LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

check engine code 41

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-02, 06:37 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question check engine code 41

On my 1994 LS400 I have been getting a check engine light daily since the weather has turned colder in my area this week. It comes on every morning and afternoon after work until the engine fullly warms up. I pulled the code myself and it is a code 41, which according to my Toyota book is the TPS sensor. The car runs fine and never stumbles or misses a beat that I can tell. The light will go out if I accelerate then come back on when I smooth out to whatever speed I an going (doesn't seem to matter if it is at highway speed or in-town). After 5-10 minutes it ceases to come back on. Anyone else ever had this happen and know what the problem was? If so, how much can I expect to be out from the dealer for this throttle position sensor problem? Is this a part that can be obtained from anyone except Lexus dealers? Thanks for any help!
Thomas
Old 10-09-02, 08:33 PM
1994 LS400
Driver

Hello ~
That is so weird I was getting on to post the SAME EXACT issue with my 1994 LS400, I am in Little Rock. Mine comes on when the engine is cold but will go off when warmed a little. This has been happening just since the weather has gotten colder. I was wanting to run a check on the diagnostic but dont know how ( assumed just go to Parker) , but seems like we have the same problem, What do these sensors run ? Also now that it is colder it seems the blue smoke is comming back when I start the car in the morning, what does that mean? Ok thnaks !! Hope someone can Help us .
Paul
Old 10-09-02, 08:45 PM
Lvangundy

Toyota released a new TPS not too long ago. I replaced mine in my 90 LS and wrote a whole topic on it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=TPS
Old 10-09-02, 08:55 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

Haha, that is weird. Maybe something in the Arkansas weather?? ha! To pull the codes, open that little black connector lid in the driver's side front of the engine labeled "DIAGNOSTICS", and locate the terminals labeled E1 and TE1 using the guide printed inside the lid - one is in the center of the frontmost block of terminals, the other is like the rear innermost terminal of that same little block of connectors so that they are diagonal to each other sort of. Take a clean, shiny paperclip and straighten it out to make a large "U" shaped connector, then insert the two ends so that these two terminals are connected - make sure you insert the paperclip into the very center of the terminals as they may be covered in a gray looking grease and its hard to see the actual connectors. Push the clip down about 1/4" to make sure they are connected well. Then, get in the car and turn the ignition to the "ON" position but not started, and watch the check engine light. It will blink out the trouble codes stored. Start the count with the first blinks, then a pause and the 2nd blinks - a 41 is 4 blinks, pause, then 1 blink. If there are ano other codes than just one, all will be read out between subsequent pauses in the same manner. After all stored codes are indicated, the cycle will repeat itself over and over. Turn the ignition back to "Off" and remove the clip after writing down the codes.

Earlier in the year I had a 25 and 26 (both) being displayed with similar check engine behavior as now, and those indicated oxygen sensors which I had replaced for about $500 at Parker. Those were indicated by 2 blinks, pause 5 blinks, pause, 2 blinks, pause, 6 blinks, pause, then repeated cycle. If yours shows multiple codes you can clear the computer to make sure there aren't any old intermittent ones still hanging around, then drive until the light comes back on again to re-store the current ones. To clear the computer (which Parker did not do on mine after they fixed the Oxygen sensors) by opening the fuse-block near the washer fluid reservoir and removing the "Engine" fuse for a few seconds. This will delete all old codes.I'll be curious to know if you also have the TPS code 41 as well.

Thomas
Old 10-09-02, 08:58 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks LV. So looks like I'm looking at around $150 or so. Was this from a Lexus dealership or other garage? Seems like every Lexus dealership visit I've seen is hard-coded to at least $500 no matter what the problem is so that sounds like a good deal.
Old 10-10-02, 07:50 AM
Frankinaustin
Driver

rcltrh -
I have a question for you: where do you look up codes for their meanings? is there a table in my owners manual or some place on the internet? Many thanks!
Old 10-10-02, 06:30 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

There are several places on the internet although I do not have any links in mind offhand- search for Toyota trouble codes and look for year models to fit your years of preference - I think they switched to a different coding in 96 or so, so you need to make sure whatever year you are looking for has the same table of meanings. I also have a 95 Toyota 4 runner and have a simple Haynes manual for it and it lists the Toyota trouble codes in it. They are the exact same codes (and same ecu system) as my 94 Lexus LS400 and it is also where I learned how to pull the codes. If you need a code looked up let me know and I can look for you if you aren't successful in finding a link to one of those reference sites. I will look after while and if I find one of those sites I will add aother post as well.
Thomas
Old 10-10-02, 06:33 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

well, that was easy enough. I used yahoo and searched for "toyota ecu trouble codes" and the first link of many it brought up was this http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/ which lists them all as well as tells you how to get them. Hope this helps!
Thomas
Old 10-10-02, 07:10 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

the code is for your tps time for a new one
Old 10-12-02, 12:21 AM
1994 LS400
Driver

Hello ~
Well I have code 41. However the "Check Engine" indicator does not come on much, only when it is cold. Well the TPS may fail in the near future so I need to know what I want/need to do. I called my Lexus dealer (Parker) and I was quoted $250 and $270 installed for the each TPS. One is a little less to replace. If I could get the part maybe I could do it myself ? I would like to but do not have much know how under the hood. Any suggestions.
Thank You,
Paul
Old 10-12-02, 01:13 PM
rcltrh
Driver School Candidate

I wonder what the difference in price is between the two? I was going to call Parker this week myself but now that you have I won't have to :-) I wrote the part number down from the post above (P/N 894520 - 22090 ) and thought I would call the Toyota dealer here in town (Russellville) before consigning myself back to Parker and see if they could get the part and/or install it depending on price. It actually looks easy to install but you have to adjust it after bolting it on and I am not sure what the correct adjustment is for this particular car.
Old 10-13-02, 02:53 PM
1994 LS400
Driver

Hey ~
Well this morning the car was shaking upon startup, I belive that is due to the failing TPS but no "Check Engine" However when it does the shaking it begins to SMOKE !! it is the Blue-Gray smoke , then it will flush out and become normal, and this is NOT every time, is this all linked to the TPS , the shaking is , and perhaps the smoke ?? ANY Help would Be great !!
Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-14-02, 01:54 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is your mileage?
Sound like two issues: blue smoke & engine shaking. Blue smoke on startup in the morning is a result of oil leaking into the combustion chamber overnight. The most likely culprit is worn valve seals. Engine shaking? Many causes, thus, the challenge is to find the culprit(s). I have seen cars putting out blue smokes in the morning and still idle smoothly. You might want to check the condition of the spark plugs. Excessive oil leaks will foul the plugs causing rough idles at times.

Let's know your findings!
Old 10-14-02, 06:11 PM
1994 LS400
Driver

hey ~
Well the shaking was not that bad at all it was for 1.5 sec once nothing bad. However, the blue smoke is a givin it seems to happen more now, it was bad today . Could this be a result of switching to Mobil 1 oil ? So what am I looking at paying for new valve seals, looks like I am going to have to open the wallet wide open again ohh and I have 107,000 on the car .
Thanks
Paul

Last edited by 1994 LS400; 10-14-02 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-15-02, 02:10 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people are quick to blame oil leakage on switching to synthetic oil, but I have yet to find any convincing evidence to indicate that is the cause. You have three options in regard to worn valve seal.
1) Complete valve job (best): regrind valves & seats, change valve guides (if need), seals, and shims. --Definitely bust your wallet-- :eek:
2) Change only worn valve seals (acceptable): locate & change only the culprits. --A thin wallet will do--
3) Do nothing and live with it (???): top off with oil and change fouled spark plugs often. --Even a poorest of the poor can do--

Goodluck man!

Quick Reply: check engine code 41