Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2007 Toyota Camry official press at NAIAS

Old 01-09-06, 09:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts
Default 2007 Toyota Camry official press at NAIAS

SE

XLE

Hybrid

UPDATE: more info.

Press release:
http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2006010675087

Since press release is huge, here are few selected points:

Better mpg
The standard four-cylinder CE model has EPA-estimated city/highway fuel economy ratings of 24/34. Camrys equipped with V6 engines have EPA-estimated fuel economy ratings of 22 mpg city/31 mpg highway, while the Camry hybrid has fuel economy ratings of 43 mpg city/37 mpg highway.
Bigger wheelbase
they increased wheelbase (109.3 in., up from 107.1 in.) but maintained the same overall length, with a shortened rear overhang. Even with this lengthened wheelbase, engineers delivered a reduced turning radius.
Bigger wheels
Gone are the 15-inch wheels previously standard on the LE. For 2007, the CE, LE, XLE and Camry Hybrid will ride on 16-inch wheels of either steel or aluminum, while the sporty SE gets unique aluminum 17-inch wheels with six spokes. These are optimized to help ensure brake-heat dissipation.
Bigger brakes
Up front, ventilated 11.65-inch discs are used, with solid 11.06-inch discs at the rear. A new brake pad is adopted that provides 10 percent higher coefficient of friction for increased stopping power over the previous model.
Gone the torsion beam is! :-)
Front suspension is via MacPherson struts. At the rear, a dual-link strut system helps provide an optimal balance between smooth ride and secure handling.
SE is different
The SE has a standard full body kit that positions the car 0.4-inches (10mm) lower than other Camry grades. In addition, a V-shaped brace is added to the SE's body between trunk and cabin and stabilizing braces were added to the underbody to increase the body's torsional rigidity. Finally, to make the SE more appealing to buyers seeking a more dynamic driving experience, the SE delivers performance enhanced by underbody aerodynamics borrowed from Toyota's experience in Formula One.
XLE is loaded
The XLE's list of standard features includes an upgraded dual-zone automatic climate controlled system with steering-wheel controls, a premium 440-watt JBL audio system with Bluetooth™ technology for hands-free calling, wood-style trim, moonroof, rear reclining seats, fog lamps and 16-inch aluminum wheels. Four-cylinder models are equipped with standard special seat fabric designed to be gentle on the skin, while V6 models feature standard leather-trimmed seats.
Option list is nice
Options available on select Camry grades include a tilt/slide moonroof, heated seats, voice-command DVD navigation system, leather-trimmed seating, rear spoiler, Vehicle Stability Control and a Smart Entry and Smart Start system with push-button start that allows drivers to lock, unlock, or start the car just by carrying the Smart Key on his/her person.
Bigger interior
Footwell space for the rear seat was enlarged, and additional rear seat legroom was provided. Available rear legroom now measures 38.3 inches, up from 37.8 inches in the previous generation Camry.
Better Fabrics
So complete was the rethink of the Camry's interior that even the seat fabric was redesigned. Used exclusively on the top-of-the-line XLE four-cylinder model, the new standard fabric is treated by the Fraichir process. In this process, fabric is coated with a naturally occurring component called Sericin, which is extracted from silkworm cocoons and refined. This substance is used because it contains a natural moisturizing component.
Speedo
The speedometer is marked in five-mph increments, a step that is important to American buyers because speed limits of 55, 65 and 75 mph are very common.
More Storage
Designers built in many storage spaces around the front-passenger area, including console side-pockets, marking the first use of this storage option in a sedan.
Better HVAC
A new HVAC system, standard on the XLE and Hybrid, incorporates automatic climate-control with separate left and right zones. This new system uses Plasmacluster ionizer technology to help reduce airborne mold spores, microbes, fungi, odors, germs and bacteria inside the passenger cabin. The plasmacluster ionizer does this by artificially creating positive and negative ions that seek out and surround harmful airborne substances.
40% better acceleration with V6
For those looking for more power, the new 2GR-FE engine – a 24-valve, DOHC 3.5L V6 - is available in the LE, SE and XLE. This engine is designed to deliver up to 40 percent better acceleration over the 2006 model year Camry 3.3-liter V6. The V6 is based on bore/stroke measurements of 3.70 x 3.27 inches (94.0 x 83.0 mm) for a displacement of 210.9 ci, or 3,459cc, and uses a compression ratio of 10.8:1 to generate 268 SAE horsepower.
Smooth 6 speed Auto
Harnessing this engine's output is an all-new six-speed automatic transmission that uses 21 percent fewer parts than the conventional five-speed automatic transmission it replaces. This new transmission, which can be shifted sequentially, relies upon a newly developed gear train that uses a Ravigneaux-type compound planetary gear for reduced size, weight and friction.
Sweet Hybrid:
The first half of this system consists of the 2.4L four-cylinder 2AZ-FXE Atkinson-cycle engine, which generates 147 hp and is coupled to a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The second half of the Hybrid Synergy Drive equation consists of a small, specially developed electric drive motor that produces 45 horsepower, an ultra-small inverter with a specially designed compact battery and a transaxle to provide the economy and seamless performance hybrid drivers seek.
Darn good Cd
Finally, special attention was paid to the vehicle underbody with the use of wheel spats and underbelly pans resulting in a low coefficient of aerodynamic drag (Cd) of 0.27, which helps increase fuel economy.

Last edited by spwolf; 01-09-06 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-09-06, 10:04 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isnt the live webcast supposed to be on toyota.com?
Old 01-09-06, 10:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS3rdwow
isnt the live webcast supposed to be on toyota.com?
not that I can see...
Old 01-09-06, 10:17 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

crap..they will show the webcast AFTER the press conference reveal.
Old 01-09-06, 10:53 AM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

The reveal video is on the toyota.com website!
Old 01-09-06, 11:32 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

OMG......what did they do?????? I have an 03' and I have to say that looks hideous
Old 01-09-06, 11:38 AM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh, that just hurts my feelings... anyone know a good nose doctor?
Old 01-09-06, 11:40 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Press release:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2006010675087

I4: 158 hp, 24/34
V6: 268 hp, 22/31
Hybrid: 192 hp, 43/37
Old 01-09-06, 11:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Leets
oh, that just hurts my feelings... anyone know a good nose doctor?
Yeah, that's probably the worst part of the design :
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Toyota Camry official press at NAIAS-toyota_camry_04_900.jpg  
Old 01-09-06, 11:59 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

I like the fact that the bread and butter LE has a power driver seat. That makes things much easier for multiple drivers.

I hate that the CD changer is only 4 disc with the Nav. What up with that? It has alll that new technology, blahblahblah, but they couldn't figure out how to fit a 6 cd changer with the Nav?

Exterior wise, it's okay. Better than the Accord, but I prefer Sonata and Fusion styling.

Interior wise, it's a close second to the Accord. In the XLE, they should have made the wood cover the center console compartment door like they did with the Japanese version. It looks a bit too cold in there with all that fake aluminum in the center and the steering wheel. The shifter area is definitely better than the Accord though.

Hm... no HID option (Altima has those). I was hoping that the XLE would carry them.

Last edited by jrock65; 01-09-06 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-09-06, 01:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrock65
I like the fact that the bread and butter LE has a power driver seat. That makes things much easier for multiple drivers.

I hate that the CD changer is only 4 disc with the Nav. What up with that? It has alll that new technology, blahblahblah, but they couldn't figure out how to fit a 6 cd changer with the Nav?

Exterior wise, it's okay. Better than the Accord, but I prefer Sonata and Fusion styling.

Interior wise, it's a close second to the Accord. In the XLE, they should have made the wood cover the center console compartment door like they did with the Japanese version. It looks a bit too cold in there with all that fake aluminum in the center and the steering wheel. The shifter area is definitely better than the Accord though.

Hm... no HID option (Altima has those). I was hoping that the XLE would carry them.
All cd players support MP3's though, so 4 cd's is not that of a problem. Plus, before they used separate cd changer in Toyotas, not in-dash, so it is an improvement.

It is not an Avalon though, so no xenons or too much wood.
Old 01-09-06, 01:30 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
All cd players support MP3's though, so 4 cd's is not that of a problem. Plus, before they used separate cd changer in Toyotas, not in-dash, so it is an improvement.

It is not an Avalon though, so no xenons or too much wood.
The Accord has a 6 CD changer with nav, I don't know why the Camry can't.

Most people in this conservative segment are not listening to MP3 cds. They actually (gasp!) buy their CDs and listen to them in their original form.

Anyway, not a huge deal, but a gripe nonetheless. I don't like to have to "downgrade" something to get nav.
Old 01-09-06, 01:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

What I like the most the new camry is attention to detail - it seems like every single thing has been thought of, and this was not common for an Japanese car just few years ago.

And every part of the car has been improved on. Simply put, everything is significantly better than before. And I bet, pricing will not go up for more than 200$.
Old 01-09-06, 01:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

A lot more pics:
http://www.thecarlounge.net/gallery/...amry&start=24#

I think SE looks pretty good.
Old 01-09-06, 02:53 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Overall I actually like it. This is one of the first times I'd choose the Carmy over an Accord. I do like the Accord iterior better though. I also dont like the front grill and the rear end, but nearly everything coming out lately the rear end is the weakest part of the car so this isn't really a deal breaker or anything new for me. The one thing I like the best about the stock radio is that it looks like I can take that out and put in an aftermarket unit rather easily.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Toyota Camry official press at NAIAS