SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sound system crashing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-05, 07:43 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound system crashing

This has happened three times to me. Driving on highway twice and suburban street once. It happens with the sound system off. Top left driver speaker - I think - emits a 2-3 second loud static noise that is alarming since the system is off. I press the power **** to start the radio - no sound, no CD sound either. Thought I might have encountered some incredible EMP or something. Shut car off, restarted engine, sound system works like a champ. If I restart too soon, the sound system doesn't begin to work again. This is 3 times in two weeks. Anyone seen anything like this? I'm driving a 2004 SC430 with about 6000 miles. I figure when I take it in, they'll just look at me and say - its working fine now...
Old 05-01-05, 10:36 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this is related to the problem I had with my 01GS but Lexus issued a technical Bulletin a while back citing problem with car that has Mark Levinson system. Took the car in and they added a amp to the system and everything work fine ever since (about 1 1/2 years now). Just bring this to your service consultant and ask him to check out the bulletin if possible. Hope this resolves your problem.
Old 05-02-05, 01:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
I don't know if this is related to the problem I had with my 01GS but Lexus issued a technical Bulletin a while back citing problem with car that has Mark Levinson system. Took the car in and they added a amp to the system and everything work fine ever since (about 1 1/2 years now). Just bring this to your service consultant and ask him to check out the bulletin if possible. Hope this resolves your problem.
i kinda doubt if that's the same problem though. the problem with the 01 ML system (when they first came out) was a defective amp, causing the system to short out or so and crash. but very soon afterwards all ML system amp got changed to the upgraded version and it's been fine. but of course it's worth a try

i am more inclined towards some short along the system. just a little wire short to the gnd on the sub (for example) could cause the system to crash and create some weird sound

the problem of course is it's hard for you to "demo" it to dealership. i would suggest you call them up and tell them the problem so they put it on file, and say if it happens, see if you can drive the car to dealership and show them there, so they know it's true

good luck
Old 05-02-05, 08:42 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Thanks for the advice, guys. Today it happened again driving to work after only 5-10 minutes and again as I got in the car to drive home. Unfortunately, I shut off the engine at home, waited a bit and restarted the engine, but the sound system gave off some static and never came back on line. If its the same in the morning, I'm off for the day and will take it in. Truly, very disappointing, but hopefully easy to fix.
Old 05-02-05, 10:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bjoraker
Thanks for the advice, guys. Today it happened again driving to work after only 5-10 minutes and again as I got in the car to drive home. Unfortunately, I shut off the engine at home, waited a bit and restarted the engine, but the sound system gave off some static and never came back on line. If its the same in the morning, I'm off for the day and will take it in. Truly, very disappointing, but hopefully easy to fix.
well at least if it's consistent then it's easy for you to show the dealership. hope you can get it fixed soon
Old 05-03-05, 10:20 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjoraker
This has happened three times to me. Driving on highway twice and suburban street once. It happens with the sound system off. Top left driver speaker - I think - emits a 2-3 second loud static noise that is alarming since the system is off. I press the power **** to start the radio - no sound, no CD sound either. Thought I might have encountered some incredible EMP or something. Shut car off, restarted engine, sound system works like a champ. If I restart too soon, the sound system doesn't begin to work again. This is 3 times in two weeks. Anyone seen anything like this? I'm driving a 2004 SC430 with about 6000 miles. I figure when I take it in, they'll just look at me and say - its working fine now...
A similar problem occurred in an `02 SC430 that I once owned; quite suddenly, the sound level from the CD or radio would increase exponentially without me doing anything and then decrease in the same fashion. This hasn't occurred in my `04 SC430. At the time, the dealer replaced the amplifier in the `02, and that seemed to fix the problem. I recall that there were a number of Mark Levinson problems in the `02 SC, but that these issued were addressed and rectified in the later models. Definately take this issue to your dealer.
Old 05-03-05, 07:00 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Have an appointment for service Thursday afternoon. Service mentioned it sounded like it could be the amp. BTW, it is still dead.
Old 05-07-05, 08:37 AM
bjoraker
Driver

Just an update...
Took it in, they ordered a new amplifier. Seemed not surprised and pretty familiar with my problem. Will be replaced when it arrives. I miss my sound system!
Old 05-07-05, 01:01 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

How come our sound system cant play burned Cd's
Old 05-09-05, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh ok, so it's the amp problem huh, i stand corrected. guess you have one of the earlier version

burned cds? i have no problem playing burned cdrs. in fact i only plan butned cds on my cars, gs4, is3, and sc430
Old 05-10-05, 07:33 PM
bjoraker
Driver

I also play CDRs in my sound system... Well, I used to, ha ha.
Old 05-10-05, 08:20 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

For some reason my car does not play any kind of burned cd's lol
Old 05-10-05, 10:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by KevsSC
For some reason my car does not play any kind of burned cd's lol
could it be the kind of cdr? i am surprised, for a car that's so new, playing cdr shouldn't be a problem at all. i use tdk but i have used others too
Old 05-11-05, 01:32 AM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Im using Pioneer Cd's
Old 05-11-05, 09:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by KevsSC
Im using Pioneer Cd's
i have never used them. maybe you can just give tdk a try?

Quick Reply: Sound system crashing