Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

PROBLEM WITH NAVIGATION!?!? it says im moving when im idael ! HELP >>> DAVE? anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-04, 06:20 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM WITH NAVIGATION!?!? it says im moving when im idael ! HELP >>> DAVE? anyone?

I know dave has the same Nav as i do ... ECLIPSE AVN2454

Brought it home last night after the nav install..... when im stopped @ a red light ... it thinks im still moving ..and keeps on going.. and alot of times it shows that im on some street near by and not the actual street that im on! .... Anything that couldve been done wrong?

im going to the audio shop on tuesday ... needed some help before to calm my nerves !!

Another thing ... they put the GPS sensor on the OUTSIDE!! on my trunk
i wanted it on my front dash ... they said ill have better GPS reception if its outside on the trunk ?? is that true?? on the front dash = bad reception ?? it dosnt look The best on the trunk

Last edited by CamRen; 10-16-04 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-17-04, 09:49 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

no one has any idea ??
Old 10-17-04, 09:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Sorry Camren, just saw this post.

I suspect they wired the speed sensor incorrectly - it took my guys three tries and a few hours on the phone with Eclipse to get it right. When it was't hooked up right the Nav would route, but didn't tell me turn-by-turn voice instructions.

Eclipse books were wrong on what wires to tap for the GS - I'm hoping that they updated their stuff after my guys worked with them.

BTW, my nav sensor is on my front dash and I have had absolutely no problems with reception.
Old 10-17-04, 09:55 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

If your install guys think that's the problem too, I can try to put them in touch with my installers to see if they remember the final solution.

DO you have a message upon startup that mention something about 'speed senor' briefly?
Old 10-17-04, 10:05 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Thats what i suspected! ....

i didnt see any brief insructions on anything about speed sensors ....

if you can see if your installers found out The Fix for the speed sensor wire placement because i dont know ALOT about electronics... but i know a little bit... and from what i notice.... i think they did wire the speed pluse wire in the wrong place (im guessing they hooked it up to idel wire?)

Dave if you would do me this favor by asking your install guys if they remember the solution on it!

what sucks is that when i got it installed... it was a very good class audio shop..... but they werent
eclipse authorized dealers they built my box, installed all the Tv's Etc... and installed this eclipse head unit...

i just wanna have a solution to give them when i get there so they can just rewire that speed pulse ...... Or ... if you can ... look behind your gauge cluster... and see where that pulse wire is pluged.... If you can do that.. and let me knwo exactly ... where it is... (maybe a pic? i know im asking for too much sorri!) but if that way ... i can pull a DYI and do it my self...

Thanks dave!!

Last edited by CamRen; 10-17-04 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-18-04, 12:29 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Eclipse books were wrong on what wires to tap for the GS - I'm hoping that they updated their stuff after my guys worked with them.
After this statement Dave, I'd like to know too. My unit has been in my office for 2 months. I've been too busy to deal with it but I'm sure I don't have any updated installs.
Old 10-18-04, 05:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I'll give the guys at Tweeter a call today and find out. They were Eclipse installers (but Tweeter dropped the line just after I got mine). You guys know for parts of the warranty you need to have it installed at an approved Eclipse dealer?

Camren, I'm not the right guy to go snooping around behind my gauge cluster (plus a bit time challenged this week). Our best bet is to get the installer guys speaking with each other and document the results for anybody else that plugs it in.

Do you know if your installer called Eclipse for help at all?
Old 10-18-04, 10:13 AM
mart
Driver School Candidate

Try this site, may not be right but it gives you somewhere to start

speedpulse info
Old 10-18-04, 05:38 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

I'll give the guys at Tweeter a call today and find out. They were Eclipse installers (but Tweeter dropped the line just after I got mine). You guys know for parts of the warranty you need to have it installed at an approved Eclipse dealer?

Camren, I'm not the right guy to go snooping around behind my gauge cluster (plus a bit time challenged this week). Our best bet is to get the installer guys speaking with each other and document the results for anybody else that plugs it in.

Do you know if your installer called Eclipse for help at all?

Damn.... so what did i void on my warrenty now? sence it wasnt installed by a eclipse dealer??

i doubt my guys called eclipse @ all to ask any questions...

Thanks for the help dave! i hope i get this thing corrected...
Old 10-18-04, 08:30 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camren, I almost hit the floor when I read that they mounted the GPS sensor outside of the car. What the hell were they thinking? Your front windshield is large enough to obtain a full signal, so mounting it on the front dash is a perfect spot for it. Your sensor needs to be placed in the center of the dash for full strength. If you mount the sensor on either side of the windshield, you will get poor reception due to the slight curve in the windshield. I'm not even positve if your sensor is even weather proof. It's meant to be mounted inside the car...

Dave is correct regrading the wiring of the speed sensor. They must have tapped into something different. For the GS300, I know the speed sensor wired is located in the ecu inside the engine bay. See if they have a wire running through your firewall into your ECU... Although I'm running a Pioneer Nav, I'm sure the wiring setup is almost the same. Good luck bro
Old 10-18-04, 09:23 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

they tapped into sumthing behind the gauge cluster....
Old 10-21-04, 09:26 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by CamRen
they tapped into sumthing behind the gauge cluster....
Camren,

I spoke briefly with the installer yesterday, he's willing when I pull mine in next for some tuning to pop open the gauge cluster (which is where he also tapped my speed wire) and look for the correct hookup if you don't have this figured out by then.

He didn't remember the exact wire, but he did recall that the Eclipse instructions were to tap a wire that was X color in X position. One problem was that the connector the wires went into had two rows.... the X color wire in the X position was the same both from the top row on the left and the bottom row on the right, and the instructions didn't specify.
Old 10-21-04, 09:31 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I spoke briefly with the installer yesterday, he's willing when I pull mine in next for some tuning to pop open the gauge cluster (which is where he also tapped my speed wire) and look for the correct hookup if you don't have this figured out by then.
I think this info would be helpful to have around, either from CamRen or you.
Old 10-22-04, 11:56 AM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Ok guys...

Good news!

the installer figured out exactly where to tap the speed pulse wire.. took him an hour or so... but he got it done..

Navi works Perfectly now!

im free on sunday so ill take the gauge cluster out.. and take some pics as where to tap the speed pulse wire .... dave mayb you can sticky that later ... for future refrence..

Btw... Dave thanks for all you help looking into this matter bro!

thanks

kam

Last edited by CamRen; 10-22-04 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-23-04, 09:35 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

man im hoping for my bday i get this HU..... crossing fingers..

Quick Reply: PROBLEM WITH NAVIGATION!?!? it says im moving when im idael ! HELP >>> DAVE? anyone?