GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Oil Change on GS300 RWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-05, 08:06 PM
Blakky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change on GS300 RWD

Has anyone changed their own oil yet on their new GS300 RWD? I was planning on doing it today and I couldn't figure out where to begin removing the panels underneath the car. There seems to be 3-4 different panels underneath. Also does anyone know where the oil filter is located and where it is best accessed from? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-05, 07:11 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Expect to all see a canister type of filter which has to be dissassembled to replace the insert..which is slightly more pain in the *** then a screw on type of filter....
Old 08-23-05, 07:23 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blakky
Has anyone changed their own oil yet on their new GS300 RWD? I was planning on doing it today and I couldn't figure out where to begin removing the panels underneath the car. There seems to be 3-4 different panels underneath. Also does anyone know where the oil filter is located and where it is best accessed from? Any help would be appreciated.
ur facing the front of the car. back right side is the pannel to take off. make sure u get ur filter from lexus comes with a o ring kit and took to remove the oring
Old 12-03-05, 03:33 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Originally Posted by koolaidman
ur facing the front of the car. back right side is the pannel to take off. make sure u get ur filter from lexus comes with a o ring kit and took to remove the oring
So that would be the drivers side (opposite from where the battery is located).. I've got to do this today.. I picked up two filter inserts at my local Lexus dealer and thought they were rather light compared to canister style filters. Anyway, this is my first oil change for my '06 GS300.. Should be amusing.. Good thing I don't need any wiper blades yet -- the dealer doesn't even have them yet..
Old 12-03-05, 10:17 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Ok.. I tried looking for that darned filter and started taking one of the panels off the bottom on the drivers side but it seemed like an awful lot of screws to remove that entire panel (which seemed to be the width of the car).. There's another panel a little to the rear of the front panel that seems to cover front part of the transmission among other things. Anyone care to comment on which one of these panels the filter is hiding under. I've never owned a car that had the bottom so darned buttoned up before.. I'm hoping that I don't have to take half the bottom of the car apart to get access to the filter...

If nothing else I guess for now I could just replace the oil and leave the filter for next time, but I'd rather do the whole job..

Old 12-11-05, 01:38 PM
osx-addict
Driver

So.. I changed my oil without changing the filter.. I believe I've found what I believe is the filter, but I'll have to admit that the paper instructions that came with the Lexus filter element made me believe there was some special tool needed that went into the end of the filter housing.. Anyway, I'm now of the opinion that a regular oil filter wrench is to be used and the entire end-cap of the filter housing gets removed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I snapped a picture of the filter housing or at least I think it is -- comments?
Attached Thumbnails Oil Change on GS300 RWD-dsc_1087.jpg  
Old 12-12-05, 10:14 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blakky
under the car there is a pannel(rectangle) with 10mm bolts. for ur first time take off all of them and ull find what we call a canaster type oil filter. with oil filterwrench u can take it off. remember when u replace it u need to replace the gasket thats in there. i dont know if u can get it aftermarket but its well worth the try
Old 12-13-05, 03:00 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I WONDER if the GS430 has the SAME canister type oil filter? That would be interesting.

ANYONE??
Old 12-13-05, 11:15 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by osx-addict
So.. I changed my oil without changing the filter.. I believe I've found what I believe is the filter, but I'll have to admit that the paper instructions that came with the Lexus filter element made me believe there was some special tool needed that went into the end of the filter housing.. Anyway, I'm now of the opinion that a regular oil filter wrench is to be used and the entire end-cap of the filter housing gets removed. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I snapped a picture of the filter housing or at least I think it is -- comments?
hahahhahha ya said something about a sst. lol
i remember reading about that and i was like wtf.
yes there is a lot of screws to take out i think arround 10. but after u did it the first time u know now u dont need to remove all of them.
Old 12-19-05, 01:08 PM
stevetvu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by osx-addict
Please let me know if you find out the tool to remove the filter housing. I'm in the same boat.
Old 12-19-05, 08:38 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevetvu
Please let me know if you find out the tool to remove the filter housing. I'm in the same boat.
i use a oil filter wrench when im at work ill take a picture of it
Old 12-20-05, 08:29 AM
merlin70
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gserep1
I WONDER if the GS430 has the SAME canister type oil filter? That would be interesting.

ANYONE??
No, it does not. It is a conventional filter near the bottom of the engine on the driver's side.
Old 01-14-06, 04:52 AM
gs9351
Rookie

Unhappy oil change for 06 GS300

This is incredible!

I've changed the oil and filter on my 98 GS pretty much blind-folded; never spilled a drop of oil because of the design of the filter interface; it was angled just right, you could remove it from the top side, filter already upright so residual oil stays inside.

Now I see, you need to remove some large panel (still not sure which one) with lots of screws, and remove a canister and replace gaskets? Is this going to be a dealer oil change $$$ ?

The conventional filter on the 8 cyl GS430 makes sense, that engine is the same one carried over from earlier models....right?

BTW, the picture posed earlier of the canister, that is the right part, correct?

Any help on this greatly appreciated...thanks!

Last edited by gs9351; 01-14-06 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-14-06, 11:11 AM
osx-addict
Driver

gs9351 --

I'll be changing my oil again in a few weeks and will be planning on removing the underpanel as before and trying my hand at removing (unscewing) the end of the filter canister using a standard oil filter wrench (the type that fits on the end).. The thing that got my really screwed up initially was the instructions that came with the filter which seem totally wrong for the GS300 at least.. Perhaps they're OK for other Toyota/Lexus vehicles, but not for the GS in my opinion..

As for the picture, it is in fact the filter canister -- the backside in particular.. I'll see about taking some more pictures when I do my next oil change and you can get a better idea of how this thing goes together....
Old 01-14-06, 12:49 PM
gs9351
Rookie

Exclamation oil change info

addict -

OK thanks, pictures would be of great help!

BTW, how do you guys get under the car? I'll assume you using a jack of some sort.

(Not the trunk jack) Where is a good hard point to use a floor jack? Maybe you could post another picture of the floor jack in place for us inexperienced new owners. Thanks again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2006 GS300 Flint Mica / rear spoiler / Ash Leather/ Black Birds Eye Maple
Navigation + ML + run-flats

Last edited by gs9351; 01-14-06 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil Change on GS300 RWD