RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Aux In for RX300

Old 05-09-06, 08:02 AM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aux In for RX300

I successfully completed the Aux In mod for my 99 RX 300 using the Aux In for the IS300 instructions.

There are a few things about this you need to know before doing it.
You need to be in CD mode. If you have a disc in the magazine, it will continue playing the CD.. you just won't here it. If you put in a blank magazine, you'll see ERR2 on the screen and the CD motor will not spin.. This is what I do to save the CD motor.

If the iPod is playing and you switch to another mode..FM/AM/Tape..you'll here both sources at once.. simply pause the iPod.

The IS300 mod involves slicing into the wires coming from the head unit so you need to switch to go from FM/CD/iPod..

I find it more convienient to not have to do this and simply switch to CD mode and turn on the iPod.

I spliced into the CD changer Line Out wires and put in the socket and relay. I put the switch under the glove box since I rarely use the CD Changer so I didn't want to have the switch visible in everyday use.

The instructions I followed are here:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t...0&page=1&pp=30

I can only upload 1 picture at a time so there are more pictures in the replies.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more clarity.

When you remove the glove box (2 bolts at the top left and right when the box is open and 2 at the bottom left and right when the box is close), you'll see where the wires come in on the right. This area has a lot of space so I put the socket and relay here.
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-picture-053-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by tomv; 05-09-06 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 08:03 AM
tomv
Driver

Under the glove box, there is a molded piece of plastic and this is where I put my switch.
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-picture-051-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-09-06, 08:07 AM
tomv
Driver

I put my iPod in the center console.. Remove the 2 screws at the front floor section and the 2 screws under the removable piece of plastic on the bottom junk holder of the console (where the warning sticker is)
Pull off the top of the center console to get to the rear bolts and put your cable to the iPod.
(no screws.. just pop it off)
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-picture-054-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-09-06, 08:10 AM
tomv
Driver

Here you can see the 2 bolts.. If you remove the black cover seen in the middle of the screen, you'll have access to the back of the top tray so you can route your cables.

When you remove the center console, there is a nice space between the rear vent where I put the cigarette adapter for the Belkin Auto Kit. This kit automatically pauses the iPod when the car is turned off.
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-picture-055-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-09-06, 11:09 AM
russman16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire order question

Tom,

Looks like a sweet install. Congrats and thanks for posting!

I do have a question or two for you:

The same red, white, green and black wires are used correct?

Also from the CD changer, what socket hole #'s are the correct sequence?

is it
From CD Changer
White - goes in #1
Red - goes in #2
etc.

Aux-In - goes in #5 - 8

Any insight would be great. I want to definitely do this for my wife and her 2001 RX300
Old 05-09-06, 11:24 AM
tomv
Driver

I forgot to attach the following diagram.

I had created it for the IS install so the "To HU" would be "To Changer" for the RX.

The pins on the changer are
1 R+ White (mine looked yellow at the connector but white where I spliced it)
6 R- Red
2 L+ Green
7 L- Black
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-wiring-diagram.gif  
Old 05-09-06, 11:27 AM
tomv
Driver

Here's a close up of the wired socket.. The bottom terminals #4 and 12 are wired to black..
Attached Thumbnails Aux In for RX300-picture-052-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-09-06, 11:39 AM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Glad it worked for you.

Lots of folks have been waiting for a solution, you took the lead.

Salim
Old 05-09-06, 01:19 PM
skippy911
Driver

Awesome glad to see it works. I see you said when you switch from cd to tape it still works. Does you have to have a tape in the tape deck? How about on fm does the stupid antenna still pop up? I also will rarely use my cd changer, matter of fact I would like to take it out completely. Will this mod still work if I remove the cd changer? one last thing, where did you get the relay and socket? If they are available at radioshack I will go pick them up on the way home from work and do this mod tonight. Thanks a million
Old 05-09-06, 01:21 PM
Squareback
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the plug!

I guess I never posted before, even though I have been a member this long!

Too many forums in this world!
Old 05-09-06, 01:29 PM
tomv
Driver

Originally Posted by skippy911
Awesome glad to see it works. I see you said when you switch from cd to tape it still works. Does you have to have a tape in the tape deck? How about on fm does the stupid antenna still pop up? I also will rarely use my cd changer, matter of fact I would like to take it out completely. Will this mod still work if I remove the cd changer? one last thing, where did you get the relay and socket? If they are available at radioshack I will go pick them up on the way home from work and do this mod tonight. Thanks a million
If you switch to something that isn't the CD, it will have the sounds or that source AND the iPod (or whatever you use)

IE: when in FM mode, I hear the FM radio AND the iPod. The antenna pops up since the radio is still working and you will here the radio.
Tape mode only works if the cassette is in.

I tried without the changer and it will not work without it.. I believe it is sensing its presence via the TX+ and - wires. Leaving it in buys me the option to pop in a CD if a friend happens to bring one and want to listen to it.

I bought the relay and socket at Frys (there's one in Atlanta and I didn't want to wait for shipping)

Radio shack doesn't carry the relay or socket.

Read through Squarebacks post.. He hyperlinks to the parts online.. It's cheaper..even with shipping, but going to Frys gave me an excuse to check out the store.

You could make the mod use the switch like on the IS so you'd hear the iPod in any mode and then you could remove the changer. Remove the radio and splice into the wires coming from the head unit.. those wires are
6 L- Black
2 L+ Yellow
5 R- Blue
1 R+ Red

This is done like this on the IS since the changer is built-in and we don't really have another option.

Last edited by tomv; 05-09-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 01:32 PM
skippy911
Driver

Hmm at frys you say? The one in gwinett off satellite? If so Im definitly heading there tonight Wish you lived in alpharetta to help me on the install hehe.
Old 05-09-06, 01:35 PM
skippy911
Driver

Also, wish there was a way to remove the changer completly I was gonna put my mac mini in its place guess thats not an option now.
Old 05-09-06, 01:36 PM
tomv
Driver

Also, wish there was a way to remove the changer completly I was gonna put my mac mini in its place guess thats not an option now.
I edited my post while you were responding... it is an option check out my addition.
Old 05-09-06, 01:43 PM
tomv
Driver

Hmm at frys you say? The one in gwinett off satellite? If so Im definitly heading there tonight Wish you lived in alpharetta to help me on the install hehe.
That's the one.. The part I got had different specs than the one Squareback listed.. The part # is R12-17D3-12

12 VDC 4PDT 3A Contact Relay

I do live in Alpharetta..PM me with your phone and I'll call you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aux In for RX300