IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Do I need brakes?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07 | 02:27 PM
optsgirl
Rookie

Default Do I need brakes?????

Since we do have a luxury car...will a warning light appear on the dash if there is something wrong with the car?

My car has a little over 21K and I think I may need brake pads. It is making a squealing sound...the sound goes off and on. This has never happened before up until today.

We had a few inches of snow this morning, would that be a factor. Brakes got too wet.

I have made an appointment with the dealer for this Thursday.

Thoughts???
Old 02-26-07 | 02:50 PM
neova
Pole Position

The brake pads have wear indicators built-in. When your pads are worn enough to expose the wear indicator, your brake rotors will be making contact with the wear indicator (basically just metal) which will produce a screeching sound so that you know it's time to replace the pads.

20,000 miles sounds about the right time for a brake pad change. See what the dealer says.
Old 02-26-07 | 02:54 PM
optsgirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by neova
The brake pads have wear indicators built-in. When your pads are worn enough to expose the wear indicator, your brake rotors will be making contact with the wear indicator (basically just metal) which will produce a screeching sound so that you know it's time to replace the pads.

20,000 miles sounds about the right time for a brake pad change. See what the dealer says.
Thanks...I think you might be right.
Old 02-26-07 | 04:15 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

Exclamation

Please do not take to the dealer unless you think something is wrong. They will charge you to just "look" at the breaks.

You can do this yourself in a few seconds literally. Just luck insside the break caliber through the rims and you will see the pad in there. You should be able to see a decent amount of pad, if it looks really skinny (less than 1/8") you should probably replace the pads.

New pads are usually about a 1/4" think. Stick your camera inside your rim and take a pcitures of the insdie (best you can) of your caliber......we will tell you
Old 02-26-07 | 05:07 PM
optsgirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by nighthawk
Please do not take to the dealer unless you think something is wrong. They will charge you to just "look" at the breaks.

You can do this yourself in a few seconds literally. Just luck insside the break caliber through the rims and you will see the pad in there. You should be able to see a decent amount of pad, if it looks really skinny (less than 1/8") you should probably replace the pads.

New pads are usually about a 1/4" think. Stick your camera inside your rim and take a pcitures of the insdie (best you can) of your caliber......we will tell you
I will take the picture tomorrow and post in the morning. Thanks.
Old 02-26-07 | 05:29 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Wouldnt be surprised if you have to change your brakes. I got mine done @ 22k miles.
Old 02-26-07 | 05:34 PM
optsgirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hartawan
Wouldnt be surprised if you have to change your brakes. I got mine done @ 22k miles.
I was hoping they would last until about 30K...we'll see on Wednesday.

What should I expect to pay for brakes?
Old 02-26-07 | 06:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Position the light like this:

Look down from the top to see this:

You are looking to see if there is still a slot in the pad like this or if the backing plate is almost touching the disc surface:

The rear looks like this:

Again, you are looking to see if there is any slot left, or if the backing plate is (nearly) touching the disc surface:

Brake pads retail for $59.95 per axle. If they charge you more, they are pricing them above list price or they are charging you for the pads and the anti-squeal shims. The book says to replace them. I rarely do.

In all likelihood, they'll tell you you need rotors too, but the thing to do is ask them to measure them and tell you how thick they are. On the IS350 front, anything less than 27mm is too thin. New is 30mm. On the rear, the disc should be no less than 16.5mm. 18mm is new.

On the IS250, the front discs should measure 25mm, new is 28mm. The rear discs should measure 8.5mm, new is 10mm.
Old 02-26-07 | 06:53 PM
Hartawan
Former Vendor

Longo charged me
$63 for pads
$11 for grease
$165 for labor (resurfacing)
$245 including tax.
Old 02-26-07 | 06:56 PM
Frisco
Driver

Very nice lobuxracer, this should help a lot of people that are now getting close to that mileage.
Old 02-26-07 | 07:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I have 20,000 miles on my car. I just don't wear out my brakes. I have a fundamental belief that brakes are for the timid.

(I also do mostly interstate driving, so I get a lot of miles without a lot of wear.)
Old 02-27-07 | 10:37 AM
optsgirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Position the light like this:

Look down from the top to see this:

You are looking to see if there is still a slot in the pad like this or if the backing plate is almost touching the disc surface:

The rear looks like this:

Again, you are looking to see if there is any slot left, or if the backing plate is (nearly) touching the disc surface:

Brake pads retail for $59.95 per axle. If they charge you more, they are pricing them above list price or they are charging you for the pads and the anti-squeal shims. The book says to replace them. I rarely do.

In all likelihood, they'll tell you you need rotors too, but the thing to do is ask them to measure them and tell you how thick they are. On the IS350 front, anything less than 27mm is too thin. New is 30mm. On the rear, the disc should be no less than 16.5mm. 18mm is new.

On the IS250, the front discs should measure 25mm, new is 28mm. The rear discs should measure 8.5mm, new is 10mm.
I am not sure if you can tell from these pictures. Those slots you were mentioning...I cannot see them. It looks like there is a decent abount of thickness on the pads.

Last edited by optsgirl; 02-27-07 at 10:38 AM. Reason: need to submit picture
Old 02-27-07 | 10:45 AM
optsgirl
Rookie

Here is a picture. It seems to be pretty thick.
Old 02-27-07 | 12:52 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Why not...

Use the TSB out there for Excessive brake dust if you have an IS350. Free front brakes!

Okay bad way to look at it, but at the same time.... why not?
Old 02-27-07 | 01:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

...New pads are usually about a 1/4" think...
New pads are 1/2" thick on the front. 12.5mm for the 350 and 12.2mm for the 250.

I can't see your pics optsgirl...

Quick Reply: Do I need brakes?????