SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New to site. Help on 3rd (center) brake light out

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-05, 12:46 PM
cip
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to site. Help on 3rd (center) brake light out

Hi all. I'm finally back in an SC 400. I had a 92 SC400...totalled it....now I picked up a 96 SC400 Platinum w/ 92K mi. Your site helped me make the decision to get another one. BTW if anyone has a 92 SC400 Pearl White, my VIN was 0005231 so if that's your VIN it was totalled in 1998

And yes, I did search for help on the tail light (center on the spoiler) first. Thanks!

Last edited by cip; 03-16-06 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-22-05, 12:49 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome cip. Not to sound simple, but did you check the bulb?
Old 12-22-05, 12:52 PM
cip
Pole Position

IT's the center mount on the spoiler so it's not just 1 bulb..I'm not 100% sure how to even get to it! I guess pull the trunk lining down...
Old 12-22-05, 01:04 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cip
IT's the center mount on the spoiler so it's not just 1 bulb..I'm not 100% sure how to even get to it! I guess pull the trunk lining down...

I don't believe so, as the spoiler is a removable piece. There is no "opening" in the body of the trunklid where the spoiler sits. I believe the cover to the 3rd light can be removed and access to the bulbs is straight through the front.
Old 12-22-05, 01:10 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Spoiler Stop Light

Originally Posted by cip
Remove trunk door lining just pop the plastic clips.
Unplug connector
5 nuts mount the spoiler.
Remove spoiler
3 screws hold the LED Bar Light to the spoiler.

I would guess that your problem is probably in the connector, highly unlikely that all the LEDs burned out.
Inspect the connector for corrosion that is probably where your problem is.

Rob
Old 12-22-05, 01:19 PM
cip
Pole Position

Thank you!!! I swear you guys are GREAT on this site!!! I will post pic's of my new baby (and sadly my old baby) after my wife opens her new Nikon 4600 camera this weekend I get a new toy she gets new toy!!!...got to keep thinkgs fair right
Old 12-22-05, 01:52 PM
93SC4_Mike
Driver School Candidate

Do as Setwire says above, but also remove the cover (the one that has vents) that hides the gas tank. You do this by removing the two plastic clips, at the bottom of the cover, and pull rearwards on the top of it. Then trace the wires from the spoiler, to the connnector, through the trunk support to the rear seat. Where the wire exits the passenger side trunk support, you will find a broken wire. You may have to cut a few inches of the wire protector cover to find the break. Fix the wire and the spoiler brake light will work.

This wire is a couple of inches too short. It flexes from the opening and closing of the trunk and eventually breaks. When you fix the break, I recommend that you splice in an extra four or five inches of wire and you'll never have this problem again.

Last edited by 93SC4_Mike; 12-22-05 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-22-05, 02:43 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

WELCOME, I'd guess the connector also, but use a voltmeter and a friend pushing the brake to make sure you have power there at the connector.
Old 12-23-05, 01:41 PM
cip
Pole Position

thanks again all. Yes, I did find the wire to be spliced down by the trunk support...but naturally I can't find the other end (by the passenger compartment) I'll look for that tomorrow.

BTW if your stock chrome exhaust tips are grungy steel wool works very well to bring back the shine. Just use some chrome polish after & it looks great.
Old 02-17-06, 06:51 PM
cip
Pole Position

Default A little more help on 3rd brake light, pls

Hey guys I'm bringing this thread back b/c I finally had time to take out the back seat & dig for the 3rd brake light wire. Well I still cannot find the other end!!. I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get the right power to this thing.

Here's a pic of the break. This is on the pass side trunk support... I can't find how to upload more than 1 file, so this will be multi-posts (sorry)
Attached Thumbnails New to site. Help on 3rd (center) brake light out-spliced-wires.jpg  
Old 02-17-06, 06:53 PM
cip
Pole Position

and here's the other end above pass. rear deck..no other wires to be found
Attached Thumbnails New to site. Help on 3rd (center) brake light out-pass-spkr.jpg  
Old 02-17-06, 06:54 PM
cip
Pole Position

same area but zoomed out a bit.
Attached Thumbnails New to site. Help on 3rd (center) brake light out-pass-rear.jpg  
Old 02-17-06, 06:56 PM
cip
Pole Position

I tried to pull the brake light connector to get 12V from the pass rear connector. I was getting 12V @ the splice, but no go.. Is the 3rd brake light (on the wing) supposed to have a diff voltage??
below is the connector:
Attached Thumbnails New to site. Help on 3rd (center) brake light out-rt-rear-brake.jpg  
Old 02-17-06, 06:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Look in the loom and find the matching wires. If there are not any, this car did not come with a spoiler light and we'll go from there on instructions to tap a brake light.

Those cut wires did not just disappear.
Old 02-17-06, 07:07 PM
cip
Pole Position

Seriously?? Which one? If you look @ the pic, the looms (in trunk or back seat) look stock. I mean I know it's just electrical tape to cover it up....OK, I'll go back to the drawing board again.

Part of my problem is that I don't know if this might have connected to the looms noted above or the one that goes to the drivers side near the rear deck
(it looks like speaker stuff only..but )

Do you know where the other end of the trunk support goes? If not should it take 12V?

Thanks Brian

Quick Reply: New to site. Help on 3rd (center) brake light out