Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question about Daizen Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 06:45 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about Daizen Control Arm Bushings

Has anyone who installed these bushings NOT gotten completely rid of the dreaded vibration at around 62 mph? Please respond with whether or not you ever had it, and whether or not it is completely gone somewhat gone, etc. I don't want to drop $600 and not have this annoyance fixed.
Old 05-18-06, 07:17 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i'd like to know also.. i have the bushings kit just sitting around but don't know if i want them installed yet.. i got the sway bar bushings installed and i still have the vibration..
Old 05-18-06, 08:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Isn't it amazing that we all have this. 62 mph on the nose for me. Vibrations galore every time I pass by it.
Old 05-18-06, 08:42 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

vibration gone at any speed including cold tire warm up
Old 05-18-06, 08:47 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say my self my vibration is complete gone. But I also changed my upper control arms and both lower ball joints when I changed my Daizen Control arm bushings So I spent around $1200.00 but the GS needed it with a 100k on it and I must say money well spent
Old 05-18-06, 10:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, this is something. i don't know what to suggest since i don't have any vibrations anymore after the bushings, i gues my overall suspension isn't too bad yet.
Old 05-18-06, 11:14 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say if f your car has either:

1. over 80k miles

2. has been lowered, braced and sway bars for a few years

The bushings will start to take a beating. At that point the bushings are "atleast" a contributing factor, but not neccessarily the only cause. So 100% guaranteed vibration removal? Maybe not.

Make sure that the higher probability items are investigated, before starting down the road of alignment, ball joints or bushings.

Usually alignment is not the cause of vibration. The first place to investigate is for an out-of-round or out-of-balance tire/wheel assembly.

Now there are wheel balancers and then there are "WHEEL BALANCERS".

Standard recommendations I hear are to go to a shop that uses a Hunter Tire Balancer. Not good enough.

Go to a shop that has a Hunter GSP-9700 Tire Balancer. This is THE MOTHER of all balancers.

The 9700 simulates vehicle weight with a "load roller' that applies the equivalent of the cars weight to the tire while rotating. This type of balancer uses two weight-planes for up and down and side to side balance.

The 9700 uses what they call Wheel Force Variation to detect tire anomalies that cause vibrations.

Tire balance is the big-hitter. Alignment and bushings are small fry.

Make sure to try this first before going on to bushings, alignment, etc. Hit the big ones first.

If the shop you try doesn't have a Hunter 9700, run, don't walk away. Whatever excuses they may have as to why it's not necessary, it's just to cover their inferiority, ignorance or both.

We own a Lexus, plus we spend good money on upgrading it's suspension/tires/wheels.

Don't cheap out by having a run-of-the-mill tire balance.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-02-06 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 07:36 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the responses. I looked and the cheapest place to get the Hunter balance locally is $110 bucks so I guess that will be next.
Old 05-19-06, 09:18 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

glen is right however , i have founfd that the primary source to or shimmy/vibration is the castor arm bushing.. its so poorly designed.... its made for comfort not performance .. that arm is responsible for keepiing your castor angle within factory range while driving.. once this rubber bushing gets worn your castor moves whiles driving which affects toe in and out hence vibrations..

i did my daizen stuff in stages and i did the castor arm bushing first , once i did that never had any problem thereafter.. my susp is so tight in fact i believe too tight for street driving i am looking into some ways in loosening things up a tad

do what glenn recc get the hunter road force done , check the wear patterns on your tire to make sure you do not also have irregular wear going on due to alignment , and then if anything do the castor arm bushing , i do have a extra arm with bushing already in there i could sell you so its a easy swap no labor involved in getting the other bushing out and zero down time
Old 05-19-06, 09:41 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
glen is right however , i have founfd that the primary source to or shimmy/vibration is the castor arm bushing.. its so poorly designed.... its made for comfort not performance .. that arm is responsible for keepiing your castor angle within factory range while driving.. once this rubber bushing gets worn your castor moves whiles driving which affects toe in and out hence vibrations..

i did my daizen stuff in stages and i did the castor arm bushing first , once i did that never had any problem thereafter.. my susp is so tight in fact i believe too tight for street driving i am looking into some ways in loosening things up a tad

do what glenn recc get the hunter road force done , check the wear patterns on your tire to make sure you do not also have irregular wear going on due to alignment , and then if anything do the castor arm bushing , i do have a extra arm with bushing already in there i could sell you so its a easy swap no labor involved in getting the other bushing out and zero down time

I agree with you Ed. The castor bushing is def one of the next likely culprits.

On my car I swapped the bushings at 50k and it got rid of my brake vibration that felt EXACTLY like warped rotors. Looking at the old bushings, only one of them had any visible wear and yet my vibration is completely gone now. I wonder how many people are changing or turning rotors when the actual problem is bad bushings.

I'm curious to see if all or part of STONERs problem goes away with the tire balance. Next would be those bushings, unless he had say under 50k miles on his car.
Old 05-19-06, 08:31 PM
the hustler07
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my bushing install about 2-3 weeks ago at Aliga's brother shop. And my vibration is gone....but, I also changed the shocks, springs, front rotors. So, I don't know if that was the cause and i haven't even done the alignment yet.
Old 05-21-06, 05:17 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by the hustler07
I just had my bushing install about 2-3 weeks ago at Aliga's brother shop. And my vibration is gone....but, I also changed the shocks, springs, front rotors. So, I don't know if that was the cause and i haven't even done the alignment yet.
What was the cost for labor there? I may end up taking a trip up north to get this done.
Old 05-21-06, 12:52 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i had the vibration also around that speed. after changing the bushings the vibrations reduced but did not go away. i then changed the outer tie rod and that made the vibrations go away, hope that helps.
Old 06-02-06, 05:46 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
I agree with you Ed. The castor bushing is def one of the next likely culprits.

On my car I swapped the bushings at 50k and it got rid of my brake vibration that felt EXACTLY like warped rotors. Looking at the old bushings, only one of them had any visible wear and yet my vibration is completely gone now. I wonder how many people are changing or turning rotors when the actual problem is bad bushings.

I'm curious to see if all or part of STONERs problem goes away with the tire balance. Next would be those bushings, unless he had say under 50k miles on his car.
I just dropped the car off to have the Hunter 9700 balance done. I will keep you guys posted as to my results. I have 82K on my odo so in the next 10k I will probably do the bushings as well.
Old 06-02-06, 10:07 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Default Shimmy Is G-g-g-g-one

Hunter 9700 is the best. I am really pleased with the results and the shop was able to identify the wheel that was causing the whole deal. Left rear was at a 36 whatever that means. Mechanic said that anything over a 19 is noticeable to the driver. I think the problem was the hubcentric balance performed at the GoodYear shop. Our cars need to be balanced LUG-centrically apparently. I am anxious to see the long term effect. Hopefully my troubles are gone.

http://www.gsp9700.com/ for all your shimmy solutions.

Drove around a little tonight and it's still there but barely noticeable, and I was looking for it.

Last edited by STONER; 06-02-06 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about Daizen Control Arm Bushings