IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Test drove IS350 and BMW 330i (yes again!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-05, 11:39 AM
Xs2kGuy714
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove IS350 and BMW 330i (yes again!!!)

Yes another one, just want to share my opinion since I was torn between these two choices like many of you.

First, test drove the IS350. A much better upgrade from the old IS300. In drive mode, power is smooth and pull very strong. In Sport, what's with all the marketing and hype about the fastest automatic shift, bunch of bs. There's definite about a 1-2s delay before the next gear is selected. From the inside, the seats are very cushy, quiet and that's something I am looking fore coming from as S2K. The steering wheel is too soft. Like very thing about the car, interior and exterior, except for the shift delay and the soft steering feel. So I went home, search and got a very good offer. $2K above invoice for IS350 White with FT, PT, and NV. I wanted $1K above, but I am sure $1.5K is going to be accepted once I presented the check book.

Fastforward about a week a later and with my check book with me, I was going the the Lexus dealer with the intension to buy. I detour my route a bit for an insanity check. I decided to check out couple of other cars before making my decision. Test drove a Acura TL. Very nice package and great value but it doesn't stir me up. Now comes the IS350 main competitor. I headed to Crevier BMW (in Santa Ana). Mind you I am only 24 but looks like 20, you all know asian guy looking younger for his age, but was treated with courtesy.

1. 330i non-Sport. Smooth, quiet, not as quiet as the IS350 but it is expected. Somehow the German car feel much more solid and Japanese car. For example, closing the door on the 330i, it makes a solid "thud" compare to the IS350. Seats are not "cushy" as in the IS. Power is surprising close to the IS350 after reading all published numbers. IS350 is stronger coming out of a hole. Acceration is very close to IS350. Somehow German horses seem stronger than Japanese horses since 330i is rated at 255 hp white IS350 is 306 hp. I expected the bimmer is a dog compared to the IS but it wasn't, surprising close.

I wanted to test drive the 330i with Sport Package, but there were non on the lot. He told me he has to go to inventory and get it for me. I told him I am going to Lexus to retest the IS350 and be back in an hour.

2. IS350. Power is good and the seats are cushy just as expected. But there was too much body roll when I take is thru some curves. The steering is too loose. This car doesnot inspire much confidence after driving the bimmer. The car seems suited more for a fity year old man or a girl, , than a mid-20 guys. IS350 was very comfortable but it doesn't stir my blood.

Going back to BMW dealer

2. 330i with Sport package. The Tiptronic, in my mind, works much better than the IS350 padder shifter evenwhen I love the idea of padder shifter. The delay is much shorter as I was able to shift at or near redline everytime. "Oh, what a machine" is one of the quote from Car and Driver if I remember correctly. Man this thing is a blast to drive. The saleman told me to push thru curvy roads and also to brake hard on straight to feel the braking power. Man this car handle as good or almost as good as my 04 S2K. The steering feel, the precision, the solidness, WOW is all I can say. The ride is still surpsingly comfortable even with SP. I've placed my order the same day. Wanted $500 above invoice, but only got $1k above. They wanted to charge me $125 for the mats, this pissed me off inside since I hav to pay for mats with this car caliber (I got the mats after negotiation).

Also tested the 325i, but I save that for later if anyone want to know.

Conclusion: IS350 is a very good car and overall package. But if you like to drive, or a bit of an "enthusiast" and I bet most of people here are, you owe it to yourself to test drive the Bimmer 330i with and without SP before you buy your IS350. D@mn I sound like a BMW fanboi eventhough I was a huge skeptic before.

Last edited by Xs2kGuy714; 12-14-05 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 11:47 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Read the car and driver comparison.

Not on this planet. In reality the acceleration numbers are really far apart with about 1 second difference between them to 60 mph and it even grows more to the quartermile where IS350 breaks the 13s (13.7) while 330i barely breaks into the 14 (around 14.8 secs). On a drag strip, there will be a comfortable 6-7 car's length difference between the two. It is one to "feel" acceleration and it is quite another to actually be going fast and not feeling it as much. It is almost undisputed and unchallenged that the IS350 will blow the doors off of the 330i in any acceleration test and that is what reality dictates. That is comparing a manual 330i with auto IS350. Let's not even bother comparing auto to auto.

Handling wise, 330i takes the cake.

Originally Posted by Xs2kGuy714
Acceration is very close to IS350. Somehow German horses seem stronger than Japanese horses since 330i is rated at 255 hp white IS350 is 306 hp. I expected the bimmer is a dog compared to the IS but it wasn't, surprising close.

I wanted to test drive the 330i with Sport Package, but there were non on the lot. He told me he has to go to inventory and get it for me. I told him I am going to Lexus to retest the IS350 and be back in an hour.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 12-14-05 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-14-05, 12:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Read the car and driver comparison.

Not on this planet. In reality the acceleration numbers are really far apart with about 1 second difference between them to 60 mph and it even grows more to the quartermile where IS350 breaks the 13s (13.7) while 330i barely breaks into the 14 (around 14.8 secs). On a drag strip, there will be a comfortable 6-7 car's length difference between the two. It is one to "feel" acceleration and it is quite another to actually be going fast and not feeling it as much. It is almost undisputed and unchallenged that the IS350 will blow the doors off of the 330i in any acceleration test and that is what reality dictates. That is comparing a manual 330i with auto IS350. Let's not even bother comparing auto to auto.

Handling wise, 330i takes the cake.
Exactly. "Feeling" that you're going fast, and ACTUALLY going fast are two different things.

I can "feel" that I'm going 100 km/h in a Civic, when I really only go 60

I remember being in my friend's ES, and he pushed it to 150 km/h, but the car felt so smooth and stable, it felt like we were going only 100 km/h.

And as for handling, BMW better be worried, because the secret is out know for IS350 owners on how to disable VDIM/VSC, and those who've tested it disabled say the handling becomes crisper, steering is crisper, and power no longer gets cut out. I even read that burnouts are easily done
Old 12-14-05, 12:23 PM
nois3504me
Rookie

Well i hope you like your 330I. the car actually looks nice imho. quick question though, when you test drove the IS350 was it a Sport or regular? I think it does make a difference in the handling department. but i dunno, never drove the other one.
Old 12-14-05, 12:43 PM
Xs2kGuy714
Driver School Candidate

I test drove the IS350 non-Sport package since the Sport package wan't available. I really like the IS350, and was this II close to buying it.

Originally Posted by nois3504me
Well i hope you like your 330I. the car actually looks nice imho. quick question though, when you test drove the IS350 was it a Sport or regular? I think it does make a difference in the handling department. but i dunno, never drove the other one.
Old 12-14-05, 02:22 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Exactly. "Feeling" that you're going fast, and ACTUALLY going fast are two different things.

I remember being in my friend's ES, and he pushed it to 150 km/h, but the car felt so smooth and stable, it felt like we were going only 100 km/h.

And as for handling, BMW better be worried, because the secret is out know for IS350 owners on how to disable VDIM/VSC, and those who've tested it disabled say the handling becomes crisper, steering is crisper, and power no longer gets cut out. I even read that burnouts are easily done
I felt that both cars easily had more than enough power for normal driving. Unless you go to the track a lot or *really* like to floor it coming out of toll booths, I don't think you will push either car enough to notice the difference much in daily driving. How many 0-60 runs do you do in normal life? I don't do that many.

But, I chose the IS350 because I thought it had the edge in a number of other areas, including exterior styling, interior styling (this one was a big one, really disliked the 06 330i interior), ease of controls, quality of nav system. Plus reliability was a big one for me too. Even with the BMW's free maintenance, I have much more confidence that the Lexus will work correctly, every time I start it up. Very important for me.
Old 12-14-05, 03:20 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A really good and un-bias review.
Enjoy while it last. And remember to save some $$$ after 4 years because u will have a lot of electrical problems ahead
Old 12-14-05, 03:53 PM
4CYLNDR
Driver

Originally Posted by tim817
A really good and un-bias review.
Enjoy while it last. And remember to save some $$$ after 4 years because u will have a lot of electrical problems ahead
+1

Great review.

Sounds like the car i'm looking for. I need to replace the evo with a car that my girlfriend would want to drive, and old people wouldn't mind sitting in, and the lexus sounds like just the car. lol.

The girlfriend is taking the car when she gets outta law school . . . and i'll be taking a look at those new skylines. Hopefully by then, the Lexus will make me want a performance car again.
Old 12-14-05, 03:55 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

another s2k owner here huh??

i have s2k and just got the IS350. not feeling for german cars cuz all my friend's German car has some sort of small problemsssss.

a lot of my friends and family members also have lexus and all say NO to problems.

i want to be inside a car and not to think about problems..
Old 12-14-05, 04:09 PM
Xs2kGuy714
Driver School Candidate

Can IS350 owners chime in why you guys chose the IS350 over the Bimmer and vice versa? Have you IS350 onwners even test driven the 06 330i? Please chime in your impression.

Reliability is a big concern for me, but do you guys actually think there's a 4 year timer built in the Bimmer and start clicking down the day it leaves the lot and all hell break loose after 4 years. I think most people would be bored of the car they drive after 4 years anyway. 4 years free maintenance is a big plus for the Bimmer.

I didn't not disable the VDIM when test driving the Lexus. Please post your impression after VDIM is disable. Is steering feel and shift time response improve? Those two major drawbacks of IS350 vs 330i. I've made my deposit for the 330i but can withdraw. My gf loves the IS350 and discourage me getting 330i. Help!!!
Old 12-14-05, 04:14 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is a reason that they have 4 years free maintenance cuz they know that their car have problems. i like the bimmer. if i would lease one i would get bimmer. but long time keep then Jap for me would be the way to go.

you have s2k already .. why do you want another car to hand when it's not build to handle??
Old 12-14-05, 04:18 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Just wait till it breaks though.........

Maybe we are an isolated case, but BMW NA treated us like a redheaded step child asking for money when our headlights broke for the 4th time and wouldn't work.......... We played back and fourth with them, but ultimately, they said go fly a kite, so we sued. Were about to settle with them after a year of legal wrangling......they have agreed on a buyback of this POS 330i, before it heads to court......they know they were going to loose, so in the end, I'm sure it's cheaper to settle then go to court. I think they just wanted to see if we would go away or if we were in it for the long haul........

Bottom line, is that BMW is a crappy company and their dealerships never treated us like BMW owners. I thought $42k for a car bought me a little better service..........I guess I've learned my lesson.

Sure do like the looks of the E90's though.
Old 12-14-05, 04:28 PM
tim817
Intermediate

The main thing that made me want to get the IS350 is its look. Then the 306hp, smart acess, nice navigation system, more cushion seat. Trust me, i was one who was waiting a year for the new 3 series to come out. And the day that me and my wife came to the dealer, we were so damn disapointed on how the new 3 series look, specialy the rear look. It's just something about their design nowaday that make them not the way BMW used to be. I love BMW, they're great cars.. Actually i've been waiting for the new redesign X5 to come out . I didn't really like Lexus much, their car just too old and boring to me....In 2001 when the IS300 just came out , i would chose even the 325 over any IS300 anyday ....But all that change in 1 day i was just stop by a Lexus dealer to have a peek just for fun at the IS350 on the way home from the mall. Since then, i'm in love with it................I'm picking my IS350 up tomorrow, it arrived today at the dealer and waiting for an free tint early tomorrow morning...after 2 long weeks waiting and waiting
Old 12-14-05, 04:31 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

okay, how do you disable the VDIM/VSC?
Old 12-14-05, 04:37 PM
tim817
Intermediate

oh , 1 more thing... BMW will give u a POS rental car or loaner... Being a BMW X5 owner i can tell u Lexus customer service is way better.... They even gave me a BRAND NEW ES330 because my car arrive 1 week later than promised. I had fun driving hard with that car too..lol.. Last time i brought my bmw in for warranty service ( the damn window keep breaking down ) they wouldn't even let me have a POS loaner??? and forgot to wash my car also... Here in DFW u can get free car wash anytime from lexus if ur car is 2005 and newer...

Quick Reply: Test drove IS350 and BMW 330i (yes again!!!)