Wheels, Tires & Brakes Forum Where else do you go for wheel, tire and brake information?

hub centric ring really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 03:20 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Question hub centric ring really necessary?

ive searched hub centric rings, and it seems like not too many people are using them with aftermarket wheels. the guy who put my wheels on for me warned me my rims will wobble so i might need some rings. but should i seriously consider them if i am soon installing a camber kit and getting an alignment done? any info on this would be great, thanks in advance. i was thinkin the camber kit should fix this problem.
Old 11-19-05, 03:21 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you need them.
Old 11-19-05, 03:34 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hub centric rings are for the most part independent of alignments and camber kits. Most aftermarket wheels are not made for specific cars so the hub size is generic. Even if the bolt pattern fits your car, the center will be larger than the car's hub lip. When you mount the tire, you are at the mercy of procedure.

It is said that if you mount the wheels properly using the star pattern, it should mount into the center. In real life, though, people still complain of vibrations since the wheels are not exactly centered. The hub centric rings are adapters that will allow you to put the wheels exactly in the center and have them fit snugly onto the hub lip.

Although not truly necessary, I think it is a VERY STRONG want.
Old 11-20-05, 12:46 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you know what exact size hubcentric ring you need?? wheres a good place to get them from??
Old 11-20-05, 02:22 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

the new set of wheels i recently purchased came with hub centric rings front and rear. i would highly recommend using these rings makes the wheel more centered and less vibration.
Old 11-20-05, 02:27 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Originally Posted by prjctSC300
how do you know what exact size hubcentric ring you need?? wheres a good place to get them from??
i have been informed if not given by the wheel company, call them up and ask. also on another note: i did just that and they said stock lexus 74.1. is this the inner diameter size or outer? i was thinking outer.
Old 11-20-05, 04:29 PM
Lvangundy

The SC guys have discovered that running wheels without them eventually breaks the wheel studs, don't drive without the rings.
Old 11-20-05, 06:05 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nysupraman
i have been informed if not given by the wheel company, call them up and ask. also on another note: i did just that and they said stock lexus 74.1. is this the inner diameter size or outer? i was thinking outer.
Holy crap. What wheel shop is this? The Lexus hub size is 60.06mm (sometimes listed as 60.1) for the cars. The 74.1 might be the size of the wheel center bore.
Old 11-20-05, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
The SC guys have discovered that running wheels without them eventually breaks the wheel studs, don't drive without the rings.
breaking the studs? man i would say that's probably errors when putting on the lug nuts
Old 11-21-05, 05:30 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
breaking the studs? man i would say that's probably errors when putting on the lug nuts
Henry, I think Mark had a broken stud on his sc with the Amistad type R's What was that from?
Old 11-21-05, 05:46 AM
Lvangundy

Rominl, this is what I'm referring to.

http://planetsoarer.com/offset/studs.htm

Maybe I misinterpreted the thread and write-up?

Originally Posted by rominl
Old 11-21-05, 11:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by camillian
Henry, I think Mark had a broken stud on his sc with the Amistad type R's What was that from?
haha that? that's probably from our mighty mark he always over torqued his lug nuts until i got him a tq wrench

(mark is going to kill me)
Old 11-21-05, 11:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Lvangundy
Rominl, this is what I'm referring to.

http://planetsoarer.com/offset/studs.htm

Maybe I misinterpreted the thread and write-up?
i read it. yeah i think that's more about how the lug nuts are put on. see if my theory is right.

the idea of the hub rings is that with them on, when you put on your wheels, they are already centered by the *hub*, so the lug nuts are just put on to tighten the wheels on to the car. now i have read somewhere, and i also believe it, that if once all the lug nuts are on tight and assuming the wheel is centered correctly, the hub ring is actually "loose", coz' everything is centered and there is no force on the ring.

however, consider the case with no hub rings. you put on the wheel, but since there is no ring, the wheel will HANG on the studs (due to gravity). what you actually see if you look at the 5 lug nut holes on the wheel is, the stud will *not* be in the center of the hole, it will be at the top. this also makes sense.

so when you tighten up the lug nuts, you are actually asking the lug nuts to *push* the wheel up in an attempt to make the stud back to the middle of the hole. well, that's just your luck. if it does, yes you are good, and this is called *lug* centric (instead of hub centric). however, if the wheels are too heavy or due to other factors, you might actually start bending the studs or putting tremendous stress on the studs with the lug nuts. basically the result is 1) the wheel is not centered, 2) the treads on the stud and lug nuts might be stripped, 3) you put too much stress on the stud in directions it's not designed for and thus risking breaking them.

now asume in an super idea case, where you have two people, one put on the wheel and hold it in such a position where the studs are right in the middle of the lug nut holes. then you put on the lug nuts and tighten them down tightly. think about it, this is NO difference from teh case with the hub ring, and i don't think you will have issues.

so could it be done? yes. is it hard? very.

just my 2 cents
Old 11-23-05, 04:23 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hub centric rings

You need them. I had a new set of 18" after market rims on my LS. The wheels wobbled and the local tire shop said they were warped. After installing the plastic rings they roll fine -- fyi.

Steveski
Old 11-23-05, 04:43 PM
nysupraman
Racer

thanks for all ur help guys, rominl your very knowledgable, im waitin for them to arrive, got some offline, then i need to put them on, the wobble is soo annoying and feels real dangerous. im not drivin the car till i have them on.

Quick Reply: hub centric ring really necessary?