Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 03:06 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clay Bar

I've read a lot about clay bars on this forum and I want to start using one. Where do you buy clay bars? I'm interested in buying just the clay bars themselves, not in kits. What stores sell them? Are any particular brands better than others?

My car is a 1996 that I just bought. Should I use any sort of paint cleaner or something first before I clay my car?

Last edited by skiptomylo; 05-07-06 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-04-06, 04:08 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=Z-18

zaino = awesome for detailing
Old 05-04-06, 04:15 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

Would any Brick and mortar stores have them? I don't like having to pay for shipping and waiting.
Old 05-04-06, 04:26 PM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats, using a clay bar is the best tool you can use to clean and prep your paint for a wax or polish. It will remove tar, bugs, and any other crap on your paint. You can buy clay bars at Pepboys, Autozone, or any other auto store. There are many online places too. I don't think the actual brand makes much of a difference. I think clay is clay and it's not that important. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I've only used 2 different kinds. I currently use one made by Zaino because I use there other products also. They make a whole line of detail products and are an online store only. Great stuff, do a search for Zaino on the detail forum and you will find a million posts and pictures. When you slide your hand across your paint especially on the lower parts of your car I bet it is bumpy. Even after you wash it. The clay bar cleaning will make it feel like glass. I only do my car once a year in the spring and it takes about 1-1/2 hours doing every inch of my car. Here is the instructions from the Zaino website. Good luck!

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Before using a Z-18 ClayBar™ on your car, you must thoroughly clean and dry your car to remove any loose dirt. Direct sunlight should not fall on your car's surface, and it's best if the work area is relatively cool to prevent rapid evaporation of the clay lubricant. Do not risk scratching your car; if you drop your clay bar, throw it away!

To use Z-18 ClayBar™, you spray a water-based lubricant on a small area of your car and rub the bar back and forth with light to medium pressure. If the lubricant begins to dry, you'll need to spray more. Z-18 is fairly sticky, and cannot be used dry. If you try using it dry, you'll make a big mess. We suggest mixing one cap full of Z-7 Show Car Wash with water in a 16 ounce spray bottle. Z-6 also works as a lubricant for Z-18 ClayBar, but Z-7 Show Car Wash is much more cost effective.

After a few passes with the Z-18 ClayBar™, rub your hand over the area to feel if the surface contamination was removed. Keep rubbing until all contamination bumps are gone. Finally, wipe the clay residue off with a soft terrycloth towel, and buff to a nice luster. Just like polishing with Zaino Show Car Polish, work in small areas.

Check your Z-18 ClayBar frequently for hard particles. When found, pick them off. Make it a habit to occasionally knead and reform the bar so that a fresh portion of the bar contacts your car's paint. If you drop your bar of clay on the ground, it's history. Toss it out. Don't take any chances, discard the clay bar if it becomes impregnated with grit.

Do not overuse. A single bar will do 3-4 medium size cars with moderate contamination. If you are removing heavy overspray or rail dust, use the bar once and throw it away.

When you're finished claying your car, you should wash it with Z-7 Show Car Wash to remove the lubricant film. Finally, seal your freshly cleaned paint with your choice of Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes, Z-3 Show Car Polish for Non-clear Coated Paint, or Z-5 Show Car Polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches.
Old 05-04-06, 04:52 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

Thanks for the great response. I do have another question.

My car is a 1996 that I just bought. Should I use any sort of paint cleaner or something first before I clay my car?
Old 05-04-06, 06:24 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Most clay bars are almost the same, the Meguiars or Mothers ones are pretty good.

It's recommended to do a car wash first to loosen or clean out most of the dirt. Then the clay bar can remove all the small particles for a smooth feel. Use plenty of lubricant and do not use if dropped. Try to work on a seciton at a time, ie a door panel or an area. If you see it getting dirty, just roll it up into a ball and flatten it out. Once it's too dirty to be used anymore, I use it on windows.
Old 05-04-06, 07:31 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 403 Likes on 280 Posts

Pep Boys, Napa, Autozone, etc. will ALL carry claybar kits by Mothers/Meguiars.
Old 05-04-06, 09:00 PM
hguy4x
Driver

Just go to Kragens or autozone or some place like that. They sell claybar kits (clay bar and a clay lube usually its a quick detail). Just make sure you DON'T drop the clay bar on the ground. It'll be unusable once that happens.

Wash the car first and then dry it. Then spray the lube on to the car and rub the clay back and forth. then buff out the lube and move on to the next area. Once it gets dirty roll it into a ball and flatten it out again and use it the same.

The clay should grab at first and then it'll become slick.
Old 05-04-06, 10:41 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

FWIW, most clay is made by the same manufacturer now (Clay Magic), so generally speaking just get what's available and at a reasonable price.
Old 05-05-06, 12:39 AM
skiptomylo
Driver

since my car is a little older, is there anything else I should to it before or after claying? I'd really liek to bring out the true color of it.
Old 05-05-06, 02:58 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skiptomylo
since my car is a little older, is there anything else I should to it before or after claying? I'd really liek to bring out the true color of it.
Wash the car. Then clay it. This is gonna clean your paint really good. Then put a coat or two of wax or polish and it will look 10 times better if you have never done this before.

What color is your car?
Old 05-05-06, 12:19 PM
skiptomylo
Driver

It's navy blue with gray bottom. I'm also gonna be using some Meguiars Scratch X on my car. Whould i do teh ScratchX before or after I clay?
Old 05-06-06, 02:33 AM
hguy4x
Driver

wash your car with some car wash concentrate/shampoo/etc first. then clay and then use scratch x to get rid of scratches. After that you could polish your car to get rid of swirls or you could go straight into wax/sealant.
Old 05-06-06, 11:56 AM
skiptomylo
Driver

Cool thanks for the tips. I picked up a clary bar kit from my local pep boys yesterday. I was just curious. If I don't want to purchase the whole kit next time, is there anywhere I can buy the Clay bars alone? I find it kind of ridiculous the markup of selling 2 or 3 items as a "complete detailing kit"
Old 05-07-06, 05:40 PM
shftup
Intermediate

i know that there are several types of clay bar from taking off a small amount of dirt to very aggressive bar.

Can anyone make a list of bars and their level of aggressiveness for us rookies.