Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

easy subwoofer upgrade for gs

Old 07-16-06, 02:40 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up easy subwoofer upgrade for gs

sup yall....finally replaced my dead stock sub in the gs....got a kicker c10 and dropped it right it....then i used those pull ties to secure it and used this foam spray called "great stuff" to make an air tight seal around the sub and rear deck. thanks to bananaGS for his awesome diy site and to rmmgs4, darius, raygs and everyone else on clublex for all the help....here are some pix.....

Old 07-17-06, 04:12 AM
NiteOwl
Driver

Let me be the first to call you the McGyver of the stereo forum. Keep us updated on the longevity of that install - I am curious if it will holdup over time. (cops use zipties instead of cuffs many times, so why not secure your sub with it)
Old 07-17-06, 08:11 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NiteOwl
Let me be the first to call you the McGyver of the stereo forum. Keep us updated on the longevity of that install - I am curious if it will holdup over time. (cops use zipties instead of cuffs many times, so why not secure your sub with it)
hahaha...mcgyver...very funny....yeah i am curious to see if it will holdup over time too...i think it will cuz the zipties are in pretty tight and that "great stuff" foam is pretty crucial.....it totally filled up all the gaps...now i just gotta trim it

for those that want an easy subwoofer replacement, this is prob as easy as it gets...

btw, teh sound quality is awesome...way better than stock...this thing thumps hard....so far no rattling either....
Old 07-17-06, 10:58 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

hmm how heavy is the sub?
is there any sagging of the rear deck at all?

im suprised to hear that there are no rattling at all

good work!
remember to trim it McGyver style too, with a swiss army knife
hehe
Old 07-17-06, 11:11 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UberNoob
hmm how heavy is the sub?
is there any sagging of the rear deck at all?

im suprised to hear that there are no rattling at all

good work!
remember to trim it McGyver style too, with a swiss army knife
hehe
im not sure exactly what the weight of hte sub is, but it def felt alot heavier than the stock....its got a big *** magnet on it......

no sagging in the rear deck...it almost fit perfectly in the hole.....i tried to use a blade to trim it, but its a pain in the *** ....i think im gonna try to use a mustache trimmer.....hehehe

im proud of myself, this is the first "mod" i have ever done in my life....i previoulsy had a acura cl type S, but i kept it bone stock
Old 07-17-06, 03:19 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Nice job. I never knew that kicker subs could be used in a free-air application. The only one I saw that mention it was suitable for FA was the Infinity Kappa Perfect. Also, what amp are you using to power the sub?
Old 07-18-06, 06:45 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtgs400
Nice job. I never knew that kicker subs could be used in a free-air application. The only one I saw that mention it was suitable for FA was the Infinity Kappa Perfect. Also, what amp are you using to power the sub?

im using a rockford fosgate 300x amp to power it.....yeah these kicker c10 subs are applicable in a 'free-air'/ infinite baffle setup.....it even says so in the instructions....for $40, this sub is awesome.....waaaaaaaaay better than the stock piece of crap
Old 07-18-06, 01:11 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Default ...

Nice DIY
Old 08-21-06, 08:17 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

minla007 - how does it sound now? updates?
Old 08-21-06, 08:22 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cliffud
minla007 - how does it sound now? updates?
so far so good...there is some rattling on certain songs that come from the rear deck....ill need to investigate further to pinpoint the rattling, but i havent had time lately....not sure if the rattling is coming from how the sub is secured by the zip ties or if it is something else in the rear deck that is rattling
Old 08-21-06, 12:03 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kicker comp is the only line from kicker rated for free air use. Its only rated to handle 150wrms though.

Most of the mtx low end stuff up to the 5500 is also rated for free air. I have one of the 5500's in my SC & it sounds pretty good. although my install was 10x more complicated, I had to enlarge the sub hole just to get the magnet to clear, & build a custom fiberglass spacer.
Old 09-11-06, 09:07 PM
45jimmy
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

do you think a jl 10w7 would fit? would the w7 sound good with a free-air application? or should i build a box for it?
Old 09-12-06, 06:07 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 45jimmy
do you think a jl 10w7 would fit? would the w7 sound good with a free-air application? or should i build a box for it?
i don't think the w7 is meant to be used for a free-air/infinite baffle setup...JL does make an IB4 model which is meant for free-air, but i htink its discontinued...seen it sold at woofersetc.com ....for hte w7, i would build/buy a box for it
Old 09-12-06, 09:48 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the liscense plate as well as the frame. They tend to rattle. Also check that you're not hitting the curved lip at the subwoofer (stock opening). I'd be VERY VERY surprised if you're not hitting that curved bevel. I had to use a spacer ring to prevent my Velodyne sub from hitting it!

Percy
Old 10-01-06, 11:32 AM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Any updates? Still sound good?

What type of bass is reproduced? Do you get more from kickdrums? Are the low-pass frequencies magnified?

I used to compete and I'm used to having 2 12's as a minimum. Now that I'm married (lol), I have to take it a little easy on the upgrades. The stock sub hits (well, picks up and reproduces) the lower frequencies nicer than I've ever heard on any stock system. I always use this CD by Bass Patrol (DJ Kid Fury) and it's track 8 or 9. It covers (tests) the really really low frequencies not really heard but definitely felt in your chest and the stock sub reproduces it well. I was very surprised. It lacked the power to really move the air throught the cab but definitely sounds nice. Of course the free-air application totally kills any kick drums.

Is your kicker application magnifying the stock setup or is it a totally different sound?

Last edited by CRSO; 10-01-06 at 11:35 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: easy subwoofer upgrade for gs