ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil change tool

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-08, 10:19 AM
rhudson2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change tool

What is this special service tool that is referred to in the oil change process ? Does anyone have a picture ? thanks
Old 04-02-08, 10:37 AM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

This link should help.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...filter-change/

Also this one will give you some help on the wrench
Assenmacher model TOY640 oil filter cap/wrench

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...50-oil-change/

These cost about $15 IIRC - others will probably work - I bought this one.

Last edited by samathews; 04-02-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-02-08, 11:15 AM
rhudson2
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the help but could not access the site without signing in and signing on frankly is a pia but may do it at a leter date. thanks for the help
Old 04-04-08, 04:30 PM
n2cars
Driver School Candidate

I got in without having to sign in. there's a link.
Great DIY info. Thanks.
Old 04-06-08, 07:05 PM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

Sorry you had a problem, I did not have to sign in, Try this link - it's the same thing.

http://members.***.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf
Old 04-06-08, 10:05 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

you dont have to sign in, just scroll down and you will see the forum posts... sheesh.
Old 04-08-08, 08:07 AM
quatman67
Driver School Candidate

Would you believe I paid 60 bucks for this thing from a Lexus dealership! I like to do my own oil and filter changes and at the time I didn't know of a cheaper alternative. I've been told that Wal-Mart has a similar tool for 15 dollars. Anyway here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Oil change tool-img_0841.jpg  
Old 04-15-08, 10:43 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quatman67
Would you believe I paid 60 bucks for this thing from a Lexus dealership! I like to do my own oil and filter changes and at the time I didn't know of a cheaper alternative. I've been told that Wal-Mart has a similar tool for 15 dollars. Anyway here's the pic.
Curious how much that same Toyota SST would cost if purchased at a Toyota dealer?
Old 07-14-08, 05:15 PM
LexTund
Driver School Candidate

I'm about to do my first oil change. I have the TOY640 tool on order and will start this exercise as soon as I get it. But I have a few questions: What are the torque settings for the small drain plug in the filter housing, the filter housing, and the crankcase drain plug? And, whats the point in having a drain plug in the filter housing? How much oil will drain out of it? It looks like over engineering to me. But what do I know.
Old 07-15-08, 05:22 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I just got one from Auto Palace for $4. It worked OK so I don't think there is a need to get one at Toyota or Lexus. Besides unlike a spin-on filter you don't need to tighten the filterhousing as much. This takes me back to my old Corvette and Jaguar days with the insert filters instead of the spin on types. Seems like we are going backwards here but I guess it has something to do with the green mentality.
Old 07-15-08, 05:14 PM
LexTund
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil Filter Tool

The tool is made by Assenmacher. Google that name and you will find their web site as well as various sellers. The part number is TOY640. I bought mine form Wesco Tools. (Westcotools.com) With shipping, the cost is about $25.
Old 07-16-08, 07:06 AM
jbdvm1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default filter wrench

i initially purchased the wrench from my local toyota dealer for the camry since it has the same engine as the ES350. the wrench fits fine but seemed too flexible and it kept slipping so i went to a napa dealer and they had one that was much more stout than the toyota wrench and it works fine. the biggest problem i have is that i take my ES in for major service intervals ( 15k, 30k...) and when i change my oil in between these times the dealer has typically put the filter housing on so tight i struggle to remove it. i always torque the housing down to the settings listed on the toyota filter box - at this level of tightness it comes off with ease and does not leak
Old 07-16-08, 07:04 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexTund
I'm about to do my first oil change. I have the TOY640 tool on order and will start this exercise as soon as I get it. But I have a few questions: What are the torque settings for the small drain plug in the filter housing, the filter housing, and the crankcase drain plug? And, whats the point in having a drain plug in the filter housing? How much oil will drain out of it? It looks like over engineering to me. But what do I know.
See the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=367420 thread.

The drain plug in the filter housing drains what's in the filter housing. I no longer use it because I find it a pain.
Old 08-21-09, 12:59 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
See the https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=367420 thread.

The drain plug in the filter housing drains what's in the filter housing. I no longer use it because I find it a pain.
I am ready to change oil, but after reading various posts about changing I am confused, does ES350 not have regular filter .... and it uses "Oil Filter Housing" like this link http://members.***.net/n0v8or/avalon_oil_change.pdf , and I need to break open a new filter and use the content.
And I don't understand how the "drain plug in the filter housing" works , does it need draining ? The above although it is not for ES350 but it's only pictures I could find.
Old 08-21-09, 01:04 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I just got one from Auto Palace for $4. It worked OK so I don't think there is a need to get one at Toyota or Lexus. Besides unlike a spin-on filter you don't need to tighten the filterhousing as much. This takes me back to my old Corvette and Jaguar days with the insert filters instead of the spin on types. Seems like we are going backwards here but I guess it has something to do with the green mentality.
+1, great info, can't see paying $60 !!

Quick Reply: Oil change tool