IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 07:56 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch

MODERATOR NOTE: Click here for Navigation Hack DIY Part One - Enable DVD, Phonebook & MP3 Folder While Moving

I decided that a single thread for this DIY would be nice... This has been done in one form or another on some of the other forums (ES for sure), and I have a few posts on here where I was working on this, but I figured it would be nice to have everything all together in one nice DIY thread... Enjoy...

This is a "add-on" DIY for those of you who have already done the nav hack. As we know, the nav hack does NOT enable destination entry while moving... Only mp3 folders while moving, bluetooth phone dialing while moving, and if you have ML, it also enables DVD watching while moving...

If you have V5.1 of the navigation DVD, you can use the override function hidden in the volume menu. But, this must be done every time you start your vehicle, and if you have V6.1, the override is hidden/gone, so that's not even an option (unless you use my hybrid disc method)...

But anyway, for those of you who want to be able to enter destinations while moving at the flip of a switch, this is the DIY for you...

Quick background:

The nav display and nav unit (brain) are two separate parts... Each one has a VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) wire running to it telling them when the vehicle is moving... The standard nav hack cuts the VSS to the nav display, but leaves it running to the nav unit (brain)... This is why you still can't enter destinations while moving, because the nav unit (brain) knows the car is moving... If you cut VSS to the nav unit (brain) then the nav will not work properly because it is using ONLY GPS signals to calculate the vehicle position... So, my solution was to install a switch in between the VSS source and the nav unit (brain) so that when I want to enter destinations I just flip the switch, enter destinations, and when I'm done, flip it back...

So, in summary here's what the switch does:

1) Switch off - Vehicle is in normal operation, nav hack fully enabled, and VSS is reaching the nav unit (brain) - Smooth navigation, destination entry while moving NOT allowed

2) Switch on - VSS is cut, not reaching the nav unit (brain) - Navigation is jumpy/not accurate, destination entry while moving IS allowed

When you switch from on to off, the nav almost instantly becomes smooth again! Very nice...

On to the DIY:

First, cut/unconnect the pink wire that you connected to the silver/white wire (J50 pink wire, J1 silver/white wire) when you originally did the nav hack...

Get two long pieces of wire... Connect one of these pieces of wire to the Pink wire coming out of the loom that originally went to J50...

Next, take your other long piece of wire and connect it to the silver/white wire that originally came out of J1...

Here is my added black wire crimped to the white/silver wire:

So, I think you guys can see where this is going... If we were to connect the two extra wires we just added, the nav hack would be the same as it was before we started... So, run these wires back behind the dash and out from the driver's footwell... Then, connect both of these newly added wires to the switch as such:

So, just run these wires under the dash, tucked up and zip-tied... If you get down where the pedals are you can see up under the dash quite well and secure the wires there... I removed the plastic cover under the dash but I don't think you even need to do that, I just wanted to get a better view... It's not that bad at all...

Now, to mount the switch, I chose the dead switch/panel location to the left of the steering wheel... I removed the side instrument panel cover to get to the back of the 3 buttons (note, in this picture I have already removed the blank and ran the switch through:

You can barely squeeze the clips holding in the blank with some tools, which is what I did. The blank then comes out.

Here is a picture of the blank:

As you can see, you really can't "cut out" an area to mount a switch, unless the switch was TINY... And the plastic is VERY thick (.25") and hard, so it would be difficult to cut even if you could find a mini-rocker switch.

So, here is a picture of my instrument panel with the switch coming out. Unfortunately, the first rocker switch I bought was too small, I wrapped a rubber band around it so it doesn't fall through the cutout:

The Toyota switch I used (http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/switch/) is NOT an exact fit in the slot where the blank used to be... The inner opening of the dash is not big enough as there are two small plastic bars on either side... So, I took out a handy file and filed them down smooth... The Toyota switch was then a perfect fit, and the blank was also still able to fit in there perfectly (if you ever wanted to return it to look like stock)...

It takes some skill and patience to file down the opening perfectly, but it's not that difficult...

UPDATE: This switch - http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45 Appears to be a perfect fit, but no one has tried it yet... Either way, it doesn't have any markings (which I like better), so if anyone wants to do this hack, I'd recommend this switch...

Anyway, here is a picture of the files I used as well as the dash covered up with blank tape to prevent accidental scuffing while filing the inner hole:

The finished product:

Anyway, as usual, this is all on my website... Hope this helps some people who either don't have the software override functionality or who would prefer to have a switch...

One caveat: If you are traveling at high speeds (such as 55+ MPH on the highway) the system will eventually (after 1 minute or so) realize you are moving as it is receiving GPS coordinates... So, if you are at highway speeds and flip the switch, you'll have about 1 minute of time to enter your destination... Then it will be locked out again... But, all you have to do is flip the switch off and back on again and it will unlock... At slow speeds I think this only happens after 2-3 minutes, maybe longer... I've never taken long enough to enter a destination to find out...

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the success of this mod! Enjoy!

Last edited by brociouz; 03-16-12 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-17-06, 08:34 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice write up
Old 12-17-06, 10:08 AM
HaveBlue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Always good to see new ideas.

Technically speaking, would you have normal operation when the switch is ON and override when it's OFF vs the other way around described in your post?
Old 12-17-06, 10:35 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Nice! Always good to see new ideas.

Technically speaking, would you have normal operation when the switch is ON and override when it's OFF vs the other way around described in your post?
When the switch is in one position ("wires connected") the destination entry while moving does NOT work... It's just like having the standard nav hack...

When the switch is in the other position ("wires disconnected") the destination entry while moving does work...

Whether you call it "on" or "off", up to you... Same difference I think
Old 12-17-06, 01:00 PM
bturnbaugh
Driver

Default Very Very Cool

I want say a big thank you! Right on, with your simple step by steps with pictures very cool.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-07, 08:09 AM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

And to confirm., this does work for the 07 is350 Nav right? been getting mix information about this....

btw... awesome DIY..
Old 05-11-07, 10:21 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tdrag97
And to confirm., this does work for the 07 is350 Nav right? been getting mix information about this....

btw... awesome DIY..
Yes, I have an 07 and it works 100%...
Old 05-11-07, 12:14 PM
tdrag97
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Technique
Yes, I have an 07 and it works 100%...
you wouldn't have this in word doc or pdf file do you?
Old 05-11-07, 01:13 PM
mattssi
Pole Position

Why not just leave it on all the time? (I may have skimmed this too fast)

nice job
Old 05-11-07, 01:19 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattssi
Why not just leave it on all the time? (I may have skimmed this too fast)

nice job
Because if you do the nav doesnt track your position properly. I think that was the reason... Something about the speed sensing wire...
Old 05-11-07, 04:34 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-11-07, 05:12 PM
IS35O
Pole Position

Anyone in the SW Connecticut or NYC area want to do this hack for me? $$$
Old 05-11-07, 09:45 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome... thanks for the write up.

What would happen if you just intercepted the pink wire(speed sensor) and installed a switch? (without cutting the white/silver wire)
Old 05-11-07, 10:15 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Awesome... thanks for the write up.

What would happen if you just intercepted the pink wire(speed sensor) and installed a switch? (without cutting the white/silver wire)
This mod would work just the same, but when you flip the switch "off" (re-connect the pink wire), you would not have mp3 folders, bluetooth dialing, caller id, dvd movies (if you have ML), etc...
Old 05-12-07, 08:25 PM
RamshakleZ
Pole Position

Ok - so I plan on doing this in the next few days finally. I have an '07 (no ML)... there is no difference in how this hack (for the brain) and the preceding hack (for the display... phone book, MP3, etc) is done from the 2006 version, right? All the same wires are cut, etc.

2006 hack = 2007 hack completely... right?

Last edited by RamshakleZ; 05-12-07 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Navigation Hack DIY Part Two - Destination Entry While Moving Switch