IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-05, 01:35 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

Thanks to Muzzman1 and Lexus_x_2 for the info to bypass the Nav system. I just have it done this morning and it's working great. Now i can Dial the phone number, change MP3 folder and access to a lot of functions on the Navigation when the car is moving. I didn't have ML so no DVD player in my car, shoulda had it. But if you have the ML this hack will enable the DVD screen to play when your car is moving.

Here's the DYI step by step:

Duration: 30 minutes
1.)Remove the sliver pieces to the right and left of the wood trim on either side ot the shifter....they are simply held in with clips, they come out up/back diagonally

2.) Re move the shift **** by turning it counterclockwise.

3.)Remove the shifter plate assembly by opening the ashtray door and pull up with your fingers (i slid the armrest back) it is also held in with simple clips.

4.)Remove ashtray assy (two phillips screws)

5.)If you look in the top of the air vents you will see four 1/4" holes in the two vents. If you gently insert a flat head scewdriver at about a 45 degree angle up into the holes and gently pry down you will see that a plastic clip will come down with the driver and clip into a down position....do this to all four...then with a "plastic" pry tool, pry the vents out ...the dash is very forgiving....it will not dent...(at least mine did not) and pull the vents out again they are held in with astandard clips....This was the hard part

6.)Remove the Nav unit . There are 4 10mm bols holding in the complete NAV assy....remove them and you are set

7.)Cut the PINK wire located on connector J50 and the WHITE (with silver paint) wire on connector P1.
After cutting the Pink and White wires, you put a cap on the wires comming from the Navigation unit. You then connect the Pink (wireloom side) and White (wireloom side) wires together.

*** Note if you have ML and want it to play DVD when moving. You will need to GROUND the parking break wire also. It's the RED wire on the J50 connector.
Have a Happy New Year everyone

MOD NOTE: This hack will NOT enable destination entry while moving. If you wish to have destination entry while moving, you will also need to do a hybrid 5.1 Override DVD, or use a switch as shown in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...witch-diy.html

Last edited by Technique; 09-14-09 at 10:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
myw (05-02-20)
Old 12-30-05, 01:40 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Looks good, thanks for the nice pics and the easy step by step.

Hopefully I will get around to doing this someday.
Old 12-30-05, 01:48 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, that's a lot of work. i'm pretty sure this will avoid the warranty
Old 12-30-05, 03:55 PM
muzzman1
Driver

Originally Posted by shaolin
damn, that's a lot of work. i'm pretty sure this will avoid the warranty

Great post! I did not have the patients to take pics, I was too excited to make it work.....Just so everyone knows it is a very easy mod....it might look intimidating, but its cake!
Old 12-30-05, 04:10 PM
emissivity

Thanks for sharing...Maybe the forum moderators should create a special forum section for "Navigation Hacks, mods, or service codes"
The following users liked this post:
MacGregorg (02-23-20)
Old 12-30-05, 04:57 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Thanks, whoever does the last step can you please take and post pics if you can?

*** Note if you have ML and want it to play DVD when moving. You will need to GROUND the parking break wire also. It's the RED wire on the J50 connector.

Last edited by kensteele; 12-30-05 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-30-05, 05:24 PM
tim817
Intermediate

I just edit the last step...
*** Note if you have ML and want it to play DVD when moving. You will need to GROUND the parking break wire also. It's the RED wire on the J50 connector
Old 12-30-05, 05:47 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful! Thank you so much!
Old 12-30-05, 06:06 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tim817
I just edit the last step...
*** Note if you have ML and want it to play DVD when moving. You will need to GROUND the parking break wire also. It's the RED wire on the J50 connector
this is a stupid question--how do you ground the e-brake (red) wire? Is there any step that's particularly risky for damaging the interior trim?
Old 12-30-05, 06:58 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

man, you've got to have some ***** to do that mod.
Old 12-30-05, 07:07 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Cat's out of the bag! :)

I can't believe it's as simple as cutting wires. I too wish I'd had gotten the ML!
Can't wait to see pics of the final product!! (DVD in motion).
Thanks for the great info.
Old 12-30-05, 07:38 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Nice post

Subscribing
Old 12-30-05, 07:46 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Man........That takes some serious cajones to start hackin into wires llike that..........I assume it will work on the non ML units, right? Just want to be 100% positive before I hack into it....
Old 12-30-05, 08:52 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unit74
Man........That takes some serious cajones to start hackin into wires llike that..........I assume it will work on the non ML units, right? Just want to be 100% positive before I hack into it....
I don't have ML, just Nav and it's been working great. There are a number of member in here that did the same mod and no one have problems so far...
Old 12-30-05, 09:05 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Who here has done the mod on their ML and is now able to watch movies while driving? Because I have the same question about "grounding" that wire.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving