*** T R D L S D Group Buy for GS and SC ***

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-02, 06:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Default *** TRD LSD Group Buy for GS and SC ***

Group Buy Information for Toyota Racing Division (TRD) Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

Steve Ganz at Carson Toyota has received a shipment of five TRD LSDs. These bad boys have been very hard to find recently; I've been waiting for one to come in since March. Steve has graciously offered these for a ClubLexus group buy before releasing them.

The LSD will fit GS400, GS300, SC300, SC400. I'm confirming it will work with GS430. I believe it will - GSMan has recently posted that he has the TRD LSD in his GS430.

Standard cost for the TRD LSD is $1025
Steve normally sells the TRD LSD discounted at $799
For the group buy, Steve is selling the LSD for $769 with free UPS shipping.

The LSDs are in stock now and are ready to ship as soon as I get the group of five together. Payment will be arranged directly with Steve via credit card or other methods Carson Toyota accepts.

Please post here, PM me or send email to davegs4@clublexus.com if you want to participate. First five confirmed people based on date/time stamp get them; two are already gone with myself and Mariusz. If anyone falls through on the purchase, I'll take the next on the list or open the group buy back up.

In short, the LSD will help if you have traction problems with your Lexus. It puts power to the wheel that isn't spinning when traction brakes loose (assuming you have VSC turned off). I need one because I smoke my tires all the time with my Precision Industries torque converter and I want better launches. If you are thinking about getting forced induction like a supercharger or turbo, I'd personally consider one of these a must-have.

For more information about the LSD and fitment questions, check the following resources.

TRD Website link for LSD

and three former LSD threads on ClubLexus:
GS Forum Link 1
GS Forum Link 2
SC Forum Link 3

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-06-02 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-06-02, 07:55 PM
Mariusz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great price. I'm in.

Last edited by Mariusz; 05-06-02 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-06-02, 08:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

DANG that sounds tempting... tell me one more time someone why I would want the TRD one and not the Supra one??
Old 05-06-02, 10:48 PM
RacingAristo

I have a question and hope that someone could answer it for me. When I do a launch (VSC is off), my car will take a second or more to get the traction. Sometimes my car even go side ways. So will the TRD LSD eliminate the spin and my car will grap the traction immediately?

Thank you.

Old 05-07-02, 05:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Bit:

Either one will do the trick and are nice additions. I prefer the TRD over the Supra for a couple of reasons.

1) The TRD is a beefier part and will handle more horsepower than the Supra LSD. For example, Steve Ganz is changing his stock LSD to a TRD one (he's putting down 600 + hp) in his Supra. I'll likely strap on a supercharger at some point in the not too distant future so this is a consideration for me.

2) While I like the idea of a slightly faster launch with the Supra 3.76 gears, I have a nagging idea that the ECU in my GS is always expecting 3.23 gears. Since the TRD LSD keeps the stock gearing, this won't pose a problem. I don't want to hit the rev limiter on a full-out launch when it counts - I understand this happens sometimes (although fairly infrequently) with the steeper gears.

#2 also becomes a consideration with the SC - the lower stock gears should help keep traction from breaking once I get all that extra HP . For now, the LSD should keep me from burning off all that expensive S-03 tread.

RacingAristo:

That's my problem as well and my hope is that this will fix that issue. Dex put the Supra LSD in and even with the steeper gears, he's challenged to spin the wheels. Unfortunately, he did the LSD very soon after he put those big wide 19" lowenhart's on his car, so we can't attriute it 100% to the LSD. Perhaps some of the other folks that have LSD (Mean Gene, GSMan or some of the supercharged guys) might be able to answer that question for us.
Old 05-07-02, 06:11 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, what the heck... I'm in!
Old 05-07-02, 09:24 AM
RacingAristo

Dave,

Please let me know if TRD LSD would solve the problem. I have the money ready but don't want to spend it if it ain't gonna solve the problem. Thank you.

Old 05-07-02, 10:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

RA -

Of course I can't personally guarantee anything ...

I've done the next best thing though - I PM'd a few folks (Mean Gene, Dex, GSMan, Mr Johnson) and asked them to post their observations about their install. Gene and Dex have the Supra LSD and GSMan (and I think Mr J) has the TRD - but the limited slip effect of both should be the same.

If you don't get in on the group buy, I think you're relatively local to Steve? and could go by and pick up one of the next shipment (whenever that is) for an extra $30.... By that time I will have mine installed and can specifically answer your question.

Also - Steve Ganz positively confirmed the LSD works for the GS430.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-07-02 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-07-02, 10:49 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by RacingAristo
So will the TRD LSD eliminate the spin and my car will grap the traction immediately?
Yes; nearly immediately. One of my wheels will pop for maybe 1/2 a sec as the gears move to distribute the torque.
Old 05-07-02, 12:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Following is Mean Gene's reply (sent via pm)

"Dave - I have to second the response of Dexter. In fact, I made my wife swallow her gum last night launching from a red light!! IMO, the LSD w/3.23 ( stock ) gears will make it virtually impossible to spin the tires for more than a very few feet ( if at all ). The only reason mine can spin them for about 5-10 feet is the steeper 3.76 gears. Before the differential change, just the addition of the T/C made the back end get very loose ( just the same problem that U & RA seem to have ). It's not as good as a true positive traction rear ( like a Detroit Locker ) but the limited slip DOES work & is well worth it in terms of straightline performance. It's even better for those that autocross as it allows just enough slip coming out of the corner to maximize lap times. I recommend it highly!! FWIW - it dropped my quartermile & 0-60 times by an average of .2 but I gotta give some of the credit to the gears themselves.

Gene "
Old 05-07-02, 01:35 PM
GSman
Pole Position

RA and DaveGS4,

I have the TRD LSD and am very happy with the performance. I get great traction in turns and on hard launches. It should be standard equipment on the GS! I decided to go with the TRD LSD because it is a solid, quality unit and maintains the stock 3.23 ratio.
Old 05-07-02, 01:44 PM
RacingAristo

Dave,

I will make up my mind within 2 days. Since I'm local to Steve, is it possible that I pick up the LSD myself and perhaps save couple more bucks? If not too much trouble, please ask Steve about this option. Gracias.

Old 05-07-02, 08:06 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dave,

I've sent Steve an email already asking if this TRD LSD will work on the SC430 but I might get it answered here quicker.. If anyone who views this knows please drop a reply or PM me with the answer.. Also does anyone have an idea what the dealer will charge on average to install this part??

Ken
Old 05-07-02, 08:10 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

I agree with everyone on this thread. I've got the TRD LSD. I actually prefer a torsen unit but given the gearing changes I didn't think it made as much sense with a SC. Everybody has a different sense of what is streetable but I prefer the stock gearing with the TC and SC and the perceived ability to handle more power.

FWIW I can cause the rears to spin at will but it has made driving the car much more satisfying by making it more predicatable. Perhaps when I goto larger wheels/tires that might change but I still think it will be easy to break them loose if I want.

For casual driving the big improvements come with rain and snow. Before the LSD the car was pretty lousy in the snow even with snow tires. With the LSD it's a whole new car. Even with the crappy RE030 you don't have to worry about rain too much. I wish I could drive on a track because it's a blast keeping the car on the edge of traction.

I believe a LSD should be standard (either a torsen with the lower gearing or the TRD unit) on all GS series cars. Well worth the cost if you have a sporting interest.

[Sorry for the stream of conciousness reply, I'm working on no sleep in > 30 hours on a day where I've had breakfast in Chicago, lunch in Memphis and dinner in Houston.]
Old 05-07-02, 10:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From the posts, the benefits of installing the LSD sounds interesting. What about the actual install, though? Will Lexus do this? Do you guys plan on going to a trusted mechanic? How much does it usually cost for the install?

Are there any cons at all to installing the LSD?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: *** T R D L S D Group Buy for GS and SC ***