ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2000 ES300 wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 06:27 AM
Italiaguy2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ES300 wind noise

Hello everyone, I am new here and new to my car. 2000 es300 platninum edition. Love the car except for one thing. When i hit the highway, i get some wind noise comming through the front windows it seems. any one else have this issue?? I was thinking about replacing the weatherstrip rubber on the doors, but was wondering if anyone else had this problem????? Do not want to spend any money that i do not have to. Thanks !!!!!
Old 10-30-05, 07:46 AM
hottness
Rookie

Originally Posted by Italiaguy2
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to my car. 2000 es300 platninum edition. Love the car except for one thing. When i hit the highway, i get some wind noise comming through the front windows it seems. any one else have this issue?? I was thinking about replacing the weatherstrip rubber on the doors, but was wondering if anyone else had this problem????? Do not want to spend any money that i do not have to. Thanks !!!!!
I'm told that's part of a defective design on the ES, before '01. I'm told that even if you replace the strip around the windows, you'll be facing the problem again anyway.
Old 10-30-05, 10:21 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it's safe to say that anyone who has owned a '92-'01 ES has more than likely encountered this problem due to the design of the frame-less window. I asked the service dept from a Lexus dealership one time about replacing the rubber gasket on the windows, and the service advisor told me it's about $85 per gasket part. IMO it's not worth it to replace the part since the wind noise will probably occur again.
Old 10-30-05, 11:18 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

I've never heard anything, even grossly exceeding highway speed.
Maybe yall should keep your gaskets in good shape & check how they're sealing?
Old 10-30-05, 01:49 PM
marcmindte
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did was tint my side windows. That did it for me. I would also get wind noise above 40mph, and the tint cured it.

BUT... then Mr. Officer of the Law sited me for too dark tint. When I removed it, the noise came back. So dont tint it too dark.

Good luck
Old 10-30-05, 06:27 PM
Italiaguy2
Driver School Candidate

seems weird that wind noise would occur unless the gaskets were crushed a bit, has anyone replaced the gaskets and cured the problem for even a short time?????
Old 10-30-05, 07:41 PM
Stub333
Driver

Mine does it too, all rubber and gaskets are mint. I immediately noticed it the first day I drove the car home...it has to be a design flaw, related to the framless windows.
Old 10-30-05, 07:51 PM
Italiaguy2
Driver School Candidate

the crazy part is my 2001 dodge stratus with frameless windows made less noise than the lexus. I still like the car, rides good, I am just determined to fix the wind noise. Anyone else have any suggestions?????
Old 10-31-05, 10:04 PM
stacked14
Driver School Candidate

yeap same here i have the same problem.. i have a 2001 and all the rubber and gaskets are in good condition... i have suggestion but like me i dnt like to have all this stuff on my car.. i was thinking if u buy those rain/wind guard that goes on the door.. not really sure how it would work cuz the door doesnt have a frame along the window.. jst a suggestion............. but for me im A ok with my car and loves it!
Old 11-01-05, 06:49 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marcmindte
What I did was tint my side windows. That did it for me. I would also get wind noise above 40mph, and the tint cured it.

BUT... then Mr. Officer of the Law sited me for too dark tint. When I removed it, the noise came back. So dont tint it too dark.

Good luck

tint cures the problem

I guess there is your answer
Old 11-01-05, 08:10 AM
IS0LD0UT
Lead Lap

I had this problem on my 2000 ES. As you guys said it is due to the frameless windows. The dealer can do some adjustments to the door and window to make it push against the seal better.
Old 11-01-05, 08:42 AM
csaxon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I don't have the reference for this article. It's a few years old.

It didn't take Toyota long to come up with remedies for the wind noise problem--a new design glass run and window regulator

The new glass run is a one piece design instead of the original's two pieces, the redesigned window regulator uses stiffer upper and lower arms, to help hold the window tighter against the run.

If you want to tackle the job, here are the parts you will need:
Glass run for driver door..68151-33062, Glass run front passanger door..68141-33072, Window regulator for driver door..69802-33060, Window regulator for front passanger door..69801-33050.
Old 11-26-05, 04:07 PM
badgis
Driver School Candidate

Default Framless windows

I have the same problem with my 2003 Diamante. It has framless windows and i get quite a bit of wind noise at highway speed. Had the windows adjusted several times and the noise always comes back. Thats why i sold the car and purchased the 2006 es.
Old 11-27-05, 08:21 PM
knight1987
Driver School Candidate

I own a 92 and I have the same problem. Mine is not that bad but it was especially noticeable today in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area with like 40mph winds.
Old 12-02-05, 06:14 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Italiaguy2
the crazy part is my 2001 dodge stratus with frameless windows made less noise than the lexus. I still like the car, rides good, I am just determined to fix the wind noise. Anyone else have any suggestions?????
I previously owned a 99 ES and had the same problem. Shortly before I sold the car in 2004, I told Lexus about it, and the chief service tech told me that he had figured out a solution. Now, I didn't let him do this to my car (even though he offered), but what he said that he normally does for ES owners who complain is to forcefully bend the plastic triangular looking trim that holds the side view mirror in towards the cabin of the car. By pushing the trim in towards the cabin, the window will be held firmer against the weather stripping. I'm not sure this will work, but this was his solution. Hope this helps.

e

Quick Reply: 2000 ES300 wind noise