ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

NAV revisions, lighting probs, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 02:29 PM
sarge43
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post NAV revisions, lighting probs, etc.

Last night at a new owner reception at my Lexus dealer I had occasion to speak with someone from the parts dept. about some issues and here’s what I learned:

Re: the NAV system lockouts – the dealership staff (parts, service, techs, etc.) recently had a meeting with some Lexus reps. and they relayed customer complaints about the speed lockouts to the reps. The discussion on the issue of the system being available for a passenger to use brought up the idea of possibly linking the access to the sensor in the front passenger seat that detects an occupant and arms the airbag. It went a bit further in that if you do this, why not allow full access to the system while in motion but have it be a personalized setting that the owner can have activated or not. This way the owner can acknowledge the risks of operating the NAV system while in motion (as done with the start-up screen). They wouldn’t cancel out the start-up screen but rather just allow the personalized setting choice. [what a great idea!] Nothing specific as to timing or if this would even occur but it is good that they’re apparently listening to us. He went on to say that airing any complaints, suggestions, etc. to the dealer and especially to corporate via the toll free Lexus phone number makes things more visible and feed the fire of refinements/corrections/fixes/improvements, etc.

We also discussed the lack of lighting for the buttons in the roof console area (Homelink buttons) and he said he’d heard of complaints but has not seen or heard of any parts or part revisions to address this. (Lexus definitely has this issue figured out as the new LS has lighted Homelink buttons). Again the suggestion to call Lexus corporate with the idea.

We also spoke of the weak lighting in the trunk and he didn’t really have any recommendations/parts for this other than a caution that tapping into the existing lights, etc. could lead to a warranty voidance claim by Lexus if there future electrical problems encountered (even though the cause may not be the modification). Sounds like a huge CYA statement.

The evening included demonstrations of 2 airbag deployments. Those things are VERY loud when they detonate! Better to have a bit of ear ringing after a crash than not being able to relay your experience to anyone!

Overall the reception was not very eventful but one thing I did notice was that I was probably younger than the children of a majority of the attendees. I suspected Lexus attracts an older crowd but this was pretty funny… Could have been a product of who had time to attend such an event…

Sarge
Old 01-10-07, 04:56 PM
tnedator
Driver

I took my cousin for a ride in my wife's ES350 and was showing how the NAV get's locked out and we came to the same conclusion, in regards to detecting the passenger. I said if it can detect the passenger to ding the annoying seatbelt ding, why can't it do so for a passenger. Or, if they REALLY want to make sure a passenger is operating it, put a button on the right hand door that must be depressed while operating the NAV.
Old 01-11-07, 01:36 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

That dummy I use to travel the car-pool lanes is going to have to gain some weight!
Old 01-12-07, 02:47 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

My two cents regarding the passenger nav lockout bypass--I don't think it'll fly because, even though such a bypass would keep most solo drivers honest, it won't completely prevent the driver from accessing the nav functions when there is an occupant in the front passenger seat. After all, isn't the lockout meant to prevent drivers from performing "unsafe" nav-related functions while the vehicle is in motion? Any bypass--no matter how well-intentioned it may be--that can potentially allow the driver to gain unfettered access to nav functions while the vehicle is in motion would not be logically feasible.

Now I'm not saying I'm all for lockouts and such...just that a passenger bypass makes little logical sense, given the primary purpose of the lockout to begin with. I mean, think about what I'm trying to say--"Hey, I need you to come along w/ me and sit in the passenger seat...so that I can access the nav screen while driving..."
Old 01-12-07, 05:21 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Why not undo the lockouts yourself?

FWIW - guys are playing DVDs, hacking splash screens, and installing carputers... It can be done, if you're so inclined.

I'm definitely going to get into mine soon, the first mod will be the splash screen, the next mod will be to disable the "OK" screen... I don't mind acknowleding aviation databases, but in the car it's simply annoying.

Some splash screen ideas I snagged to show potential, some people put up pics of their kids, etc. if you have an image you can put it on as your splash screen...