Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Leatherique diy steps

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 07:17 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leatherique diy steps

I've been getting some emails/pm's from members asking on how to use leatherique rejuvinator oil and prestine clean. Since the fall is here and I usually do a treatment in the fall and spring, I figured this would be a great opportunity to snap a few pics along the way. This is also part of my normal winter prep. Before I outline the steps, heres the products I'm referring to, along with some towels that I'd suggest using during the process.
Leatherique Package
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/lepa.html
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/leather-care.html

Towels:
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/16x16ultra.html

If you have more significant stains/marks, you might consider cleaning them with P21s Total Auto Wash first. This can be diluted as well.
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/totalautowash.html

Ok, heres what else you'll need.

Junk towels. Something to just lay over the center console, seatbelt receptacle, or other areas you dont want to get product on.

Rubber gloves. I dont personally use them, but if you have sensitive skin or dont like to have product on your hands, you might want to wear a pair.

A nice, sunny, warm day.

Ok, here we go:

1. Vacuum out the interior first. Obviously make sure you get the seats. The rest of the interior is up to you.

2. Take some of those junk towels and cover up the areas you dont want to get product on. Again, I'd suggest covering the seatbelt receptacle and center console. You can go all out and cover the carpet, etc, but I really dont think thats necessary.

3. Time to rejuvinate! Using the rejuvinator oil, spray or pour on the product on to the seats. How much you use will depend on how much leather is on your seats and how large the seats are. Typically though, 2-3 ounces per seat is about right. Dont be afraid to use a lot. Once you have some on the seats, rub it in with your hands. Get it in the creases, stitched areas, and everywhere in between. Again, dont be afraid to use a lot. It'll all come off when the time comes. For now though, you want to make sure you have good coverage b/c this is the stuff that will really deep clean and soften the leather.

3.5. Hit other areas that are leather as well. For instance, in my car, I have leather on the steering wheel, doors/armrests, ebrake/shift boot, etc, so I hit those as well.

4. Let the rejuvinator oil and warm weather do its job! I let the rejuvinator oil sit as long as 24 hours, however, its not necessary to let it sit this long if you dont want to. You can apply it in the morning and take it off that afternoon if you want. I'd suggest a minimum of 3 hours though. Otherwise, you're not getting the full benefit of this stuff.

5. Heres the ugly part lol. At this point, the rejuvinator oil is now going to be a sticky mess. Dont be alarmed, this is totally normal. Heres a few pics of what it'll probably look similar to.

Old 09-20-08, 07:17 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

5.5 Start to remove the rejuvinator oil. To do this, you want to take the prestine clean and spray it on to the seats. Using an ultra microfiber towel, begin to wipe away the prestine clean and rejuvinator oil. The majority of it comes off the first pass, but once I do the seat I go back and hit it again real quick to make sure I have a totally clean surface. (note: prestine clean works well on vinyl too)

6. Give the interior some time to air out. I always like to allow the seats to dry. This isnt a requirement, but just something I like to do. Fwiw, I usually give it about an hour before I'll get in and drive.

7. Admire the clean, soft leather This is one thing pictures cant capture, and that is how soft the process makes leather. This stuff really is awesome.
Old 09-20-08, 07:48 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmnn interesting. Will this help take out minor cracks you can see in the leather starting to form?
Old 09-20-08, 08:18 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Hmnn interesting. Will this help take out minor cracks you can see in the leather starting to form?
This isnt meant to repair damaged seats, so if the crack is breaking through the leather, I would have to say no, it probably wont unfortunately.
here is a link to their crack filler: http://leatherique.org/detail.aspx?ID=10
Old 09-20-08, 01:43 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice writeup Chris. I've been looking at the e46fanatics one lately for tips since the RX may need it soon...

Good stuff man
Old 09-20-08, 07:24 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

This product is recommended for use on Rolls Royce. I purchased ours from the Rolls Royce Owners Club figuring if you use it on old Rolls Royce it is good for my Lexus and that it is this does an absolute wonderful job I will definitely buy it again when I am out of it.
Old 09-21-08, 12:10 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Nice writeup Chris. I've been looking at the e46fanatics one lately for tips since the RX may need it soon...

Good stuff man
Thanks! Hopefully it helps out some members. Doing a leatherique treatment is well worth it imo

Originally Posted by herbvdh
This product is recommended for use on Rolls Royce. I purchased ours from the Rolls Royce Owners Club figuring if you use it on old Rolls Royce it is good for my Lexus and that it is this does an absolute wonderful job I will definitely buy it again when I am out of it.
Old 09-22-08, 10:31 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

so does it HAVE to be nice and warm out, or can you say do it on a cold day, but have it sit longer to let it do it's job?
Old 09-23-08, 05:06 AM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Eddiebx
so does it HAVE to be nice and warm out, or can you say do it on a cold day, but have it sit longer to let it do it's job?
It doesnt HAVE to be, it just helps to open up the leather. A sunny day in the fall would be just fine as well
Old 09-23-08, 06:40 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddiebx
I have read of people doing this on cooler days by running the cars heater on full blast with the car all closed up to warm the leather. That should work just as well as the hot sun.
Old 09-23-08, 01:18 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Another alternative to turning on your car is by putting your halogen worklights closer to your car with the door open. It pretty much mimics the effect of the sun on your seats and makes them warm. I would rather do that than waste gas
Old 09-23-08, 04:34 PM
Chris@GlimmerGlass
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
I have read of people doing this on cooler days by running the cars heater on full blast with the car all closed up to warm the leather. That should work just as well as the hot sun.
Originally Posted by eyezack87
^^Another alternative to turning on your car is by putting your halogen worklights closer to your car with the door open. It pretty much mimics the effect of the sun on your seats and makes them warm. I would rather do that than waste gas
Both are good alternatives
Old 09-23-08, 09:06 PM
Eddiebx
Driver

i was actually thinking about facing a heating bulb at my car in the garage, haha.

now for arguments sake, say i tried to do this in the dead of winter, given enough time, would it work in the cold as well? or is it just not going to properly penetrate?

i have a few spots on the seats and back of the headrests and what not that probably got cooked by parking in the sun all the time, and zaino leather in a bottle is just not cutting it on those spots. was tempted to test this out on it. i think the car has the "semi-anilied" leather, would this product work on this type?

thanks again for the tips!
Old 09-23-08, 09:43 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

or use those portable heater fans but that'll raise ur houses elec bill lol.
Old 10-08-08, 09:41 AM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Going out to do this right now!!

Quick Reply: Leatherique diy steps