wtb/tein flex

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-06, 11:01 PM
t3ts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtb/tein flex

anyone have a set? or even know where i can pick up a reasonable priced set?
Old 08-30-06, 11:47 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Todd @ Tmengineering. Hes great.
Old 08-31-06, 12:20 AM
t3ts
Driver School Candidate

you mean "team engineering"?? just checking and thx for the nudge.
Old 08-31-06, 12:28 AM
t3ts
Driver School Candidate

yeah "tm engineering" thx man ill call and find out.
Old 08-31-06, 07:27 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just a thought... i have had the tein flex and now currently have the tein CS... and tein has recently come out w/a new (and i guess improved) tein CS... the tein CS is a MUCH MORE lexus ride than the FLEX. the FLEX can be dropped lower and handle better, BUT you will feel EVERYTHING in the road. and believe it or not, the tein CS is actually cheaper (new) than the FLEX. no matter what you choose though, you will enjoy them as they are WELL WORTH the money i would just hate to see you make the same mistake i made in getting the FLEX first and end up losing money.
Old 09-01-06, 12:36 AM
t3ts
Driver School Candidate

did you get a chance to ride in a gs w/cs set up before you got your flex?
have you had an oppurtunity to ride a gs with a eibach/bilstein combo before your flex?

and if the flex are set at its softest is it still a harsh ride? im "rolling" stock now and hate it. and just realized how high i sit compared to a cs set up. thx for looking out. i dont want to make a costly decision either.
Old 09-01-06, 08:56 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t3ts
did you get a chance to ride in a gs w/cs set up before you got your flex?
have you had an oppurtunity to ride a gs with a eibach/bilstein combo before your flex?

and if the flex are set at its softest is it still a harsh ride? im "rolling" stock now and hate it. and just realized how high i sit compared to a cs set up. thx for looking out. i dont want to make a costly decision either.
ok, with that said... just get the TEIN CS!!!! the ONLY reasons anyone would want the FLEX is b/c it can be dropped lower and it does in fact handle a little better. but at its SOFTEST setting, the FLEX was still a VERY STIFF ride. now, with the CS, you wont drop it as low but it still handles MUCH better than stock and even at the CS's FIRMEST setting (which is where i keep it), it is VERY LEXUS like in the sense it drives very smoothly... do yourself a favor and just order the TEIN CS and dont look back
Old 09-01-06, 10:59 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI Tets - my CS setup is set at the firmest in front and 2 clicks from the firmest in the rear.

very lexus like but a little too soft for spirited driving. but then again - it's a luxury car and it should ride as such at least 90% of the time.

i'll probably get an SC if I want to carve roads up.
Old 09-01-06, 10:24 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It all depends on your driving style. For me the Flex is a no brainer. At times, I feel it is too soft. The flex is pretty cushy if used by itself(as in no other add-ons). At the softest settings and zero preload, it almost feels like stock.

Once you start stiffening up the chassis with strut tower bars, underchassis braces, and sway bars....you're definatley going to feel some stiffness.

Here's my suspension mod list history and the results I felt with each new add-on:
Step 1: Stock suspension + stock 16 = 4x4 look and can't handle worth a damn...in short, I hated it.

Step 2: Flex + Stock 16" rims + Lowered 1.5" + Softest setting + 0 preload = rides almost like stock unless you hit a pothole or some VERY rough roads(even then its just about 20% rougher than stock)...and obviously it handles a lot better than stock.

Step 3: Flex + 18" 35 profile tires + Lowered 2" + Stiffest setting + a little preload = rides is about 25% stiffer than stock, but still very cushy. Potholes and rough roads are amplified due to the 18" wheels. Sum it up...ride is still very smooth, even my parents notice no change in ride quality.

Step 4: Flex + 18's + 2" drop + Stiffest setting + heavier preload + Daizen sways + Front ST Bar= This is the point where you can definately feel some stiffness come into the cabin. The sways stiffened up the suspension very noticably, but the car also handles waaaay better than the previous step.
Sum it up...this is how my car is of now. It is definately much stiffer and it's immediately apparent, but oh how much fun it is to attack the right turns at 35-40mph

NOTE: Almost eveyone who has complained about the Flex being too stiff must have it set wrong or your shop doesn't know what they're doing. It WILL ride very close to stock if you set it at the softest setting and the most important....make sure you have ZERO preload.
Old 09-01-06, 10:59 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
NOTE: Almost eveyone who has complained about the Flex being too stiff must have it set wrong or your shop doesn't know what they're doing. It WILL ride very close to stock if you set it at the softest setting and the most important....make sure you have ZERO preload.
It comes down to what your needs are. I had the Flex and had it set at different settings. (I also have all of the other usual braces/bars.) The car handled great but it did not ride like a luxury car. I got tired of the handling/ride ratio being on the handling side. I decided to tip the ratio to the other side and was happier.

For my needs, I much prefer the CS. My setup was installed by Todd at TMEngineering with 0 preload. I hated the softest setting as it was too bouncy, handling degraded, and actually felt unsafe. I liked it in the middle. Now with the CS, I am OK with any setting.

With all that said, there are several threads on coilovers with CS vs Flex discusions. Since this is a WTB thread, we really should not be discussing this info. If someone has the Flex for sale, post up. Otherwise, let's take the discussion to the regular (non-Classified) part of the forum.
Old 09-02-06, 12:04 AM
t3ts
Driver School Candidate

yeah but cliff you and i both know that zachs bilstein/eibach combo is where i want to be. just lower. plus this isnt my dail driver. at least it wasnt till i joined this damn forum. thx i blame EVERYONE!!
back to business. theres that much of a difference between the 2?! ive read the past forums SEVERAL TIMES!!! it didnt sound that way though. and yes neo is right about keeping it on topic. doesnt mean you cant pm me...
thx guys preciate it. and im still looking hook a brotha up huh???
peace

they really need a peace icon you know that