Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jeremy Clarkson on the IS250

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-06, 05:47 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeremy Clarkson on the IS250

Lexus IS 250
By Jeremy Clarkson of The Sunday Times
What a perfect way to make the girls go 'Eugh'

Quite often, pink magazines full of advertisements for garden furniture and Jilly Cooper curtains call my wife to see if she’d like to become their motoring correspondent. “We’d like you to write about cars from a female point of view,” they always say.

Right. I see. And what exactly is a woman’s point of view when it comes to cars. The colour? Whether you break your nails on the door handles? How much space there is in the boot for babies? Puh-lease. My wife’s argument on this point is sound. Women who are interested in cars are excited by exactly the same things that excite men. Power. Looks. Handling. And women who aren’t interested in cars won’t read about them, no matter what shaped genitals the author has.

So she sends off 1,000 words about a Caterham Cosworth, saying that it ripped her eyeballs out, set her hair on fire and left her with the same sort of ruddy glow she gets from a really good Terminator movie. This, as a general rule, is placed fairly quickly on the editor’s spike.

If we look back over the years, my wife, a mother of three, has run a Caterham that she misses dearly, a Lotus Elise 111S that she sent back for sports exhausts because it wasn’t loud enough, a BMW Z1 and a motorbike of some kind. Currently she appears to have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Ask her about space in the back for kids or whether these things have convenient handles on which she can hang a handbag and she’ll shove a hot conrod up your jacksie. She’s not bothered. And it’s an especially good idea to steer clear of fuel consumption, because if you bring this up she’ll siphon a gallon from the tank and use it to burn you alive.

This is why I always give sexism a wide berth when writing about cars. Any suggestion that one model is better suited to men, or women, and I have to spend the rest of the day disentangling myself from the ironing board. Or begging to be let out of the Aga.

This is no great hardship because of all the “ists” you can call me, “sex-ist” isn’t one of them. I don’t run for the exits when a pilot comes on the PA system to say her name’s Sandra, and when a lady doctor is examining my arthritic hips I’ve never once been tempted to say, “Oh, and while you’re down there . . .”

However, I am bringing some stereotypes to the table this morning because I have a question about the Lexus IS 250 SE. Have you ever seen one being driven by a woman? In fact have you ever seen any Lexus being driven by a woman? Apart from that girl in Terminator 3 who nicked a 430 convertible — and she was technically a robot — I haven’t. I’ve seen girls in Evo 8s and Ferraris and Astons. Once I even saw a girl in a Lamborghini LM002, which caused a faint but distinct stirring. But never in a Lexulator.

I’m sure that Toyota’s marketing department will be reaching for the e-mail button right now to send me figures that show x per cent of Lexees are bought by women, but I bet that if these “female” customers were examined more carefully, every single one would have an Adam’s apple.

It’s hard at first to see what makes the Lexus brand as uniquely male as a Leatherman or a hunter-killer submarine. The IS a pretty car and we know from every single survey ever undertaken that no other vehicle on the planet is quite so well made.

Of course there are some things wrong with it. Space in the back is limited, the seats aren’t overly supportive, the steering is way too sharp and the door mirrors are the size of barn doors. But since when did a woman ever complain about a mirror being too large? Perhaps, then, it’s the rev counter that glows orange as you approach the red line. “Noooooo” wailed my wife after she came back from the school run. “I loved that. I made it orange the whole way home.”

What then? What feature does this car have that makes it so unappealing for women? My wife couldn’t help. “I just don’t like it,” she said.

I did. Oh sure, it’s not the fastest car in the world. In fact it has about as much power as my second serve. But this is not such a bad thing because of that super-sharp steering.

If by some miracle you’re going too fast when you turn the wheel, you had better be awake, because everything can get awfully skittish, awfully quickly.

Also, the touch screen sat nav system was preposterously complicated. But you can solve this, if you’re a woman, by reading the instruction book.

Me? I was too busy revelling in the quietness of the engine, the complete absence of wind roar, even around the six-acre door mirrors, and the well-chosen ride.

It’s never too harsh that it shatters your bones on every speed bump and it’s never so soft that it flops into the hedgerow on every bend. I also loved the sense that every button and every switch will outlive the sun.

Then there’s the stereo, which has (a lot) more power than the engine, and the price. Take into account the list of standard goodies and this car costs not hundreds but thousands of pounds less than a BMW 3-series. It’s better looking than a 3-series too. In fact it’s better looking than a Mercedes C-class, an Audi A4 and a Jaguar X-type. Obviously, in this sector of the market, I’d take the Alfa Romeo 159 because that has a soul that the Lexus is missing. But if you don’t want to be plagued with breakdowns, the IS 250 does appear to be a good bet.

And that brings me back to the original question. Why do you never see one being driven by a woman? To find an answer we need to get logical. Nobody who’s interested in cars, whether they’re a man or a woman, will buy a Lexus. They’re just not zingy enough.

So they are only for people who are not interested in cars, people who simply want four reliable wheels and a seat. And this is where things split. Men are happy to go down the Lexus route whereas women are not.

To see if I could find out why, I did something unusual. I picked up the phone and rang a few girls who don’t know one end of a dipstick from their left cheque book. And all, curiously, said pretty much the same thing. “A Lexus? Eugh.” “They’re perfectly revolting.” “They’re for people who play golf.” And best of all: “They’re all driven by the sort of person I wouldn’t want to know.”

There’s an inescapable conclusion here. Buy a Lexus and you are demonstrating two things. First that you are a man, and second that you are not interested in a car’s power or handling. This, it seems, is not something women find attractive.

Think about this, before you say no to that Alfa.
full link to article HERE
Old 04-30-06, 06:08 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting perspective, and strangely true. From my observation, the ES300/330's are usually the "women" cars, and I also see a lot of RX300/330's driven by women, but not all of course. That doesn't make them "chick cars", but it's just my observations. I drive an ES300 every day, and I'm not the least bit ashamed of it.

There are quite a few cars out there that the general male population doesn't drive, however. I haven't seen any males driving a Beetle, or a Cabrio, older model Eclipse Convertibles, to name a few.
Old 04-30-06, 06:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They dont get IS350. haha
Old 04-30-06, 06:17 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So you're saying Lexus owners aren't car enthusiasts.
Clarkson meet ClubLexus.
Old 04-30-06, 06:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
So you're saying Lexus owners aren't car enthusiasts.
Clarkson meet ClubLexus.
Clarkson is pretty interesting bloke, if nothing, his articles are always entertaining. He also said GS imitates MB, and there is no reason to buy superb GS when you can buy an original.
Old 04-30-06, 06:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Heh, but then I see a lot of chicks drive Beetles and RX8... Nuff said.
Old 04-30-06, 06:44 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I think he just likes to wittily **** talk lexus. I think his veiws on lexus are about as unbaised as CL's veiws in acura.
Old 04-30-06, 06:47 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I realize that our perspective over here is a bit different, and that said, my wife's best friend drives an IS250 AWD. However she hates the twitchy steering. So he is half right
Old 04-30-06, 07:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
, my wife's best friend drives an IS250 AWD. However she hates the twitchy steering. So he is half right
Part of that, Doug, is the low-profile 45-series tires. Lexus, on the new second-generation model, dropped the higher-profile and slightly less responsive 55-series all-season tire option they had on the 2001-2005 model.....an action I criticized and one of the main reasons I did not get a new IS myself, despite the AWD I had been waiting for.
Old 04-30-06, 07:12 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of that, Doug, is the low-profile 45-series tires. Lexus, on the new second-generation model, dropped the higher-profile and slightly less responsive 55-series all-season tire option they had on the 2001-2005 model.....an action I criticized and one of the main reasons I did not get a new IS myself, despite the AWD I had been waiting for.
Very interesting. I know they put two different brands on the car (Dunlop and Bridgestone I believe). She actually had the dealer switch them just to make sure that was not the issue. Unfortunately she went from the Dunlops to the Bridgestones which I hear are not as good.
Old 04-30-06, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by genearch
Ouch... love him or hate him... he always polarizes the audience
Though in general he reminds me of a yapping hound dog, and at times I wish somebody would stick a sock in his mouth, some of what he says is true. The former-generation IS300 was one of the finest-crafted and most durable cars on the road, and time will tell if the new one can equal that record.
Old 04-30-06, 07:41 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some of what Jeremy Clarkson says may be true, but in the articles over the past year and now, on a number of subjects, I think he's just gone off the deep end. In the interests of making an interesting article, he seems to go beyond the controversial and into the offensive. This article smacks of that kind.
Old 04-30-06, 10:12 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought he just said he liked the IS250 and it was the best looking in its class? This doesn't really sound like a bad rewiew too me
Old 04-30-06, 10:52 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I don't think he is totally off base, just abrasive.

The IS DOES NOT drive like a BMW and does not have the power of the ///M, AMG, or other hot topic cars near the IS class. The WOW factor has never been a part of Lexus builds. I hope they change it soon in at least one model, because BMW will be in my driveway soon this summer to give me what I am missing in my THREE Lexus, so we'll just have to scoot them over and make a spot for it

As great as the Lexus is, it leaves me wanting a toy on the side.
Old 04-30-06, 11:12 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Clarkson is the man. I love his reviews.

Then again, he has driven more sports oriented car than most of us will touch in our lifetime. I'm sure going from say a Ford GT to an is250 wil make the is250 seem worse than it is.

What he says is true. Lexus does not have the WOW factor like BMW or mercedes. Nor does lexus have the balance and handling of the germans. Lexus lacks soul and character, something a lot of car enthusiasts go after.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson on the IS250