Fs: 2001 Gs 430

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-03, 09:04 AM
Dimiscus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Drive4Fun
Thanks to all for your input. The car goes to the dealer at 2:00 PM today.

I'm getting a 2003 Lincoln LS Premium Sport.

The GS 430 has been an excellent car, but just isn't as satisfying as the Lincoln. I drove a 2000 Lincoln LS for 35,000 miles/ two years, then the GS 430 for 23,000 miles/two years, then a test drive in the 2003 Lincoln.

The Lincoln has more and better features, handles better, and very important to me, is directional stability on the expressway that is laser-straight, even on irregular road surfaces and wind gusts. A person has to drive them both under the same conditions in order to appreciate the superiority of the Lincoln in this aspect.

My only cause for hesitation in making the change was the terrific financial beating I was taking for two years of ownership of the GS.

Enjoy your Lexi; they're great cars. Broaden your knowledge and test drive a Lincoln LS.
I gotta tell ya, I would never buy an american car again in my life. I currently own a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I bought new for my wife 2 years ago and not only do I have problems with it, the value of the car has gone in the toilet and beyond. My other car, the GS430, has truly taught me the meaning of luxury, reliability, performance, service etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. There is not a car line in today's market that comes close to the total package you receive with a Lexus. If you want to talk about a beating, you will definantly take one with the Lincoln. A buddy of mine had one and when he went to trade it in, he almost started Good luck with LS, if thats what you are into. God knows I will never trade away from the Lexus car line whether car or SUV.
Old 07-10-03, 09:05 AM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

The Lincoln has more and better features, handles better, and very important to me, is directional stability on the expressway that is laser-straight, even on irregular road surfaces and wind gusts. A person has to drive them both under the same conditions in order to appreciate the superiority of the Lincoln in this aspect.
Well, not sure on features as Lexus is an old design.

But, I'm sure a decently modded Lexus will spank an LS. With parts that won't void warranty such as L-tuned shocks and springs, TRD sways, and an L-Tuned ECU, you would have what you desire. Can go even further with TRD STB and LCB. All these parts are not that expensive.

And the beating you are taking on the GS? Look at resale prices for an LS.
Old 07-10-03, 09:20 AM
mikhailw
Rookie

How much will dealer give you for this car?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drive4Fun
[B]Thanks to all for your input. The car goes to the dealer at 2:00 PM today.
Old 07-10-03, 09:28 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

I paid cash for the Lexus.

Your comments are valid only after you've driven both cars for many miles.

Your credibility and maturity are made very clear by your closing statement.
Old 07-10-03, 09:31 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Dealer is giving me $31,000.

By the way, when considering depreciation, look at the actual purchase prices, not MSRP as too many auto writers do.
Old 07-10-03, 01:36 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Originally posted by AgGS400
Well, not sure on features as Lexus is an old design.

But, I'm sure a decently modded Lexus will spank an LS. With parts that won't void warranty such as L-tuned shocks and springs, TRD sways, and an L-Tuned ECU, you would have what you desire. Can go even further with TRD STB and LCB. All these parts are not that expensive.

And the beating you are taking on the GS? Look at resale prices for an LS.
How much does it cost, on top of the ~ 50K purchase price, to make a GS 430 handle as well as a $40,000 Lincoln LS?

Also, once modded, the resale market shrinks considerably. Some people wouldn't even consider my GS430 because it had OZ Racing wheels ... a wheel supplier for TRD.

Let's not get into a flame war. My point is that the Lexus GS 430 is an excellent car. The Lincoln LS is also an excellent car that hasn't yet earned the much-deserved great reputation of the Lexus. The Lexus has some features and characteristics that are lacking in the Lincoln. The Lincoln has some features and characteristics that are lacking in the Lexus.

I believe that a person should drive both, and pick the one that represents the best value for the features & characteristics important to him/her. If the Lincoln is selected, then the issue becomes: what to do with the $7,000-$10,000 saved. College? Vacation Trip?
Old 07-10-03, 02:22 PM
mikhailw
Rookie

It is just money. Get acar that you like.
Good luck.

Dealer is giving me $31,000.

By the way, when considering depreciation, look at the actual purchase prices, not MSRP as too many auto writers do.
Old 07-10-03, 02:44 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Originally posted by mikhailw
It is just money. Get acar that you like.
Good luck.
Agreed.

Thank you.
Old 07-10-03, 03:09 PM
G4Titan
Driver

better use that 7-10k for and get a college edubacation!!!
Old 07-10-03, 03:18 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default harsh

some people in here go for the throat, i just tell ya to get what makes you happy.
Old 07-10-03, 03:28 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,387 Posts

Guys - let's keep the comments impersonal. This gentleman's finances and plans for any "edubacation" are his own personal business, not ours. If he likes the Lincoln better, he should get it.

Drive4fun, simply putting the l-tuned suspension on your GS (springs/shocks) will make it handle better than the LS. Not a big expense IMO.

Suggest you look up your local Carmax and see what they'll give you for your car as well.
Old 07-11-03, 06:57 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Originally posted by G4Titan
better use that 7-10k for and get a college edubacation!!!
Already have two: BSME, and Masters in Automotive Engineering. You?
Old 07-11-03, 03:15 PM
G4Titan
Driver

Likewise BSSE and MBA...
Old 07-12-03, 05:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Some of the immature and condescending comments are way off base. Before you guys throw stones, or mock the LS you should know that Lincoln made a lot of changes/upgrades for 2003 and it's a great car. It might not rate the same in overall reliability as Lexus, but the differences in quality across many brands are not that statistically significant. I can say that my 2000 Lexus GS had a few things to fix in the early days, and even recently I had to have some warranty work done, so it's not all 'perfection'. My prior two cars, both Acura Legends, were of higher overall build quality than my GS.

Drive4Fun - good luck with the LS. Kinda sad that you're taking such a beating on the GS and I really do wish I could have bought your car, that's such a deal, but I've got other financial commitments going on right now that made it impossible.
Old 07-12-03, 06:23 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread should have ended a long time ago

Quick Reply: Fs: 2001 Gs 430