Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So you want to go FI?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-06, 03:47 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Dave hasnt chimed in ...Im interested to know what he has to say
Old 03-18-06, 12:18 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
THe round number I had in minde was 10K
4500-5K for the RMM kit 1K for the install
Torque converter and install 1K
SAFC, SAFC INSTALL AND DYNO TUNING 1K
INJECTORS IF YOU DONT GET THEM WITH THE KIT 500-700
Wideband, boost gage and install 500

optional
LSD
BBK
VAlve body
more gages
Electronic boost controller
Fuel pump

The folks that did my Turbo charge abouyt the same thing for a custom turbo kit for the GS, the turbo is a better value in my opinion because if you want to turn up the hp later on you can. Wtiht the SC you are definitely limited. I am running 17psi today, there is no way I could have done that iwth the RMM SC.

When I first started I never imagined I would want that much hp but its true once you get a taste you wind up wanting more.

My car was my daily driver also, but iwth the down time I had from other problems I bought a 91 Civic hatchback for 1200, it gets 30mpg on 89 octane my lexus gets what 8mpg on 93 octane? So the civic wound up saving me money... as long as I drive it that is.
I am very lucky that my buddy wanted to install my turbo kit. So labor was free. He would have charged about 2200 for the install.

One thing I didn't see on this list was a fuel management system. You went the rout or SAFC, I ended up getting a standalone unit, the Autronic SM4 which cost upwards of 3k (just the unit) +installation.
So these 2 things alone pushed me into the teen k range for FI.
Unfortunately the bug has got me good and it doesn't look the bankbook is done yet.
"How can I run out of money........................I still have checks left in my checkbook! "
Old 03-18-06, 11:35 AM
jp430
Driver

Do you have a custom exhaust? If so, how much do you pay?
Old 03-18-06, 11:56 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

I believe Suprrunner is still under $2000 dollars and his is installed and was running till he blew the HG. He may chime in and let us know whats going on. He did his own install, so that was free. Its expensive, but I believe FI is possible for 5K...at least on the GS3, I have no experince what-so-ever with the GS400 or 430. The most expensive parts about going turbo(besides the labor cost) is the turbo and manifold, the rest is Ebay-able and you can find for pretty cheap sometimes. You can find turbos on Ebay, but I would only buy them if they were brand name, and if they are, then they are most likely more expensive then some other places. I plan on turboing my 96 GS300 pretty soon, and so far, parts cost is only at 2500. If only I could find someone who can do the labor for free .
Old 03-18-06, 01:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Another Example,

I was going the EL Cheapo FI non stress route. Gonna just run Nitrous. My thoughts, Cheap, only used every now and then, can use only when want, thus less engine stress. Simple do it yourself mod, etc, ect. All I need is a Used Zex kit $ 360.

Ok used Zex dry kit $360, Bottle Heater, $120, other custom parts, lines, wiring and Acc $ 300, parts orderd shipping $ 150, then realized I wanted to run a bigger shot, Walbro fuel pump $ 140, AFPR, $ 80, Unichip $500, Custom Exhaust mods and Parts $800, Headers $ 600, Blew up the intake, new parts and labor, Ported and matched upper and lower intake, Parts and labor, $500.

Ok just about got it all back together, . Time to redyno and retune. Can you say Mo Money, Mo Money $$$ !

Good thing was with all the work, I was able to change every single fluid in the car myself. Also learned how to do Brakes myself. Did a new Timming belt, pulleys, and water pump, plugs, wires, myself. Lexus would have charged me $2000 +.

Next Goal is retune, deleting the MAF completely, Running a 200 shot progressive only 200 from 5200 rpm to red line. I don't even want to add $ it all up. Morris is 100 % right. And this is only Stage one your first time. When will it ever stop. Ever talk to someone who has a built car, 1st thing they will say is" yeah but I'm getting ready to do X, Y Z". You Gotta Pay To Play !
Old 03-18-06, 02:02 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

IT stops when you run out of money

Ding ding ding.... we have a winner.
Old 03-18-06, 02:26 PM
Ira Senoff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boys boys boys - been there, done that - in 1989, had a 89 Supra Turbo (until it was stolen in 1994). I am a former HKS dealer - car was set up for hi speed driving (which I did quite often) full HKS Tems, eibach springs, upgraded sway bars, front and rear strut tower bar, sub frame connectors, (eventually caged), upgraded bushings, 4 core racing intercooler, extrude hone intake, head and exhaust manifold, monster turbo, 3" off road exhaust, EVC, F-Con, GCC, AIC, Scramble boost, huge injectors with secondary fuel rail, big pump w/ swirl pot tank, NOS, custom 3:55 gears with built and re-geared trans, lightened fly wheel, dual friction clutch, short throw shifter, motor built - custom parts & balanced and blue printed, custom 17" wheels and tires, big brake kit, ss lines, $30,000.00 stereo set up for IASCA competitions, blah blah blah. What did it amount to - 11.2 @ 124 on street tires w/ a top speed in excess of 175, almost 1.0 on a skid pad, bank account reduction of at least $60,000.00, countless speeding tickets and stories to match. I gave up modifying cars to attend law school and am now an attorney. I drive my GS 400 (stock except for brakes and big a$$ stereo) and love it. But would I do it again? HELL YES; you can't take it with you. Live a little - build a strong motor and go kick some a$$. Now if only someone could convince my wife that I need FI in the GS.................... I am in process of doing rims, tires, tte lip, & suspension work and that conversation is uncomfortable enough.

Mo Smith is right - its just not the motor work - I had as much money in the other parts (not including the stereo) as I did in the motor....
Old 03-18-06, 02:56 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,257 Likes on 998 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
IT stops when you run out of money

Ding ding ding.... we have a winner.
LOL ! Think they call it OCD.
Old 03-19-06, 09:57 AM
Supraownzu
Driver

i would have to say that building a FI GS300 really wouldnt be that expensive if you just flat out didnt care about long term reliability. to me, boosting a high mileage motor is about the most unreliable thing you can do. so in going that route, you had better be ready to get the motor/trans rebuilt. Fortunately, if you have the money, it is generally alot cheaper to just get it all freshened up at time of the initial build, than it is to tear it all back apart to swap a motor or trans when it grenades. I am about 10K into my GS as we speak (might i add i get everything at cost and have no labor on any of it) and have built everything to be as reliable and efficient as possible. Fortunately for me, here in nebraska there isnt any emmisions checks, or anything of that sort. After building my supra, ive learned alot about where to cut corners, and where you cant. Alot of money can be saved just in researching on your own and getting as much advice from experts as you can.
Old 03-19-06, 10:10 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Let the truth be told Morris......FI = mucho $

Its a never ending hole. It just seems that people who have never had FI (me) thought so much would be enough than you start to want a little more. Than you make plans in stages. Than you say the hell with the stages and skip one along the way. The great aprt I think about doing a gte plant is that the options are endless and once you spend the big bucks to get the plant in small stuff can really make great changes. Only thing I have found along the way is that the small stuff can add up God it can add up Than again chroming every part before we install it doesn't help
Old 03-20-06, 09:28 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Abear
I believe Suprrunner is still under $2000 dollars and his is installed and was running till he blew the HG. He may chime in and let us know whats going on. He did his own install, so that was free. Its expensive, but I believe FI is possible for 5K...at least on the GS3, I have no experince what-so-ever with the GS400 or 430. The most expensive parts about going turbo(besides the labor cost) is the turbo and manifold, the rest is Ebay-able and you can find for pretty cheap sometimes. You can find turbos on Ebay, but I would only buy them if they were brand name, and if they are, then they are most likely more expensive then some other places. I plan on turboing my 96 GS300 pretty soon, and so far, parts cost is only at 2500. If only I could find someone who can do the labor for free .

The GS4 is a totally different beast. You can't find a turbo manifold on E-bay. If you did, buy the lot then resell em because these are very very rare if the even exist. From my understanding you don't have to pull the motor on a GS3 to install the turbo kit. The GS4, at least in my case, the motor needed to be pulled and the piping installed then reinstalled into the car.
Here is a link to my initial thread when I had the turbo installed
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167811
Old 03-21-06, 07:35 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Yup Hi98 hit the nail on the head, there is pretty much zero aftermarket support for the GS400 everything is custom and one off. Shoot we only got rods and pistons in the last year and even those are still custom, its just that they have been made in decent batches.

The computer is another issue all together zero hacks or cracks
Old 03-21-06, 10:21 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I was close to going FI on the GS4... but came to the realization that as unique it would be to own it just didn't make sense with my other $$$ priorities.

I enjoy modding my cars, always have and always will but the GS4 as a starting point to any stage FI is an undertaking that would require more skill and knowledge to do myself or with a little help.

Personally I plan on eventually either getting a classic car to mod in high HP or an inexpensive small turbo car to have fun with... with lots and lots of upgrades on mods sitting on the shelves....

I will say this, this board is the place to be if Turbocharging, Supercharging, or Nitro'ing a stubborn GS4 is your thing.

Old 03-21-06, 10:23 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CinFulxGS4
I was close to going FI on the GS4... but came to the realization that as unique it would be to own it just didn't make sense with my other $$$ priorities.

I enjoy modding my cars, always have and always will but the GS4 as a starting point to any stage FI is an undertaking that would require more skill and knowledge to do myself or with a little help.

Personally I plan on eventually either getting a classic car to mod in high HP or an inexpensive small turbo car to have fun with... with lots and lots of upgrades on mods sitting on the shelves....

I will say this, this board is the place to be if Turbocharging, Supercharging, or Nitro'ing a stubborn GS4 is your thing.

You are a smart man - I wish I had come to the same realization!! But then again I have barely gotten to drive my car since. Hopefully this weekend she will be back on the road for some playtime

Jonny
Old 03-21-06, 11:33 AM
CinFulxgs
Pole Position

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't worry, I am 35 and spent a better part of my lifetime blowing money on lesser pursuits.

Quick Reply: So you want to go FI?