Adjusting headlight beams upward

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-07, 11:40 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting headlight beams upward

Hello,
I know it has been talked about before and I saw someone posted a DIY on how to adjust headlight beam upward so that the lights shoot out further.
I did search, but I can't find it.
Can someone help?
thx
Old 11-13-07, 11:43 PM
Audiofan2
Pole Position

Its in the manual. Or, I had my dealer do it and things have been good since.
Old 11-14-07, 05:12 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Default Here's a combination of several posts from CLers

So I guess most (if not all) of our cars come from the factory with the HID's pointing VERY low... So low, that if you are on a dark road, you can't see more than 50 ft in front of the car... The headlights just sort of abruptly stop and then it's pitch blackness.... Not good...

Anyway, I just wanted to report that I adjusted my headlight alignment upwards and it's now perfect!

I have the AFS and HID and auto-leveling and everything else... The full package... It doesn't make a difference... You still just take a large size philips head screwdriver and make the mechanical adjustment...

For the record, I adjusted mine approx 70 teeth turns on the left lamp, and 60 teeth turns for the right lamp... This was about 2-3 full turns of the adjustment wheel... (The left light was slightly lower than the right light from the factory)...

Anyway, everything is perfect now, lights are properly aligned, and they are definitely not too high... In fact, I could raise them more if I wanted and still not bother oncoming traffic, but they are good in the proper alignment position...

Total time to do this: 20 minutes (5 minutes to remove the engine covers, 5 minutes per headlight turning very slowly and carefully counting the number of turns, 5 minutes to put the engine covers back on)

-------------------------------------------------

FWIW, I just adjusted mine, compared to my TSX they are way too low, I found that the screw driver must make 5 full revolutions to turn the gear 1 full turn, so I adjusted mine using the screw driver and with 2 full revolutions of the adjuster wheel the lights were better but not high enough, I read the owners manual and followed the directions verbatim, if you haven’t turned the 2nd adjustment on each light you will find the lights criss cross and too far to the left, you have to adjust both adjusters on each light the same amount to maintain the correct beam pattern.
I turned mine a total of 4 turns to get the lights where they actually hit just below street signs on a flat road. nobody flashed me while passing and now I can finally drive with the low beams on 100% improvement

-----------------------------------------------------------

Turning the SCREWDRIVER counterclockwise makes the light go up. screwdriver clockwise = light aim goes down

Whichever the way you turned the vertical adjustment. So if you turned the vertical counter-clockwise 2 full turns, same applies to the horizontal.
It's basically on the fenders, it's only a couple of inches from the vertical adjustment under the black plastic liner that covers the fender. It's a hole just big enough for a long screw driver.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I did mine right after this post when up. I am loving the change.

I marked the adjustment *** with a marker prior to making changes. Two full turns mark to mark and it looks GREAT.
Old 11-14-07, 08:20 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
(The left light was slightly lower than the right light from the factory)...
That's by design.
Old 11-14-07, 09:46 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Heh...I brought my car in for the 1k service a couple days ago and mentioned "The lights are aimed way too low from the factory, looking around online this seems common, please adjust them"

When I got the car back I was told they're within Lexus spec so they can't adjust em.

Guess what they say about needing to do anything yourself if you want it done right is true
Old 11-14-07, 10:17 AM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Heh...I brought my car in for the 1k service a couple days ago and mentioned "The lights are aimed way too low from the factory, looking around online this seems common, please adjust them"

When I got the car back I was told they're within Lexus spec so they can't adjust em.

Guess what they say about needing to do anything yourself if you want it done right is true

Not really, I asked my S/A if they could adjust the lights up some. I showed him the post here and they did it for me for free.......What's the problem?
Old 11-14-07, 11:57 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem is not every dealer will do things outside what their specs say. (and unlike SoCal we don't have 50 dealers in a 5 square mile radius to pick from :P )

They did turn off the DRLs at least, so there's that.

The adjustment I can at least do myself with a screwdriver, the DRLs I'd be out of luck doing myself.

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-14-07 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 10:59 PM
mctuners
Lead Lap

Thanks! I will try this tomorrow night. BTW, is there only one adjustment screw per side or is there 2 to choose from (one for adjusting side, the other for up& down)? If there are 2 adjustment screws, is it outer one?
Thanks