NY FS: Custom quad 6.5" subwoofer box with subs for IS300

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 05:49 AM
removed
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default FS: Custom quad 6.5" subwoofer box with subs for IS300

I bought this box about 6 months ago and looking to get something smaller as I need trunk the space.

Here's a thread where ItalynStylion built the box.
http://my.is/forums/f103/box-im-building-member-398589/
I never posted any pictures, my bad I know. The only thing different from the pics in the thread is that I spray-painted black the exposed wood so that it wouldn't be visible through the speaker grills.

Now here are some facts that you need to know before buying it. I'm being as real as possible so you know what you sign up for.

Rear speakers will have to go. However there's about 2-3 inches between the box and stock speakers grill where you can install tweeters to "even out" the sound.
Torsion bars will need to go. You will need to figure out a custom solution using a hood shock. I can give you some tips.
The box essentially divides trunk in half. I'm using the rear part for "long-term" storage. Also you no longer will be able to open the trunk extension or whatever it's called.
It's suspended and being held on by combination of wood screws and bolts and nuts using stock holes from stock speaker in sheet metal. The metal is thin in that area but I'm using at least 8 screws so the weight is distributed evenly. In fact shortly after installing my car got broken into and thieves stole everything but the box. Instead they tore the woofers out of frustration.
Subs are 6.5" Tang Bands at 4ohm (can be wired at 8)
Parts-Express.com:Tang Band W6-1139SI 6-1/2" Subwoofer. As you see it's $200 only in subs alone so the price is good.
Each sub is 140W so I assume total power is 560W

To conclude this is not a "open the trunk, throw the box and roll" solution but a more permanent one. But what you gain is incredibly responsive bass. It's not "boomy" by any means and the sound pressure is incredible. Not to mention girls love to sit on the back seat now

I bought the box for $350 with subs. Will let it go for $300 shipped or $250 picked up. I'm in the Bronx, NY.

Yes I know my car is dirty

This is the hood shock that I use to prop the trunk, I believe it's a hood shock from 96 Camry, can give you part number if you need it. You can use both sides and then the trunk will pop up by itself, with single shock you have to start lift the trunk yourself, but then it opens by itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yssAfLysjHM
Video

PM here or call-text 347-560-3731

Last edited by removed; 05-15-10 at 05:58 AM.