LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Issues with 2004+

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-04, 03:44 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues with 2004+

Just curious how many issues you have with your car. I'm unlucky enough to have quite a few. This is my 5th lexus and this one has the most issues:
1. Vibration at high way speed
Replaced 2 bad tires.

2. Rough idle when warming in the morning
They confirmed it happens on others too -> they call it a feature

3. Fuel pump and transmission recall
Replaced the parts

4. The car died on the highway and had it towed to the dealer
When they did #3, they didn't replace the fuel pump correctly.

5. VSC light was on
Replaced 2 bad sensors

6. Noise when AC is on
Replaced compressor

That's quite a list for 5000 miles car
Old 11-25-04, 05:38 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Default Re: Issues with 2004+

Originally posted by pvo
Just curious how many issues you have with your car. I'm unlucky enough to have quite a few. This is my 5th lexus and this one has the most issues:
1. Vibration at high way speed
Replaced 2 bad tires.

2. Rough idle when warming in the morning
They confirmed it happens on others too -> they call it a feature

3. Fuel pump and transmission recall
Replaced the parts

5. VSC light was on
Replaced 2 bad sensors

6. Noise when AC is on
Replaced compressor

That's quite a list for 5000 miles car
Yikes! This sounds like a lot of fun....

I think that these things can happen to anyone, but you were unlucky enough to have them all in such a short period of time. I personally would be upset, but realistically, this should be the end of your troubles for quite some time

The most painful aspect of this is that you pay all this money for such a nice car and all this trouble occurs. Personally, I bought a 2001 LS430 and had numerous problems that I had to deal with. (body damage with superficial rust, steering column replacement, brake vacuum pump replacement) This is in only 4 months. Supposedly my car was CPO and had been carefully inspected!

Because I bought the car in Maryland the local dealership will not pick up the car for warranty work and they treat me with a complete lack of respect. "If you had bought the car off of us, then you wouldn't have had all these problems!"

Bottom line is my car is running great now and I love it. I do feel your frustration though.

Fred
Old 11-25-04, 11:17 AM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04 ls430 also died from the fuel pump problem. They picked it up on a flat bed, Brought it to the Dealer 70 miles & delieverd the car pack to my driveway ( on a flat bed) the next day...
Pain in the rear but they took care of it as prosessionally as possible.
The recall came later & they had to replace it again.
They replaced my transmission, I cannot believe they did the whole job in 5 hours & i see no difference in the car.
My only complaint with the 04 ls is it seems a little rough in the throttle in around town driving....Like when you slow down to about 5mph then accelerate back up to 20mph or so it seems to "stick" somtimes, is the best way i can describe it. Any one else have this problem?????
I had a 01 ls430 for 3 years & it was perfect the day i got it & perfect the day i traded it in..
We have had 5 lexus ( 2 ls 2 rx & 1 gx) & this is the only problems we have ever had....
I would never go back to the American cars i drove before & all the bull that went along with them.....
Old 11-25-04, 11:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah it seems like the first few months prodcution ls430 had quite some problems. also the nav sysytem was all messed up for the first new months production

i hope the 05 are all good
Old 11-25-04, 01:52 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by MikeC4w
My 04 ls430 also died from the fuel pump problem. They picked it up on a flat bed, Brought it to the Dealer 70 miles & delieverd the car pack to my driveway ( on a flat bed) the next day...
Pain in the rear but they took care of it as prosessionally as possible.
The recall came later & they had to replace it again.
They replaced my transmission, I cannot believe they did the whole job in 5 hours & i see no difference in the car.
My only complaint with the 04 ls is it seems a little rough in the throttle in around town driving....Like when you slow down to about 5mph then accelerate back up to 20mph or so it seems to "stick" somtimes, is the best way i can describe it. Any one else have this problem?????
I had a 01 ls430 for 3 years & it was perfect the day i got it & perfect the day i traded it in..
We have had 5 lexus ( 2 ls 2 rx & 1 gx) & this is the only problems we have ever had....
I would never go back to the American cars i drove before & all the bull that went along with them.....
I have the same problem with my transmission at 5Mph get go's.
Old 11-25-04, 05:45 PM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Thank god, ive had no problems with my LS.
Old 11-25-04, 10:19 PM
TonyGarcia
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

I too an having alot of probl***s with my 01 that i got in aug 04 it's been in the shop 7 times since then, from a shake at 60 mph had it in three times for that alone to both folding mirrors not working to a cutting out on full throttle issue now its cutting out again and also shake's at idle now they have replaces the computer twice and i think they are just throwing parts at it now. Hopfully i get it back soon tired of driving the rental they gave me due to no loaners the day i droped it off. i will say thay are treating me well tho and not giving me any slack i know they are banging thier heads on the wall trying to get it right .

Tony Garcia
01 Ls 430 Ultra
Old 11-26-04, 05:42 AM
Diesel11
Driver

Originally posted by TonyGarcia
I too an having alot of probl***s with my 01 that i got in aug 04 it's been in the shop 7 times since then, from a shake at 60 mph had it in three times for that alone to both folding mirrors not working to a cutting out on full throttle issue now its cutting out again and also shake's at idle now they have replaces the computer twice and i think they are just throwing parts at it now. Hopfully i get it back soon tired of driving the rental they gave me due to no loaners the day i droped it off. i will say thay are treating me well tho and not giving me any slack i know they are banging thier heads on the wall trying to get it right .

Tony Garcia
01 Ls 430 Ultra
I'm sorry to hear about your problems Tony. It isn't fun to spend a lot of money on a car that is supposed to be so reliable and have all of these concerns. At least the dealership is dealing with this appropriately, which is what they should do.

Fred
Old 11-27-04, 07:45 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 04 LS 430 and also found the car idles rough when cold. While the dealer acknowleged it, they said that they do not expect Lexus to correct it for existing cars. It is suprising that the engine has been out for a few years and they can't get it to idle smooth. I have had cars costing much less that did not idle like this and it is disappointing to find it on a luxury car at this price.

Someone in another post said that the car is so good you wind up finding very minor problems, and I guess I kind of agree.

I think the tire pressure monitor is almost worthless, especially during the winter in the midwest. It doesn't tell you which tire it thinks is low and I have had a few false alerts. This system does not monitor the tire pressure, but only compares the revolutions between each tire and when a variation over a certain period of time is identified, the alert goes off. My dealer said there has been an upgrade to the software, so I will see if there is any improvement this winter.

Another small item is the outside temperature. If you notice, it usually skips two degrees to a certain number, then skips one, then skips two degrees for a while, then one degree...... While it is not a big deal and doesn't really matter if it is one degree off, I can't figure out why they would make a system like that. It seems that it would be harder to program this than just having it move one degree at a time. The indicator always skips to the same numbers, so it is not a case of it adjusting to the outside tempature.

Overall it is a great car and I think well worth the price. I just drove a MB S500 and to be honest, I would not trade my LS for it as an even trade. I guess when a company advertises the pursuit of perfection, anything less is a disappointment, but if this is as disappointed as we will be, that's not too bad.
Old 11-27-04, 02:56 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Issues with 2004+

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pvo
[B]Just 3. Fuel pump and transmission recall
Replaced the parts

5. VSC light was on
Replaced 2 bad sensors

I have to add that the 2 bad O2 sensors related to the transmission recall. The tech have to removed both O2 sensors from the exhaust in order to drop the exhaust system down and removed the transmission.Sometimes they installed them incorrectly and cause the check engine with VSC light to comes on.
Old 11-27-04, 03:41 PM
pvo
Lead Lap

Default Re: Re: Issues with 2004+

Originally posted by VVT-i
[B]
Originally posted by pvo
Just 3. Fuel pump and transmission recall
Replaced the parts

5. VSC light was on
Replaced 2 bad sensors

I have to add that the 2 bad O2 sensors related to the transmission recall. The tech have to removed both O2 sensors from the exhaust in order to drop the exhaust system down and removed the transmission.Sometimes they installed them incorrectly and cause the check engine with VSC light to comes on.
Thanks for the info VVT-i

Wow, they really screwed up that service #3 then...
Old 11-27-04, 05:14 PM
MikeC4w
Driver School Candidate

i still would not trade this car for ANY car i have ever had,,,,,, Maybe for my 2001 ls430,,, but i doubt it.
IT IS true, when you find somthing this good you start looking for little things.....& you find them...
Old 11-27-04, 06:13 PM
TonyGarcia
Driver School Candidate

one thing i forgot do any of you fellow 430 owners her a ticking noise coming from the engine compartment when at ide?

Tony Garcia
01 LS 430 Ultra
Old 11-27-04, 06:49 PM
asleep
Rookie

So far so good for my 2004. No problems to speak of. It's a mid 2004.**fingers crossed**
Old 11-27-04, 07:03 PM
ALI_Enterp
Driver School Candidate

I dont have any problems with my 04. The rough idleing is most likely due to ultra low emmision ratings, most new lux vehicles have this problem while trying to meet ultra low emmision standards.