GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

maxima convert

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-03, 10:39 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maxima convert

After much reluctance to replace my current car (96 Maxima w/ 100,000+ miles) with a GS400. I managed to pick up a 98 Blue GS400 w/ Nak and tan leather, wing, imaculate interior for $21,000. I had to talk them down from $23,500. It has 69,000 miles and drives like a charm. No noise from the interior or when giving it gas from the engine... Is this a decent price for the mileage? I actually am supposed to pick it up tomorrow so I am asking the Lexus community if I should look harder for a better price. Sorry.. but I am a newbie when it comes to Lexus prices.. I come from a long line of Nissan owners but I wanted a V8 and didn't feel like waiting for the new Maxima (which I think is ugly). It seemed like a decent price ... and from what I read on the forums they didn't make that many blue gs400's... Is there anything else I should be looking for? Yay or Nay?

Julian Brock

Last edited by magnetik; 03-17-03 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-18-03, 04:11 AM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the options and mileage you got a good deal. Do a search here on the forum for warranty options. A company called "Warranty Gold" offers a lexus warranty for a longer duration and at cheaper prices than what's offered by the dealer. (That is if you were going to add a warranty).
Old 03-18-03, 06:12 AM
LexFather

Welcome to ClubLexus!!! We have many members and meets in Texas. We have quite a few members that either traded up to a GS 400 or still have their Maxima.
Old 03-18-03, 07:25 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Thumbs up

V8 vrooom vroom
Old 03-18-03, 07:48 AM
FilBoiLsGs
Driver

Default Re: maxima convert

Originally posted by magnetik
After much reluctance to replace my current car (96 Maxima w/ 100,000+ miles) with a GS400. I managed to pick up a 98 Blue GS400 w/ Nak and tan leather, wing, imaculate interior for $21,000. I had to talk them down from $23,500. It has 69,000 miles and drives like a charm. No noise from the interior or when giving it gas from the engine... Is this a decent price for the mileage? I actually am supposed to pick it up tomorrow so I am asking the Lexus community if I should look harder for a better price. Sorry.. but I am a newbie when it comes to Lexus prices.. I come from a long line of Nissan owners but I wanted a V8 and didn't feel like waiting for the new Maxima (which I think is ugly). It seemed like a decent price ... and from what I read on the forums they didn't make that many blue gs400's... Is there anything else I should be looking for? Yay or Nay?

Julian Brock
Welcome to the club!

Since you bought your car from a private party & not a CPO , I think it is a good idea to shop around for extended warranty for your peace of mind. Check with the previous owner how he'd maintained the car though and update your service as much as possible. Since it is already over 60K miles, it is assumed that the 60K mile service has been done and an oil/filter/tire rotation was done somewhere 65K or 67K.
I also think that it is a good deal ($21K for 69Kmiles) because a comparable CPO (w/ lower milage)would cost close to $30K with that options. Enjoy your car and drive safely.
Old 03-18-03, 09:29 AM
russ29
Rookie

Welcome to the club...

I am also a past Maxima ownwer (91 w/ 214k miles and a 99 w/ 90k miles)

I did much research on edmunds and kelly blue book (kbb) to verify pricing before I purchased a 99 GS300 with 31k miles.

I agree, the new MAx is very ugly. I saw it at the car show. I just don't understand why Nissan would do that to their best!
Old 03-18-03, 06:31 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

post some pics!!!
Old 03-18-03, 06:51 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Another former Maxima owner here(94 GXE, 97 SE 5 Spd and 98 SE 5 Spd). I consider the car your looking at as a good deal. Just saw the new Maxima today, pretty ugly. The highlight of the night was a 20 minute back road/highway testdrive of a Black 350Z Track Model 6 speed. WOW, what a sweet car. They were offering me what I paid for my GS4 as trade in and the car at a pretty nice deal. I was tempted.
Old 03-18-03, 08:13 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: maxima convert

Julian Brock
My CU Black Book Retail shows the following retail price for 98 GS400: $24,175 Extra Clean, $23,925 Clean and $20,525 Average.
Old 03-19-03, 11:36 AM
brianb
Rookie

I currently have a 91 Maxima with 280k miles and still running stong. The paint does not look all that great though. It makes a great work car since I have a 25 mile commute one way and have to park in gravel which turns into a lake when it rains. I hope I can get 400k out of it.

My GS 400 is for weekends and Holidays.
Old 03-19-03, 03:08 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

I picked up the car today and talked them down even more to 20,500 AND they are switching the rims out for 17" factory chrome ones! It's good to be good friends with the person that does their websites.. hehe. They didn't have any GS's in stock but I will go there next week after they get more in to do the swap out..

Oh.. BTW, what the heck are the buttons on the steering wheel? the ones on the rear also...

I also love the blue.. I never thought I would own a blue car but I like this one.. a lot of people already complimented me on it already... I have had black (too hard to keep scratches off), pearl white (loved it), and now blue.

The only thing tho' is that I am missing the changer cartridge... I figure I could get one on ebay.. it sucks that I can't even listen to a CD.. Does anyone know if it's a 6disc or 12disc? It looks like 12 because there are like 2 doors that push back.

When I get my digicam back.. I will be sure to post some pics.

I have 101,000 miles on my Maxima so I am not turning my back on Nissan because the Max has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.. I wish I wouldn't have bought the 3 year warrantee .. because I never used it once. I decided I would rather keep the max since they probably would rip me on a trade in anyway... plus it's only $70 extra a month for full coverage adding the Lex to my insurance.

Another thing is that I got used to playing MP3's in my Alpine.. I will have to get used to playing normal CD's... I just loved have 50+ songs on 1 cd. (Who needs a changer?)

Julian Brock

I want to go to a meet the next time one comes to Texas (I am across from Nasa). I used to go to Maxima meets in Austin and always had a great time.

Last edited by magnetik; 03-19-03 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-19-03, 03:34 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Oh.. BTW, what the heck are the buttons on the steering wheel? the ones on the rear also...

The only thing tho' is that I am missing the changer cartridge... I figure I could get one on ebay.. it sucks that I can't even listen to a CD.. Does anyone know if it's a 6disc or 12disc? It looks like 12 because there are like 2 doors that push back.
Hey Julian, welcome to the club. The buttons on the wheel are to control the E-Shift, essentially Lexus's version of a manumatic. Put the shifter into M and you have control of the gear shifts.

The stock Lexus CD changer cartidge holds six discs. I think you can find them for around $25 - $30.
Old 03-19-03, 04:50 PM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Hey,,,,,Welcome to CL..................

Congrats on your new ride. It sounds like you got a great deal . I too came from a Maxima...had a 98 SE 5 speed. I loved that car, but I love my GS that much more.
Good Luck with your ride!
Old 03-19-03, 05:48 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I picked up the car today and talked them down even more to 20,500 AND they are switching the rims out for 17" factory chrome ones! It's good to be good friends with the person that does their websites.. hehe. They didn't have any GS's in stock but I will go there next week after they get more in to do the swap out..

Oh.. BTW, what the heck are the buttons on the steering wheel? the ones on the rear also...

I also love the blue.. I never thought I would own a blue car but I like this one.. a lot of people already complimented me on it already... I have had black (too hard to keep scratches off), pearl white (loved it), and now blue.

When I get my digicam back.. I will be sure to post some pics.

I have 101,000 miles on my Maxima so I am not turning my back on Nissan because the Max has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.. I wish I wouldn't have bought the 3 year warrantee .. because I never used it once. I decided I would rather keep the max since they probably would rip me on a trade in anyway... plus it's only $70 extra a month for full coverage adding the Lex to my insurance.

Another thing is that I got used to playing MP3's in my Alpine.. I will have to get used to playing normal CD's... I just loved have 50+ songs on 1 cd. (Who needs a changer?)

Julian Brock

I want to go to a meet the next time one comes to Texas (I am across from Nasa). I used to go to Maxima meets in Austin and always had a great time.
Congrets and Welcome to the GS Club!!! I have a 03 Maxima SE also (3rd Maxima) for the snowy Midwest winter. I just purchased my 99 GS400 and the CD changer cartridge is missing also. It is a 6-disk cartridge and the dealer charges about $30.
Old 03-19-03, 06:42 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

Wow! I didn't know so many current Lexus GS owners are previous or still currently Maxima drivers.. I guess I did make a smart move because so many people can't be wrong! :-) I guess I shouldn't be surprised.. since it's the logical next step. I always wanted a V8. The last V8 I owned was a Olds 442. Since I am a still max enthusiast.. I am glad that a lot of ya kept your max's. I mentioned that I was getting a GS on the max forums and they didn't go off on me... they were actually very cool about it.... and said that the GS was a great choice.

I am planning on keeping the max because I still love the car and I am sure I will get another 100,000 miles at least. Plus it has black leather.. I wish my Lexus had black leather..

Julian Brock

Last edited by magnetik; 01-21-04 at 08:19 PM.

Quick Reply: maxima convert