Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

clear rims who makes these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 03:38 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do I place my order.
Old 02-28-06, 08:57 PM
USCayenne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
So, your engineering background is in materials science? Bullets don't create a fatigue situation that Lexan has to deal with over TIME. Lexan is resistant to localized impact, i.e. what a bullet does when it strikes. Have you ever seen how thick Lexan has to be to absorb this type of impact? Also, once a bullet has struck Lexan, the panel is DONE.

Okay, okay... I guess if the wheel is good enough for dmoney's homie, it must be okay. How do I order my set?

Seriously, the homie can't spell or punctuate... c'mon, stop yanking our chains, dude.

As a Mechanical Engineer, I can say with quite some ease that you are speaking out of your rear. I know dmoney personally, and my brother is workin on the project as well. I just wanted to say that they are using the same thickness lexan that is used at sea world for all of the clear tanks. If a 4x8+ panel can withstand thousands of pounds of water pressure, I really dont think a 20" circular piece will have any problems supporting the forces applied while driving.
Old 03-01-06, 03:53 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by USCayenne
As a Mechanical Engineer, I can say with quite some ease that you are speaking out of your rear. I know dmoney personally, and my brother is workin on the project as well. I just wanted to say that they are using the same thickness lexan that is used at sea world for all of the clear tanks. If a 4x8+ panel can withstand thousands of pounds of water pressure, I really dont think a 20" circular piece will have any problems supporting the forces applied while driving.

Tell us how thick the lexan will be
Old 03-01-06, 05:51 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

theres no point in arguing if it comes out on the market we will know the truth
Old 03-01-06, 05:53 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vborder
i too think its photoshop ....you can always put a reflection on anything in photoshop....i work on photoshop everyday...so as a designer...i think this can be acheive...like he says... the rivets are blurry....... unless they're spinners
the rivets are blurry because you are looking at it from the side it is drilled through the glass. If it was in motion then you would not see the distinct grooves on the tires. If you were looking at the rims straight then you would not see that blurry effect.

I think its cool something new. good luck with it.
Old 03-01-06, 09:25 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a stain on the fender closest to the door that continues perfectly onto the driveway. may be chopped, but nice idea regardless.
Old 03-01-06, 01:51 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by USCayenne
Wow... nobody ever told me that before.

You are obviously confused about the load placed on the Lexan by water versus cornering and radial loads generated by a road automobile. Factor in elements such as temperature changes, impacts, stress risers created by the holes needed to accommodate the assembly fasteners, exposure to UV and chemicals and you've got two entirely different envirmonments.

Please send your Lexan wheels to Goal Laboratories in El Monte and let's have them test it.
I have the address if you need it.
I look forward to the results.
Old 03-01-06, 02:03 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoney
OK THIS IS NOT DMONEY ITS HIS HOMIE AND AS FOR THIS LEXAN CRAP I KEEP HEARING ABOUT WHO CARES THESE WHEELS I SEEN PERSONALY AND TEST DROVE THE STRENTH OF THEM IS REDICULOUS... WOW AND HEAT.. MELTING THEM THIS IS FUNNY..LOL just wait and you will see what comes. you have no idea what Dmoney has coming 4 this wheel world. all u got a pic of is a leaked pic not the dope pics we took not the videos either. I 'm just posting her to vouch and bACK THIS PRODUCT 100% and yes the car in the pics has no BBk but looks sick as all hell rolling i thing dmoney broke like 500 necks when he was driving it. woo wee people were starring. then when he roasts the tires it looks sick with the smoke looks cool. just my 2 cents and for potholes and railroad tracks these wheels eat them for breakfast..

This made my day ...
Old 03-09-06, 10:33 PM
noop
Instructor

JW , how would you clean the inner part of the wheels from the brake dust?
Old 03-10-06, 04:03 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by noop
JW , how would you clean the inner part of the wheels from the brake dust?

Im sure they invented some space age cleaner that you just spray in the direction of the wheel and it magically polishes the whole wheel
Old 03-10-06, 06:50 PM
papachino
Pole Position

If everyone is doubting the strength in the wheel, then why not put a double layer of lexan, one sheet on both sides of the rivets?
Old 03-10-06, 08:22 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

I'm not buying that it's photoshop. Sure you can put a reflection anywhere, but why, and who would think to do it. I'm betting that it's a one off to show off suspension as mentioned earlier. Here's a closeup of the rim...

See the reflection?
Attached Thumbnails clear rims who makes these?-clear-rim.jpg  

Last edited by Chpsk8; 03-10-06 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-10-06, 08:29 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Ok check this picture out a little closer. The sticker is still on the tire. This car hasn't even rolled!
I've worked with a lot of Lexan making guards for industrial equipment. It may be good at stopping metal bits from hitting you, but it I wouldn't trust it to use as a rim.
Attached Thumbnails clear rims who makes these?-clear-rim-2.jpg  
Old 03-11-06, 05:25 AM
EL PAALO
Driver School Candidate

those stickers can stay on for quite awhile .......... saw a truck on the highway in houston with the stickers still on and then passed him again an hour later well outside houston and they were still there.
Old 03-11-06, 08:55 AM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EL PAALO
those stickers can stay on for quite awhile .......... saw a truck on the highway in houston with the stickers still on and then passed him again an hour later well outside houston and they were still there.
True, but with all the armor all on the tread, and the sticker that looks intact, I think it's just sitting there and not a real roller.

Quick Reply: clear rims who makes these?