SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

new leather

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-05, 03:05 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts
Default new leather

i was in the last group buy and i was wondering if anyone recieved their leather seats today because i did.
Old 03-21-05, 11:44 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet. I'm still waiting patiently, as hard as it is. How did yours turn out?
Old 03-22-05, 02:41 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Received it today. Looks pretty good. Started on the headrests, will do the rest this weekend.
Old 03-22-05, 06:38 AM
inovashn
Intermediate

havent started on mine yet. still trying to do some interior mods. don't want to risk messing up the new leather. i'll keep ya posted when its done
Old 03-22-05, 02:37 PM
Renaldo
Driver School Candidate

My order was given to UPS on Monday in Oklahoma City and I should receive it in NorCal on Friday. It'd be cool if I can install it all before Easter.
Old 03-22-05, 03:42 PM
ken
Driver School Candidate

Default leather seats

I recieved mine on Friday they are't in yet,but they look great.
Old 03-28-05, 08:54 AM
sightdev
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default installed

I have received mine on Friday and started the installation that night. Total hours took = 10 hours which included interior cleaning. I ordered the basic with two tones.

- BAD

Quality overall was average. I had four places where the thread didn’t close correctly so the string started to run. I used a staple to hold the thread from coming loose anymore than it already has. This is in the inside and not the thread around the surface so this should not affect the surface display.

More vinyl that I expected. Rear seat is all vinyl except for the insert.

Back piece for the rear seat, inner line didn’t line up correctly with the groove in the cushion so I had to do some serious pulling and adjusting to get the clip on. When I measured the length to the original, it was off by almost an inch. So now I have the dreaded wrinkle. I am hoping the summer sun will stretch the vinyl to smooth out the wrinkles.

Difference of the shade of the vinyl and leather is very noticeable.

-GOOD

New feels good and it made the seat noticeably firmer giving it a new seat feel. Front seat came out perfect with zero wrinkles.

Two tones option was a good choice for me as it made it little sportier with good match to the original panel colors.

It was a nice surprise to see an armrest cover included with the order. I have to figure out how to remove it so I need your input on how to remove the armrest.

-Recommendation

Think about what you want the finish product should look like. This is important because I kind of hesitated to peel off the original leather from the back and passenger seats. I had a small tear on the driver side seat where it gets all the wear and tear. If I had to do it over, I would have price the original replacement for just the driver seat.

I have done the Katzkin leather for a Miata I had while back but they don’t have a template for SC. So if you out to get a cover for SC from leatherseats.com, pay a little more and get the option to add more leather as this should really transform the overall feel and display.

It was a good bonding relationship with a car and brings new life to the car. I ended with broken clip removing the back panel of the front seat so advice is that you push in and down to safely remove the back panel. This is after you have removed the two screws from the bottom and the side clip removed by pushing the panel and pulling apart the side away from the seat.

Only other tricky part is removing the front bottom cushion. Four screws on four corners hold the cushion in place. To get to the back screws, the seat has to be adjusted slightly in up position. Rest is straight forward.

Invest in good work glove (one with the rubber surface would be a good idea), razor blade (few cutting and trimming), and medium size cutter to remove the clips, marker, and both screw drivers. Some imagination is requiring since the front bottom cushions have the plastic clip on strip to clip on to the metal frame. Not sure why this was changed from the original clip on style but I did some lot of trimming of the plastic and small screws to hold it in its place (over cautious?).

Overall, thumbs up and I will post a pic as soon as I get'em out of the camera.
Old 03-29-05, 02:24 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

like to see some pics, but my main question is did you order in the same group buy as everyone else. if so did i got screwed over. i had to pay a 100 extra for the armrests, and you said they came with it. maybe i misunderstood. i don't know. good job on the install, the sun and heat should take out some slack.

Last edited by inovashn; 03-29-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 02:39 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

I believe he is talking about the center armrest which is included. Cool

Last edited by V8RWDHP; 03-29-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 02:48 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

sorry. post edited. and yes i did get the center armrest included
Old 03-29-05, 06:03 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

Originally Posted by inovashn
like to see some pics
Finally got the pics out of the camera. Front seat came out nice as shown. I was on the most recent 'group buy' and I have decided on the buy because of the price and what I read on the forum from the previously experienced of the leatherseats.com. Most were happy but couldn’t find a detail installation or little ‘knowhow.’ I ended breaking the top brackets from the front seat back cover when I pulled too hard. It’s push and down movement after the bottom and the side is loosened. If you haven’t done this yet, expect some modification as the front replacement seat cover is different from original. Little creativity needed fitting the neck area of the headrest. There is a good illustration from two years ago in this forum. Few took a different route to clamp the loosened area. One can use that but will require little more work than I did. Once you get to this area, you will know what I am about to say. Original clip is a divided plastic with edge on the end so it will clip in to the slot. I just pulled plastic piece that came on the new leather all the way down and folded outward. It stays the way it is so I didn’t bother doing anything else to clamp it down. I also didn’t bother with the two rubber string because mine didn’t come with the hold-down piece (this would have been nice) like the other member did in the past illustration. Another recommendation is to start with the front seats first as they are much easier than the back seats. Another note, four bolts that holds the bottom seat must be moved. Four screws are located on the four corners. To reach the rear bolts, seat needs to be raised a little. First one I had to re-plug the seat to raise the seat. Expect to spend 8-10 hours.

I wonder we can get ‘group-by’ for steering wheel. One of the most recent pictures from the forum member sure does look nice. $600 a piece so if we can bring the price down to $500, I may consider.

Have fun installing and expect ‘no pain no gain' and don't forget to post the finish work. Picture attached is little dark but very shiny because of the leather treatment I put on,
Attached Images  

Last edited by sightdev; 03-29-05 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-29-05, 07:20 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

nice pics so far. i got grey with black inserts. can't wait to put them in. probally will tackle it this coming week. i worked on the ls brakes today and don't want to do everything all at once, it kind of takes away from the modding craze
Old 03-29-05, 07:44 PM
sightdev
Intermediate

pics of the center armrest. wrinkles so I will have to redo it at later time. I found the screws that holds the container in place. Three screws under the carpet will allow popout of the whole container.
Attached Thumbnails new leather-arm_finished.gif  
Old 03-29-05, 08:43 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alittle Info

The 2000 SC300/400 service manuals have detailed instructions on replacing the leather including disassembly of the seats.

gadgetSC-t