ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

More Horsepower !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 06:31 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation More Horsepower !!

Ok i installed a Weapon R Secret Weapon Short Ram Intake on my 94 es300 and it gave me anywhere from 10 to 15 extra horsepower. but my question is, is there anything else i can do to the car besides getting custom-made parts that would increase my horsepower and torque? and does anyone know where i can get these parts?
Old 07-26-06, 12:11 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

how much did it cost you total?
Old 07-26-06, 05:19 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked on this product at Weapon-R: 1992-93 LEXUS ES300 V6 3.0L

Verrrrrrrrrrrry interesting. I'm trying to decipher how the SECRET WEAPON INTAKE SYSTEM (Part Number: 305-141; MSRP: $207) and the DRAGON INTAKE SYSTEM (Part Number: 805-141; MSRP: $128) relate to one another.

I would LOVE to begin modding my ES like I have all my other cars and bikes, but there's (seemingly) so little out there for it.

I'm also trying to reconcile this product with the fantastic post (The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd ) in which it's stated that:
Here's how to build the only intake that *actually* does something constructive
Is this a potential mod carrot being dangled before us that's ineffective in the real world?
Old 07-27-06, 12:33 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

the intake cost me about $200 total after shipping costs and i got it here : http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/w...intakes/lexus/ by the way i think this one is much better than the dragon intake, it sounds nicer and just performs better overall.
Old 07-29-06, 10:39 AM
DRFTKNG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try a grounding system or maybe do a full engine swap. my friend has a es300 with a 2jz swap.
Old 07-29-06, 01:01 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DRFTKNG
try a grounding system or maybe do a full engine swap. my friend has a es300 with a 2jz swap.
seriously? do you have any pics? seems like that's a huge waste since it's on a fwd car.
Old 07-31-06, 07:06 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

well im gonna be getting a custom exhaust system and some custom headers in a couple months, and i might try the grounding system, plus i want to replace all the spark plugs, but is there anything else i can do to increase HP? remember its a 94 ES300.
Old 07-31-06, 10:47 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

LMAO! Your friend does not have a 2jz anything in an ES300, or any other Camry platform.
For starters, the engine is far too tall for the stock hood, for seconds it is too long to fit between the transaxle, and the passanger wheel well period. Even after cutting out & re-bracing the wheel well, the 2jz wouldn't fit. It's too long.

A grounding system really isn't going to do anything on that engine. It's a wasted spark ignition. The stock spark is very, very strong. Maybe on an engine that has corroded every stock ground off of it.

You're really looking at doing some exhaust mods. Its all been said many times before. Y-pipe, high flow cat (or no cat with an o2 simulator if u dont' have emessions), a high flow resonator, and a good muffler.
From there... It gets relatively expencive with headwork, cams, or a turbo/supercharger. Unless you just feel like slapping a $450-550usd wet n2o kit on. Thats always the most cost effective way.

BTW header suck. $800-1200 for custom headers, and they don't provide the power a good y-pipe will make on stock headers. I could babble on about header design, but I don't feel like it today. The problem is that shorty headers are all you'll ever find, and you'll never talk someone into making a set of real long tube headers. Short headers simply don't work. btw, I wont say what the optimal header primary tube length on the 3vz-fe's & 1mz-fe's is, b/c I may yet make a set or two. I will say it is well over 3 feet long. *Noooobody* is ever gunna make u some that long b/c they'd never figure out how to merge them LoL!

Skip the headers. Just get a good y-pipe made & put on. It'll be better than the headers anyone will be able to make you without some serious fab on it.
Old 07-31-06, 11:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

These are some of the 1MZFE headers I have located. Megan Racing is still in prototype stage and the Xerds (well ask Solara owners on Solaraguy what happened there. )

JP Performance- http://www.jpperformancellc.com/camsolheaders.html
Megan Racing- http://community.webshots.com/album/548317051Anopjv
Xerd- http://community.webshots.com/album/81275001JjUuiM

My cousin has a 1995 VW Golf VR6, and the aftermarket headers do not do much and do not look much different over stock headers. So the issue with headers is not just a Lexus or Toyota issue.

For cost (based on what I have heard), I want to get the Megan Racing ones, but they will still be cut up and altered additionally by my exhaust shop down here for a turbo fitment, but still at a cheaper price than custom since stuff is much cheaper down here.
Old 07-31-06, 03:48 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

The Xerd ones are the only descent ones there.
JP, for the most part, doesn't supply us with anything. They use to make stuff for the v6's & the Camry i4's. Now they are fewer & farer between things, as they ahve dropped alot of things.
The Megan ones are better than the JP ones, but it's still a shorty header design that will not preform well at all. The only gains will be at the upper rpm band. Keep in mind alot of the gain from shorty headers comes from the new y-pipe commonly neede din the install.

Brad Bell http://bedellracing.home.comcast.net/ also makes 1mz-fe shorty headers. He makes misc parts for the MR2 guys in his spare time. Including a set of shorty 1mz headers that he plans to offer as a group buy (For mr2's which will require some sort of modification to work) this August/September.
Long tube headers are the way to go guys... Shorty headers don't do really do crap on any v6 including ours. That's alot of money for something that will never see much potential LoL!

It's a design flaw, not a "who can make the better shorty header".
Trust me. Build a Y-pipe, or go with long tube headers. You will regret it when you spend nearly a grand on shorty headers & wind up with an extra say 10-12bhp only at peak rpms.
Old 07-31-06, 03:50 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

The Xerd headers would be best. But evne they could benifit from properly made collectors & routing (Especially the short blah off the shelf 3 way collectors).
Old 07-31-06, 03:52 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Lexmex
My cousin has a 1995 VW Golf VR6, and the aftermarket headers do not do much and do not look much different over stock headers. So the issue with headers is not just a Lexus or Toyota issue.
Not to flood, but that's exactly the thing. Shorty v6 headers do almost nothing compaired to the stock headers which are not very restrictive to begin with.
Short headers are simply not a design that will work on any v6 <period>.
Old 08-01-06, 04:04 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I wanted Xerds at the beginning, and they were priced under 1000 USD, but too many issues with the Solara owners and problems with Xerd, deposits

The JPs...way too expensive to justify any gains...and I do not buy the ones they mentioned on their site.

With the ones from Megan Racing, I want to modify them for longer tube.

With no precats on my RX300 right now, no CELs to speak of with just the stock O2 sensors and a high flow cat, so do not worry for any of you thinking of modifiying the exhaust system.
Old 08-01-06, 05:47 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

ok well for sure im gonna do the exhaust system and im planning on getting the y-pipe and i want to convert my single exhaust to a dual exhaust system. i really want to get headers, so if i do ill make sure they are real long, lol. im not going to get them now anyways, im on kind of a budget. but just wondering, how much good would a torque converter do for my car?
Old 08-01-06, 06:12 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
ok well for sure im gonna do the exhaust system and im planning on getting the y-pipe and i want to convert my single exhaust to a dual exhaust system. i really want to get headers, so if i do ill make sure they are real long, lol. im not going to get them now anyways, im on kind of a budget. but just wondering, how much good would a torque converter do for my car?
I donīt see much reason to do that unless you are going to really be pushing the hps through forced induction. Pheonix is the master on that.

I plan to do work in the future with a company called IPT out of New Jersey to upgrade my tranny but that is due to my having a turbo in the future. Not much I can do in Mexico with regard to this.

Quick Reply: More Horsepower !!