LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 11:39 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Talking HI-FLOW Cold Air mod for LS400... pics

FINALLY I got off my butt and began work on a HI FLOW air intake system for our beloved LS400s!!!

For those that do not know me I have been a hi performance nut since 1972 when I got my first go-kart and started learning about and then making performance improvements. Since that time I have been involved in many projects including turbocharging and supercharging 1500hp engines.

Now, the goal with my Lexus was an improvement in performance in a package that is easily returned to stock for warranty purposes. I had looked hard at the intake design on my 1996 LS400 and now my 1999 LS400. I also gathered great data from "Petes Soarer Page" (SC300s and SC400s) at http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/BFIDIY.html Please review the details for the specifics of some of my reasoning on this mod.

Now, the mod is "stealthy" in that it is not immediately noticeable upon inspection. This is due to my use of the factory parts wherever possible. This decreases cost significantly and keeps lots of quality Toyota/Lexus engineering. (again review above site for specifics) So far I have increased the instant available air to the air filter by well over 200%. Seat of the pants (SOTP) feels faster and the engine sounds GREAT! Doing a similar mod on a 250hp SC400 yielded 17 horsepower! Again, review the site.

If I decide I can build a kit to sell I will let everyone know to judge interest level. This kit will fit 1995-2000 LS400s. 90s-94s should work similar but I will have to look at those models. Anyone in Houston with a 90-94 LS400 that is interested... let me know and I will take a good look at your car. Also, anyone that has a air filter housing that they do not want/need from ANY LS400... let me know. I would also be glad to look at an LS430.

Last edited by JBrady; 10-28-02 at 03:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JBrady:
Kailash (05-21-20), mashal (06-18-21)
Old 08-16-02, 08:45 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup..for all who do not know jbrady..he really knows his stuff. From BPU upgrades to Forced Induction and APU to insides and outs of the engine, he can tell you basically anything. Something tells me he slept on top of an engine instead of a crib when he was a baby.

Jbrady, I might be interested for a '99 LS400 intake considering it wouldn't hurt for our car to have a little extra power.

Last edited by LS400; 08-16-02 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-17-02, 12:06 AM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since Loule is in the Texas,I volunteer him and he can lend you his car Jbrady and do one for the 90-94 LS400.
Old 08-17-02, 07:15 AM
Blue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Houston, 1995 LS with 43,000 miles currently. It needs a little more oomph. You can e-mail me at MoteCastle@ev1.net or tmote@jansenco.com.
Old 08-18-02, 10:57 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

YES... this mod is killer!!!

I located a spare air filter housing, modified it and it works perfect. This housing was off a 95-97 so I can confidently say that this mod will work on ALL 1995-2000 year LS400s. If Loule will contact me we can get an idea for the 90-94s as well.

This mod is completely stealthy (sorry for you guys wanting something "flashy" to look at) and makes better power than a pod intake setup. The keys to success are maximum airflow with the coldest possible air. I will try to take some pics to post but for now what I have done is retained the stock cold air feed located over the radiator and opened up the front of the round air filter housing. I have also made a (temporary at this point) heat shield to block underhood heat and removed the seal around the right headlight creating good cold air feed to the filter front. There is no need to buy a different filter as the stock part works great (see the website in my first post). Truely, all this mod consists of is modifying the stock pieces and building the heat shield. Once I fabricate a permanent shield I will probably offer it and instructions for making the mods for a modest charge (enough to cover the effort and materials). For those wishing to be able to return the car to stock you will need another housing to modify. This is what I did and I intend to go back and forth when the car goes in for service.

I will add more info soon.

Anyone interested can email me at jbrady@vpn-inc.com

And thanks LS400-JK for the support!

Last edited by JBrady; 08-18-02 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-18-02, 11:09 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

RESULTS:

I am planning on going to the track very soon to test this mod, maybe tonight! I went Wednesday (prior to the mod) but it was rained out. This is so easy to change I will take the stock housing and try it with and without to see if there is a measureable change.

So far, the engine at idle and cruise is a quiet as ever. Medium acceleration creates just a very slight increase in sound, you really have to be paying attention. FULL throttle creates a substantial increase in sound... Sounds GREAT These 32 valve V8s sound great at 6200rpm!!! It definitely "feels" faster but the seat-of-the-pants gauge is not the best way to make this determination.

I find myself looking/creating excuses for WOT blasts just to hear this thing sing. Also, first gear was shifting at 6000 with the other gears shifting at 6200 and now 1st seems to be getting all the way to 6200. Again, I will try to confirm this as a change when I go to the track.
Old 08-19-02, 02:00 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

System assembled, notice that their is NOTHING to see!
Attached Thumbnails Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!-cai-assembled.jpg  
Old 08-19-02, 02:02 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Picture of modified air filter housing installed.
Attached Thumbnails Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!-mod-housing-1.jpg  
Old 08-19-02, 02:07 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Another angle on the modified housing. Notice that I retained the rectangular cold air intake insert retainer to hold the factory air feed box. This is a good source of cold air and serves several functions including sealing the engine compartment and a partial heat sheild for the air filter area. Also notice I retained the front mounting bolt bracket on the front of the housing. This supports everthing as factory and should be kept.
Attached Thumbnails Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!-mod-housing-2.jpg  
Old 08-19-02, 02:11 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Here is a picture of the headlight seal that I removed. By removing this seal I have created aproximately 100% more cold air available to the front of the air filter without cutting anything and is completely reversable. I have driven this in heavy rain at 70mph and no water migrated into the air filter area. Water is heavier than air and separates when the air makes a quick turn and never gets to the area.
Attached Thumbnails Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!-headlight-seal.jpg  

Last edited by JBrady; 11-01-02 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 02:17 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Here is a picture of the modified filter housing next to a stock housing and a filter element. The filter element is very good and no replacement is needed. The only thing I haven't pictured is the heat shield because it is temporary and I intend to construct a permanent part. At this point the shield is mearly a thick piece of cardboard cut to fit. I am considering a few designs. Also, I will be sliding a piece of flexible rubber fuel line over the radiator to resevoir tube that passes in front of the air filter and radiates unwanted heat to this area.
Attached Thumbnails Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!-compare-1.jpg  
Old 08-19-02, 09:36 PM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by FABULOUS CELSIOR
Since Loule is in the Texas,I volunteer him and he can lend you his car Jbrady and do one for the 90-94 LS400.
WHAT?!

How the hell I get volunteered before I even know what is going on?!

Jbrady, I'll give you a holla.
Just gotta finsih up the Lex stereo install first.
Should be done by the end of this month or early next month.

You know just looking at that I don't think the stock filter can handle a lot of water, I reccomend inserting a factory fit K&N filter.
Not only can a K&N filter handle water better, it breathes better then the stock filter.

Last edited by SQ-LS; 08-19-02 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 12:17 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by loule

WHAT?!

How the hell I get volunteered before I even know what is going on?!

Jbrady, I'll give you a holla.
Just gotta finsih up the Lex stereo install first.
Should be done by the end of this month or early next month.

You know just looking at that I don't think the stock filter can handle a lot of water, I reccomend inserting a factory fit K&N filter.
Not only can a K&N filter handle water better, it breathes better then the stock filter.
Sorry man... you have already been volunteered!

I appreciate the K&N suggestion but if you read the post on the headlight seal you should notice that I have already tested in heavy rain at highway speed with NO water reaching the filter area! Also, if you read through the site I list in the first post you will see that the stock filter creates so little restriction in this configuration that spending more money is not needed. If you want or have a K&N no problem. I have used them before but just not a noticeable difference. Anyway, drop me a line when you can and we will take a look at that 93...
Old 08-21-02, 11:20 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Will do big guy.
I'll be on vacation again next week in Vegas!
And the car won't be done till sometime early Sept.
I'll give you a holla then.
Old 08-21-02, 02:07 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by loule
Will do big guy.
I'll be on vacation again next week in Vegas!
And the car won't be done till sometime early Sept.
I'll give you a holla then.
hehe looks like we have a volunteer

Quick Reply: Hi Performance LS400 mod... in the works!