GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Navigation DVD disc update

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 10:16 AM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation DVD disc update

I am finalizing the paper work on a new 2007 Lexus GX470 on Monday. I would like to know how can I tell if I have the most up-to-date Navigation DVD disc. I want to make sure that I have the latest maps.

Thanks,
dsmiles
Old 10-29-06, 01:06 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dsmiles1
I am finalizing the paper work on a new 2007 Lexus GX470 on Monday. I would like to know how can I tell if I have the most up-to-date Navigation DVD disc. I want to make sure that I have the latest maps.

Thanks,
dsmiles
The way I understand it; you have to ask your dealership.
Old 10-29-06, 02:06 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

if youre buying a new 2007 model, you have the latest that is available for the gx470
Old 10-29-06, 04:55 PM
dsmiles1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjbodean
if youre buying a new 2007 model, you have the latest that is available for the gx470
I want to make sure that you are not confusing having the latest generation (5) navigation system that comes with the 2007 GX470. I thought new DVD updates happen in October or November. If that is the case I want to make sure the vehicle I purchase recieves the 2007 release.

dsmiles
Old 10-29-06, 07:08 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thing you're checking! Just because you're getting the latest model year doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the latest data disc.

There should be a way to get to the DVD version number through the display. It's not intentionally hidden, but it might be a couple of keypresses down from one of the menus.

If nothing else, just write into the sale that the dealer owes you a copy of any update disc released in the second half of calendar year 2006.
Old 11-02-06, 09:46 AM
abaazov
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know when the last update of the dvd nav came out? i thought there was one coming out in october or november. is it out yet?

amnon
Old 11-02-06, 01:50 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

I wish someone would give us an idea how to find out when we can get the most upto date Navigation software. Does anyone know if the dealer really has to do the installation or can it be done by ourselves? Where does the Navigation software disc stay?
Old 11-02-06, 05:16 PM
SilverLady
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr.EinTN
I wish someone would give us an idea how to find out when we can get the most upto date Navigation software. Does anyone know if the dealer really has to do the installation or can it be done by ourselves? Where does the Navigation software disc stay?
Doc - if you do a search you should find some instructions on how to take the DVD out from a box under the front passenger seat and I think a picture or two. It didn't sound difficult, but let the buyer beware
Old 11-02-06, 07:45 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Default Does new NAV disc show SLC updates?

I live in the Salt Lake City area and have an 04 GX with Nav. SLC did a major freeway update that finished in 2002 & 03, but the new roads were not on the disc for 04. Would someone with a later version of the Nav, who is familiar with SLC, check and see if the later discs have been updated to show the new roads? I'd hate to buy an update, and find it doesn't have these updates.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help
Old 11-02-06, 08:08 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverLady
Doc - if you do a search you should find some instructions on how to take the DVD out from a box under the front passenger seat and I think a picture or two. It didn't sound difficult, but let the buyer beware
Thanks for the info. Does anyone on this forum have any "do it yourself" experience on changing an updated Nav disc or what one typically costs?
Old 11-03-06, 04:54 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add me to the list of those that would LOVE to know if the update disk is out and if it is worth it. Last year, ODOT finished up a bypass higway around a town nearby and it is clutch to take when heading down south to the beach and etc. If I have the NAV set, it goes nutts and shows me in a field MFN. I also live in a rather new development and would like to see it updated too. IF any of you get the new disk, I would love to shoot you a PM to see if the roads are current before I buy.

Thanks everyone!
CV
Old 11-12-06, 07:24 PM
jacksonian
Pole Position

Thanks for the info. Does anyone on this forum have any "do it yourself" experience on changing an updated Nav disc or what one typically costs?
I've done it several times now. The system is under the passenger seat. There's a cover that just pops off. Then there's a little slide on the left side that you slide over that opens the door and exposes the eject button. Just push it and the old disc pops out, just pop the new one in, slide the slide back over and put the cover on, voila. It's as easy as changing your CD magazine in the glove box.

You can order the DVD update from Sewell Lexus www.lexus-parts.com and they give CL members a 10% discount with the code CL911M. And now they have a rebate deal if you send in your old disc. You can get $40 for the 5.1, and $20 for the 4.1 or 3.1 disc. You just send them the old disc and a copy of your receipt for the 6.1 and they send you the rebate.

And I read the fine print, you CAN combine the CL discount with this rebate. So that cuts the price from $299 down to $258 or $238 depending on which disc you're turning in.
Old 11-12-06, 08:25 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Would the latest update apply to my 2006 Lexus GX that I bought earlier this year?
Old 11-13-06, 01:49 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the latest update apply to my 2006 Lexus GX that I bought earlier this year?

You no doubt have version 05 in your 06 GX. The newest is version 06, so yes the new update would apply to your GX.
Old 11-13-06, 07:16 PM
Dr.EinTN
Pole Position

Do you think that this update would affect anything negatively that I would need my dealer to update/program or will switching it out at home just work great based on your experience?

Quick Reply: Navigation DVD disc update