RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

SL2X bypass not available on 08 nav

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 07:07 AM
johnp66
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SL2X bypass not available on 08 nav

First impressions after a Saturday install:

The VAIS Sl2x "I agree" bypass doesn't work on our '08 RX350 with navigation and premium audio. Song titles are limited to 16 characters sted 20, which may be the limitation of the Terk satellite receiver/antenna not the VAIS interface.

My wife didn't like the fact that she couldn't scroll the XM channels from the steering wheel, although the presets work fine along with band changes using the mode button. Her G35 scrolled the channels on the wheel.

The Sl2x integrates well and the sound quality is very good. Got no dropouts in a brief drive through the usual tough spots last night. The antenna is in the factory position beside the roof rack opposite the radio antenna.

Install went well thanks to the postings by LexusLover and others. Much easier than on my GS400 and I believe any radio installer can do this one, if you need help. I pulled down the trim piece under the glove box and tucked the antenna wire, which reached the Terk unit --- under the center stack on the passenger side -- perfectly with absolutely no cable left. If using the left rear roof-mount antenna position, you will need to turn the Terk receiver with the antenna connector facing the passenger compartment.

Documentation notes: I never heard the long and short beeps when initializing the Sl2x -- but I have beep turned off on the Nav system and that could be the reason. And nowhere does the literature say to use the Audio button on the Nav unit to display the XM screens.

But I ask myself what this unit brings to the table when compared with the factory unit, which costs $100 more but offers a year of free service with XM. Throw in any cost for the Terk unit and the factory unit improves as a DIY alterntive. The factory unit does not require two units to tuck away, although the SL2X fits fine -- I mounted it piggyback on the Terk satellite receiver.

Not sure I can recommend this unit without the bypass. Another AUX port would add some value, but that was lost to reduce size to allow it to fit under the center stack, I guess.

Thanks again for all of the the previous install posts. You folks are great.

Last edited by johnp66; 10-07-07 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 09:50 AM
roccjard
Driver School Candidate

johnp66,

Thanks for the update. Can you detail the cable run for the antenna wire from the mount position to the Terk unit?
Old 10-08-07, 10:59 AM
johnp66
Rookie

Not working from the manual, so the terminology is my own. Starting at the front will give you the flexibility to to adjust the antenna position on the roof if you come up short.

1. Face the Terk with the antenna opening on the right side of the center stack opening. Pull down the trim piece below the glove box and run the cable across and behind the passenger's right kick panel (door side);

2. Carefully loosen the kick panel, the front and backseat door thresholds and the center post between them. Loosen but don't remove anything -- mine snapped right back into place. Run the cable behind these panels at the bottom and to the passenger side of these pieces -- opposite the weather side.

3. At the back of the backseat door opening, route the cable behind the 7-8 inch wide rubber trim seal (inside lip) that runs beside the smaller black rubber door seal. Continue up to the small gap between the plastic and the upholstery a few inches above the wheel well. This runs horizontal to the floor along the back quarter of the trunk. Use a plastic card to slightly open the gap enough to push the wire into the opening. Be careful not to mar the carpet or upholstery. Fits like a glove. Continue in this groove to the rubber seal on the back power door.

4. Run the cable behind the rubber rear door seal, up and over to the left door hinge. I routed it through the hinge and covered with tape. Also, I used a small piece of tape to hold the cable against the contour of the metal where the door almost meets the roof when the door swings up. Securing it also elminates flex which would weaken the cable.

5. The antenna is positioned on a line perpendicular to the hinge and parallel to the left roof rack opposite the radio antenna.

Using this path the Terk antenna will just reach the factory position on the roof.

Last edited by johnp66; 10-08-07 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-08-07, 11:14 AM
roccjard
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I am going to try this for my XM Roady2 add-on. I currently have the antenna mounted on top of my radar detector with the lead wire threaded inside the power cord of the detector, but the reception is spotty.
Old 10-08-07, 07:56 PM
johnp66
Rookie

I have a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in my GS400 that was professionally installed with the antenna on the rear deck. It has always been subject to dropouts. I may move it outside on the roof when I get a little time.
Old 10-30-07, 10:41 PM
roccjard
Driver School Candidate

johnp66:

Thanks for the details. I just put my XM antenna on the roof using your instructions. I placed the antenna in the center of the roof just forward of the rear power door - the wires go into the rubber gasket very well.

I did modify the run from the gasket into the cargo area - I used the lower section of the the door frame and ran the wire around the edge of the cargo and jack compartments, but basically the same.

The reception is much improved.

Thanks again.

Rick