not supposed to be the final LFA tires. They are Supposed to say bridgestone and LFA on the tires. Not Potenza. At least thats what I read from an interview with the LFA project manager. Maybe they will be the S001 tires, but I have a hunch they wont be.

Last edited by TF109B; 10-19-10 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-19-10, 06:21 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok, that's not what I was saying. I said when the production car hits, the LFA brand is supposed to be on the tires. I read this somewhere, I'll have to find the link. But the S001 tires are not supposed to be the final LFA tires. They are Supposed to say bridgestone and LFA on the tires. Not Potenza. At least thats what I read from an interview with the LFA project manager. Maybe they will be the S001 tires, but I have a hunch they wont be.
I was also told this at Joliet back in May (I posted about it previously in this same thread). Both the PS and one of the Central Area managers said that the tires are not going to be the Bridgestone S001s - in fact they stated outright that media reports at the time speculating as such were false.

I'd be happy to shoot off an e-mail just to ask them about this and also to try to get an answer to rominl's question about further tire development down the line.
Old 10-19-10, 06:29 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Talking

Originally Posted by gengar
I was also told this at Joliet back in May (I posted about it previously in this same thread). Both the PS and one of the Central Area managers said that the tires are not going to be the Bridgestone S001s - in fact they stated outright that media reports at the time speculating as such were false.

I'd be happy to shoot off an e-mail just to ask them about this and also to try to get an answer to rominl's question about further tire development down the line.
HAH! I would love to see that, just to rub it in the faces of people on other forums! I knew what I read was true! It was a while back too. I think it might have been the same article that stated the best for the ring was 'under 7:19'. Not sure, but that confirms it. Thanks for that tidbit of info. I can now say that I'm not crazy.
Old 10-19-10, 07:10 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

I fired off an email this afternoon to inquire what direction they are going with for final tires....

Maybe this is why there are NO OFFICIAL ring times from Lexus..

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)