Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 01:26 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MUH
FIENDS PLEASE DO NOT LET FRIEDNS USE CHEAP EBAY SUSPENSION PARTS!

This thing on the pictures below was perfectly brand new lower ball joint purchased by me about 16 months ago on eBay. It all started when I first came across this thread about 2 years ago. I had 2001 GS430 and being a car enthusiast decided to replace ball joints and tie rod ends as a preventive measure so my car would not look like the original topic starter's car one day.

Car had approximately 80K mile on it so I decided to go ahead and change those suspension parts just to be on a safe side, besides nobody got hurt by installing the new steering and suspension parts. So I got parts from eBay. Pleasantly inexpensive. If my memory serves me well - set of 2 LBJs was about $80. That's two-and-a-half times cheaper than dealer. So I thought: Oh..piece of cast iron is a piece of cast iron. Who cares where it was made. I am not paying two times more just because they want to sell me a nice Toyota Logo on the package. I used to be a mechanic myself and have installed tons of aftermarket parts in my life. Shoul be no problem".

So I installed those LBJs and enjoyed them for about 16-18 months until day before yesterday this damned thing just gave up on me. I can't express how extremely lucky I feel myself that it happened at approximately 3mph speed on a parking lot and not on a highway.
WOW! Holy failure Batman! Make sur and let everyone know the manufacturer and seller of these joints so no one makes this same mistake. Also glad you and your car survived this horrific incident!
Old 11-27-11, 02:10 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

95% of this board would rather point you to OEM since its made "better" so finding info here about other brand LBJ is kinda hard.

however you can be our very first tester for those LBJ
Old 11-28-11, 11:50 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vwynn
95% of this board would rather point you to OEM since its made "better" so finding info here about other brand LBJ is kinda hard.

however you can be our very first tester for those LBJ
It's very tempting considering the price and there is a 2yr warranty on them. The only thing I could find on them was the UCA/ball joint broke on a guy because he was running a set of 22's as far as the lowers go the Audi,BMW,M-Benz,Volvo,VW guys seem to think there just fine. So like I said its very tempting.
Old 11-30-11, 01:16 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

I hear Moog stands up pretty well. Then they carry the limited lifetime warranty, so it's made with quality parts. I haven't heard anyone complaining how their Moog failed them.
Old 01-09-12, 11:12 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess it's my turn to add my woes....
this happened on Friday on my way back home.
Luckily I was driving on the service road doing 25mph when it broke off.
I noticed my steering sucked *****, had a hard time controlling
when I hit small potholes and bumps on the road. I was changing lanes,
then it happened, horrible noise then ended in the middle of the road.
What makes it funny, I was stuck in Howard Beach area. Anybody from
NYC would know the history of that area. Strangely I received help from
PIzza employees neighborhood residents and Firemen nearby flagging
other drivers away from my car. Well, I got the LBJ fixed but unfortunately
I think I messed up the sensor wires cuz my ABS /VSC lights are on.
I used Beck/Arnley LBJ to fix the problem. I'm gonna do the other
side soon to play it safe. The steering control while driving is way better
now. Can you good folks let me know what parts I need to clear these on the
dash?

It shaved alil bit on the wheel on the inside.
Name:  IMAG0486.jpg
Views: 3377
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0483.jpg
Views: 3393
Size:  87.4 KB
Old 01-09-12, 12:27 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

What year is your car and how many miles? By the wheels, it looks like a 01+ model...which would be my first time reading about this year LBJ's going out with stock set up. You will need another sensor wire to fix the problem. Also, after looking at multiple pics on this site, why is it the right LBJ that typically breaks first?Lexus should be ashamed with the CRAP OEM LBJ's they been installing on the GS since 93!!!! I'm going to install my MOOG LBJ's and tie rods as soon as they come in this week.
Old 01-09-12, 01:20 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GokuSSJ3
What year is your car and how many miles? By the wheels, it looks like a 01+ model...which would be my first time reading about this year LBJ's going out with stock set up. You will need another sensor wire to fix the problem. Also, after looking at multiple pics on this site, why is it the right LBJ that typically breaks first?Lexus should be ashamed with the CRAP OEM LBJ's they been installing on the GS since 93!!!! I'm going to install my MOOG LBJ's and tie rods as soon as they come in this week.
It's 2003 Sportdesign with 115k.
Old 01-09-12, 02:16 PM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SPRTNYDSN
It's 2003 Sportdesign with 115k.
that's not good. I have a 03 SD with 123k miles.
(however, my OEM balljoints just got to me a week ago. Guess I will go ahead and install those soon)

Also, most problems were caused from 98-00 models. Do you know if the balljoint that failed on your car was OEM (or replaced previously?)
Old 01-09-12, 02:26 PM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by runyun
that's not good. I have a 03 SD with 123k miles.
(however, my OEM balljoints just got to me a week ago. Guess I will go ahead and install those soon)

Also, most problems were caused from 98-00 models. Do you know if the balljoint that failed on your car was OEM (or replaced previously?)
Well, I don't know if the part is OEM, I still have it in my possession. Is there a way to tell? The last owner lived in a bumpy area to begin with, so I'm assuming that he driven all over the NYC without changing the ball joints. I know he changed the waterpump filters spark plugs (90k maintenance) stuff but thats about it. I've been driving it for 2 years so far. Besides the this problem, the other problem I ran into was Limp Mode due to heavy rain downpour.
Old 01-10-12, 06:05 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

^^^ It's OEM LBJ's. They suck. It's been the one major weak spot on the GS models since 1993. Glad you were not driving fast and please replace the left side very soon. There goes the so called theory on this site that the 01+ lbj's are made better lol. I have read that a lot but no one has provided any supporting documents or TSB from Lexus stating that the 01 joints are made better than the 98-00. If someone has it, please post it.
Old 01-10-12, 03:50 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

^^^ It's OEM LBJ's. They suck. It's been the one major weak spot on the GS models since 1993. Glad you were not driving fast and please replace the left side very soon. There goes the so called theory on this site that the 01+ lbj's are made better lol. I have read that a lot but no one has provided any supporting documents or TSB from Lexus stating that the 01 joints are made better than the 98-00. If someone has it, please post it.
+1 I would really like to see some info supporting that theory, so I know what bj's to buy. Mine are definitely needing to be changed. Thanks in advance to whoever can provide the supporting info.
Old 01-10-12, 08:59 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

I just received my Moog lbj's. They look well made and are made in Japan. They even come with valve to grease the joint for longevity. Great purchase for $80/pair.
Old 01-10-12, 09:22 PM
socal72
Lead Lap

I just received my Moog lbj's. They look well made and are made in Japan. They even come with valve to grease the joint for longevity. Great purchase for $80/pair.
Who did you buy them through?
Old 01-11-12, 05:43 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by socal72
Who did you buy them through?
Go to RockAuto.com. They have great prices for items for our cars. I actually paid $120 shipped for two well made LBJ's and two outer tie rods by MOOG. If you Google rock auto, you should find a 5% off code you can enter on their website "how did you hear about us". They ship very fast (purchased last Friday, received yesterday) and their cust service is outstanding.
Old 01-11-12, 06:42 AM
runyun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Moog parts. (except I went with OEM LBJ)
I did buy outer tie rods though. Looks beefy and IIRC, $25 a piece.

the only thing I didn't care for was their Sway Bar endlinks. The 2 mounting holes were off by 1mm or so. Had to get creative to squeeze them in. (Guess I could have just drilled it out a little)

Quick Reply: Lower Ball joint failed today - with pics