IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

My IS Story: Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-05, 09:34 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NaFooEsi
I saw the car in person. It is sooo clean. I don't visit here often, but after talking with Glenn in person, I have to check it out here. I'm in awe with the devotion both of you put into the car. it's really a master piece down to the slightest details. Big props for all the efforts. Only if I knew about this car before the LMS meet, I'd spent more time checking out every inch of it. You da man, Glenn!

Jas

Jas,
it was a pleasure talking with you. If we do hold our big EOS meet next month , you are welcome to come up to NorCal and talk with us more.

More custom mods coming in the next few weeks so stay tuned.
Old 08-18-05, 09:39 PM
RMMGS4

I almost forgot to post pics of the polished FMIC. Due to the intercooler and piping I had clearance issues with installing the grill mesh in the center and the sides, so it looks like I'll have to fabricate something special beyond the standard grill install.

Ahhh so many mods, so little time.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-18-05 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 09:52 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
this IS story should be published with pics n all and offered for sale to us CL'ers. i love following this thread!!!

LOL,
Glad your enjoying it.

This started as being my wifes very first post. There was no intention or expectation that the thread would take on a life of it's own as it has.

To be honest, even I go back now and then to re-read what was posted.

We thought the mods would have ended long ago, but the mod bug just never goes away, it just thrives whenever it sees opportunity.
Old 08-18-05, 10:35 PM
eyedrop
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

INDGOGRL's IS has been an inspiration on my own modding.

Glen, your craftsmanship is trully amazing. It shows the passion you have for your cars, and that's how the CL community should be.

I hope one day I can witness your work...just like Brian do.

BTW, thanks to you, I made a purchase from one of the store you recommended in this thread. I'm so happy the part arrived today.

Thanks again...
Old 08-18-05, 10:43 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by eyedrop
INDGOGRL's IS has been an inspiration on my own modding.

Glen, your craftsmanship is trully amazing. It shows the passion you have for your cars, and that's how the CL community should be.

I hope one day I can witness your work...just like Brian do.

BTW, thanks to you, I made a purchase from one of the store you recommended in this thread. I'm so happy the part arrived today.

Thanks again...

Lucian,
there's been plenty of people who hang at my place just to talk, help out or watch what I'm doing. I always enjoy the company and it helps keep me going to put in the long hours I do to get these mods done. You're welcome to drop by, just PM me or give a call.

And don't be surprised if you come by and find other locals already there.
Old 08-18-05, 11:10 PM
RMMGS4

Default Clear Bra Install Stage II

Well, since I had to cut up the bumper to fit the intercooler, I decided to re-paint the front end. The first time around I cut my own Xpel template and applied it myself.

This second time around, I decided to have Sam at Premier Mobile do the install. I had seen a lot of his custom work done on other cars before and was very impressed. As much as I like to do things myself, I felt Sam was one that I could trust to do it right. My intuition did not fail me.

As his company name implies, I set an appointment for Sam to stop by my place to do the install. Since the car was undergoing a ton of work at the time, I could not afford to take the time to drive it, plus since the front end was recently painted, I didn't want to risk getting any rock chips.

The first thing about Premiers install is that they did not use pre cut film. Any install using pre cut film will leave a visible clear edge around the perimeter of the film.

There are several other down sides:
1 - Pre -cut never fits perfect so the gap between the edges is not even all around. Anyone using Xpel or other pre-cut films will experience this.

2- It will be a lot easier for people to notice the edges, especially on dark colored cars.

3 - Wax build up is always a pain to remove and it shows the edges even more.

4 - I have had Xpel on both cars for years and damn if within a month of installing it does some curious geek try to pull up a visible edge.

5 - Last but most important IMO, is that as luck has it, that small un-protected area near the edges is sure to be where you will get a rock chip. Been there done that on both my cars.

Last note is that Premier DOES NOT use 3M brand of film. MANY other clear film installers use 3M but just re-name it Xpel, Clear Amour, etc. The film Sam uses is FAR superior to 3M.

I can elaborate on the reasons why if asked, but to avoid sounding like an info-mercial, I will go on with the install.

First step is to stretch a roll of raw material film across the front.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-18-05 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-18-05, 11:12 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eyedrop
Alright, so whatcha get?

And Glen, I definitely want to continuing watching your cars evolve. I was thinking about stopping by your place tonight since I was at my office around the corner from your house. Anyhow, I'll be calling you in a few weeks for your assistance.
Old 08-18-05, 11:16 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by bchau_gt
Alright, so whatcha get?

And Glen, I definitely want to continuing watching your cars evolve. I was thinking about stopping by your place tonight since I was at my office around the corner from your house. Anyhow, I'll be calling you in a few weeks for your assistance.
NP Brian any time.

Just let me finish posting the clear bra mod before posting again , OK ?
Old 08-18-05, 11:30 PM
RMMGS4

You can see that Sam is doing a FULL WRAP around the side of the bumper. There are other shops that do this, but but I've seen some small imperfections. Also other shops that don't use pre-cut might not wrap all the way around for various reasons. Sam's install was flawless. I encourage any locals to check out their work and compare it with other's you've seen. Only then can you see the difference.

Premier has several tricks on their installs. One trick I can reveal is that if you can loosen your bumper from the body, they can wrap the film over the edge and underneath. The blue tape is there for visual purposes to see the separation from the body.

Take off the front grill too so that the film can go underneath.

Old 08-18-05, 11:52 PM
RMMGS4

I'd say the front end has about 98% coverage with clear film. Wherever cuts had to be made, the cut was clean and did not damage the paint.

I bought some raw film (inferior I might add) for my previous DIY install and I'd estimate the amount of material that Sam used could easily retail for $150. It took two people about 4 hours to complete the job. Before anyone jumps to conclusions, I DID pay a chunk of money to have this work done. Sam does not sponsor me, YET !

Being that I myself take pride in good workmanship and I know how much time it took to do this job, I can tell you I am happy paying them what I paid. I saw a $900 Porsche Install last night that couldn't touch it, especially at roughly double the price.

I've seen other less expensive installs and there's nothing wrong with them, they're just not as good as what Premier Mobile did, hands down.

The old cliche' "You get what you pay for" applies HERE

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-19-05 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-19-05, 06:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 294 Likes on 176 Posts

As usual Glen, you never fail to inspire the rest of us and as expected you always raise the bar of "modding" higher and higher.

Needless to say, the SC looks awesome and I am sure you will post dyno results when you have had a chance to dyno the car. Looking forward to that.

I noticed that you went to a lot of trouble protecting your bumper (and it looks just amazing, especially the part about the edges that you made so clear. I know I have pre-cut film on just my headlights and the edges are not uniform around the headlights and it bugs the hell out of me).

Did you cover your headlights and fogs too? Were they done the same way as the bumper by taking them out and having the film go underneath?

I noticed you did not cover the leading edge of the hood. Any particular reason why?
Old 08-19-05, 07:03 AM
RMMGS4

Thanks Hameed. You can bet that some of the mods tried on the IS will transfer over to the GS down the road.

The hood and headlights were pre-cut pieces from the original install when we first started modding the car. I only re-did the bumper.

I had the option to wrap entire hood over the edges, but ya never know if a hood mod will come some time in the future.

Hard to say.
Old 08-19-05, 11:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hameed, just in case, that's an is300, not sc
Old 08-19-05, 11:40 AM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
hameed, just in case, that's an is300, not sc

Henry, i think hameed meant SC as in Supercharger.

Last edited by mikal; 08-19-05 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-19-05, 11:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ohohoh, gotcha. damn, so much for not getting into the FI world

Quick Reply: My IS Story: Day 1