Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1. 07 TL-S vs. #2. 07 IS350 vs #3. G35 at Willow Springs Racetrack.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 03:13 PM
LexFather

Exclamation 1. 07 TL-S vs. #2. 07 IS350 vs #3. G35 at Willow Springs Racetrack.

FWD fans, rejoice!! Kudos to the TL-S, the IS 350 2nd and the "japanese bmw" 3rd lol

Driven by professional DRIVER Keiichi Tsuchiya TL-S, G35, IS350 were going at Willow Springs, CA race track.

TL-S, and FWD, prevail in this one. The FWD vehicle with less advertised POWER beat both RWD cars FULL 2 seconds.

1. TL-S 6MT - 1:36:67 sec
2. IS350 - 1:38:24
3. G35 6MT - 1:38:67

Pics from the Japanese magazine the article was in.

Old 04-12-07, 03:57 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could read the article
Old 04-12-07, 04:45 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

keep in mind that the IS only comes in auto.
Old 04-12-07, 05:19 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know if a 6spd manual would have helped the IS350. The auto transmission that it has right now already shifts damn quickly. You also have the paddle shifter to help downshift.
Old 04-12-07, 05:26 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I do acknowledge that anything is possible, I am very skeptical on this one, unless TL-S runs with different suspension tuning than the US version.

If the track is a tighter, slower speed setup, horsepower should be playing second fiddle to the suspension. My problem is that I have driven the US-spec TL-S and found it to be on the soft side (compared to my Lex and to a 2001 Nissan Maxima). Someone posted a link with a video of a comparo some time ago between a G35, BMW 335, IS350, and maybe something else - there was a ~1 second time difference between BMW 335 (1st) and G35 (2nd), although, probably on a different track. I have a hard time believing that a TL-S can hold its own against a 335 (which this result hints at) without substantial suspension upgrades (and an LSD).

Does anyone know if J-spec TL-S is different from US?
Old 04-12-07, 05:39 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I think the problem, Vlad, is that you're arguing against hard factual data with your personal impressions and beliefs. This result will be difficult for many of the members here to swallow who think that any RWD car is inherently superior in every performance way imaginable to any FWD car.

Despite BMW's brilliant marketing as "the ultimate driving machine", a low-end car like the 335i is not going to set many performance benchmarks. Yes, I realize the 3-series is held up as the gold standard for small performance sedans, but in many ways the G, TL, and IS have surpassed it--the enthusiast magazines just haven't let go of their own built-in biases yet.

And, given that Acura is not available in Japan (and the driver was sitting on the right side in those photos), it's probably safe to say it's the US-spec version.
Old 04-12-07, 05:43 PM
LexFather

1. Kudos to Acura, they simply make some of the best FWD cars EVER. The TL-S is clearly no joke.
2. I am sure a standard TL would be slower. This is the upgraded model. Clearly a IS-F would slaughter it.
3. Again, the IS 350 does well and shows it is a sports sedan, even with an auto.
4. While the 1st gen G35 surprised many, the new one is midpack in the segment. The competition has gotten better.
5. How many of you go to the track

Old 04-12-07, 05:53 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

1. Thanks for being "fair and balanced", Mike. I know you're not a huge fan of Acura or FWD cars in general, so it's especially refreshing to see you give credit where it is due.
2. Yes, and an IS250 would also be slower. We'll see how the IS-F does when it comes out, but now we're comparing cars with a huge price difference.
3. The IS350 is also no joke--here's the proof! But can anyone tell in those photos if the TL-S was even a stick? For all we know it may have been an automatic as well.
4. Bingo.
5. True, but how many of us DRIVE like we're at the track when we're on regular roads?
Old 04-12-07, 06:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I just noticed that they threw in the Acura RDX
Old 04-12-07, 06:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Nice find Mike! I will have to admit, the TL Type S is a great package for a FWD. Obviously i'm biased to the IS350 but if I had a choice, the TL-S would be my choice over the G.
Old 04-12-07, 06:58 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Cool!! I always liked this generation TL. Havent driven the TL-S, but driven many TL A-spec models and they drive exceptionally well. And the manual tranny TL's are to die for!! They absolutely have amazing feel!!

A 2 second gap is pretty big around a track. Surprised that both were so far back. Wonder why they couldnt keep up.

Further proof that Lexus can build sporty cars.
Old 04-12-07, 07:00 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Clearly a IS-F would slaughter it.
Not sure what the IS-F has to do with this. But now that you mention it, we should throw in the new M3 to be fair.
Old 04-12-07, 07:19 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Video of the TL-S only at Willow Springs

http://www.xanga.com/TL_Type_S
Old 04-12-07, 07:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ff_
Not sure what the IS-F has to do with this. But now that you mention it, we should throw in the new M3 to be fair.
Originally Posted by texan629
2. How much more do you need to pay for a IS-F to slaughter the TL?

I need both you of you to read below since your intent of arguing with me instead of thinking of what I said.

If the TL-S is the version ABOVE the TL, then the IS-F is the version ABOVE the IS 350. They did not test a base TL vs a IS 350.

Someone, you both don't understand that.

With that said, how about AGREEING with some of the positive things I stated instead of trying to argue for the sake of it.

Old 04-12-07, 08:00 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

The video posted sees the TL-S lap in 1:32.88. The car is a stick and he drives with the VSA off.

That's quite a difference from the times posted in the article above. Different conditions can be assumed, but I'm tempted to think this comparo was with automatics based on the almost 4 second difference.

I'm impressed with the TL-S, but this is a different beast than the normal TL. The engine is a detuned RL 3.5 L, and not the 3.2 L that 98% of TL owners have. I don't have a problem with that at all, but it's worth pointing out. Much like the difference between Integra Type-R and GSRs is.

Quick Reply: 1. 07 TL-S vs. #2. 07 IS350 vs #3. G35 at Willow Springs Racetrack.