Fs: 2001 Gs 430

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-03, 11:06 PM
cyclemax
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyers Market

Originally posted by kvoman
Bad economy is probably the reason but buyers are still out there looking for a bargain. It's a buyer's market on everything from cars to houses, etc. If you really want to sell your car, you may have to consider dropping the price below what you think it's worth or below the market value, checkout www.Edmunds.com for more information.

If you can post additional information like when the car was purchased and how much is remaining on the factory warranty (basic and powertrain), that may peak some curiosity.

Good Luck.
I agree about it being a buyers market for cars, but houses? That sure ain't the case in the Northeast, where prices have nearly doubled in the last few years.

Back to the car...yes, it sure is a buyers market. With the incentives on new cars, it's driving down the value of used cars accordingly. And yes, the economy is a little shaky too for a big car purchase.

I think the problem is that you are having trouble reaching your best customer base. Most people looking for a car like that (extra clean, classy color, over $30K) aren't cruising CL or shopping Autotrader. It was mentioned before that most of the time, internet shoppers are looking for the price that is well below market. I agree.

The Providence RI paper usually has ridiculously high prices for pre-owned Lexi from the local dealer. In a forum like that, your car would look like a steal at a private party price. Plus, I bet that is the audience that will appreciate your car the most. Just be sure to stress the warrantee and CPO if you can get it.

One last thing. Although your car looks immaculate, I'd suggest a better photo. Keep the front wheels straight and try shooting it from different angles, possibly in different lighting/backround. Sunlight makes a world of difference on that color. I should know, mine's gold too.
Old 07-03-03, 05:02 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

Default Re: Buyers Market

Originally posted by cyclemax
I agree about it being a buyers market for cars, but houses? That sure ain't the case in the Northeast, where prices have nearly doubled in the last few years.
I must agree on that! After 3 years of owning a home in Mass, i recently sold my house for more than i was originally asking in as little as 4 days and pocketed a bundle (paid off the lex too) and I'm building a similar size house on some property i had for half the cost. (Can't wait for the lift in the garage and the indoor pool)

IMHO Rates are down and business should be picking up soon....... people are too affraid now a days to spend any money in this economy, which is one reason for the slow comeback.
Old 07-05-03, 05:38 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Price reduced to $34,900.

If I don't find a buyer by 7/10/03, my dealer brcomes the beneficiary of my time bind.
Old 07-05-03, 05:13 PM
VI Rep
Driver

Default Check Carmax.

I do not know if you sold your car yet but you need to check car max if there is one in your area. They are a car dealership by walmart that would give you cash for your car. I was quoted 25,000. for my 2000 GS 300 with 46,000 miles about 3 months ago. I know that they will give you more than the dealer. The best thing is that they will cut you a check right there. I know you will be better off going with them. Good luck on selling that car!
Old 07-05-03, 10:36 PM
mikhailw
Rookie

$25000 for 2000 GS300? Why would they give you this much money, if they can buy the same car at dealer's auction for $16k-18K. They may promise to give you $25k, but until they give you money, it is just words.
Even on EBAY, GS300s aren't popular and very low priced.
Old 07-06-03, 02:13 PM
asci01
Pole Position

$25K wholesale. I doubt it. That's what I paid for my 2000 GS300 with 35K from a dealer 3 months ago. Either that or I got a super deal.
Old 07-06-03, 05:53 PM
mikhailw
Rookie

I just looked in EDMUNDS. Private party retail is $25000. The wholesale price is below or near $20K.
Old 07-06-03, 06:27 PM
asci01
Pole Position

I just looked in EDMUNDS. Private party retail is $25000. The wholesale price is below or near $20K
That's more like it.
Old 07-06-03, 07:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Drive4fun - have to ask, why are you selling? Boy I'd like to own your car and move all my upgrades to it.
Old 07-06-03, 08:08 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally posted by mikhailw
I just looked in EDMUNDS. Private party retail is $25000. The wholesale price is below or near $20K.
How can your price be so different than the Edmunds value AgGS400 pasted in above with all the details for this car? I think you may have either put in the wrong year, left off all the options or selected a GS300.

Trade-In $34,549
Private Party $37,316
Dealer Retail $40,388

EDIT: nevermind, I think you were just off-topic in Gary's thread talking about another car's price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gary, good looking car. Good luck selling it.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-06-03 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-06-03, 08:48 PM
mikhailw
Rookie

The $25K is for 2000 GS300. One of the posters, mentioned that CARMAX is willing to pay $25K for GS3. The orinal seller has the right price for GS430. I
Old 07-08-03, 05:22 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Price reduced to $33,000 until noon EDST Thursday, 7/10/03.

If no takers, it goes to dealer.
Old 07-09-03, 02:17 PM
jbbnet
Lead Lap

i hope you posted it in the local paper and local car advertisers. 33k is a great price for a 2001 GS430.

I think it must be the color, it may not appeal to as many people, especially younger generations. Typical blacks and silvers sell good, but they said spectra mica wasn't a great selling color.

good luck,
what you getting next?
Old 07-10-03, 07:06 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Thanks to all for your input. The car goes to the dealer at 2:00 PM today.

I'm getting a 2003 Lincoln LS Premium Sport.

The GS 430 has been an excellent car, but just isn't as satisfying as the Lincoln. I drove a 2000 Lincoln LS for 35,000 miles/ two years, then the GS 430 for 23,000 miles/two years, then a test drive in the 2003 Lincoln.

The Lincoln has more and better features, handles better, and very important to me, is directional stability on the expressway that is laser-straight, even on irregular road surfaces and wind gusts. A person has to drive them both under the same conditions in order to appreciate the superiority of the Lincoln in this aspect.

My only cause for hesitation in making the change was the terrific financial beating I was taking for two years of ownership of the GS.

Enjoy your Lexi; they're great cars. Broaden your knowledge and test drive a Lincoln LS.
Old 07-10-03, 08:08 AM
Jzaristo
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Drive4Fun

The Lincoln has more and better features, handles better, and very important to me, is directional stability on the expressway that is laser-straight, even on irregular road surfaces and wind gusts. A person has to drive them both under the same conditions in order to appreciate the superiority of the Lincoln in this aspect.

My only cause for hesitation in making the change was the terrific financial beating I was taking for two years of ownership of the GS.

Enjoy your Lexi; they're great cars. Broaden your knowledge and test drive a Lincoln LS.
HA. HA..HA..... That was a funny statement. I guess Lexus winning the best Luxury car class four years in a row makes it inferior to your Lincoln. The only Lincoln I am familiar with is Abraham and Navigator.

Just face it...YOU can't afford a Lex so BA-BYE..............................

Quick Reply: Fs: 2001 Gs 430