SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Fury Hath Been Spoken By The Lexus Gods

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 01:17 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Fury Hath Been Spoken By The Lexus Gods

As a lesson, I am writing this up as a lesson to all the people who neglect their car's needs. Ever since I picked up my car, it has had some minor voltage issues, but SOME issues nonetheless. I thought it could be taken care of when I got more money, I'm a college student, more money doesn't exist.

So, my car is running today, then turned off, then when tried to start again, a poof of smoke came from the sub, through the back seat. The car was turning (meanwhile the stereo and sub were still working) but not starting. Tried to start it again after checking out the smoke, and nothing. No turn, no interior lights, no electric seats, no nothing.

This is what happens when you neglect electrical problems, don't let it happen to you, because right around tax return time and you want to go single, you cant because you have to fix this now...bad times.

PS- not to mention the sunroof is stuck fully open and windows down, and i live in the hood.

Any help on this would be appreciated but what my mechanic and I have deduced is either it grounded itself out somewhere or the system is fried, either way, the whole thing is getting redone with my tax return.
Old 02-14-08, 01:23 PM
andrewwake
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that sucks! the sunroof can be closed by taking off the interior dome/reading light and there is a manual crank in there. as for the windows, take off the door panels and push the windows up. so no electrical at all? check the heart of those components, the battery, then the fuses. if those are good, then have a fun time re-wiring the car and maybe even some ecus.
Old 02-14-08, 01:35 PM
surferlife
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, fun...lol after you get that thing all sealed up, cover it so it becomes less of a target.
Old 02-14-08, 01:43 PM
TheCoupe
Driver

I had a run in w/The that Lexus God guy... I had an air freshener(sqwash.. smells damn good by the way) under my seat, some water had collected in that area right by the wire harness for the seat.Metal+water+electricity=Fire. I was driving while this small feat occured, and can u guess what place was the closest for me to turn in to... yup u probably guessed it a gas station. The moral of the story is... I dont know i just wanted to share my story.
Old 02-14-08, 01:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its probably not as bad as it looks, and it might not even cost you alot to replace whats wrong.. if you can figure it out.
since your car is turning over i would assume you have a bad relay/transistor and the car will not start if one of them is not in proper working order (like a failsafe)

some helpful steps:
first disconnect unnecessary fuses one by one and see if you can turn the engine over and start. i would start with accessory line and stereo seeing as you had smoke come out the back. just cause something is working does not mean it isnt causing inteferance buildup due to a deteriorating ground somewhere.

if you still cannot find it I would check major relays/transistors under the hood. a faulty one will usually make noise like a clicking or a humming. even ones that run your headlights can cause your engine not to start because they are all on the same ground circuit!! my friends corolla would turn over for minutes and if you could get it to start it would die before it finished revving up. removed the headlight relay, car isntantly started up and idled.

removing major relays your car may or may not run happily, this is because your car is now in open loop mode. i wouldn't drive around like this, only do it to find the source of the problem.

check all of those, grind down your battery terminals with some sandpaper or something metal so they have good contact. check as many grounds as you can.

also check your trunk area where the hinges are, ive seen some toyotas munch through the wires going to your tail-lights that they love to run along the hinges for some stupid reason.

check everything to do with your lights, they are on the most integral part of the circuit.
Old 02-14-08, 09:58 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

thanks on closing the sunroof, had no idea. I'll keep the update on the regular. I miss her so much now, it is unreal, kiss your SC tonight.
Old 02-15-08, 10:28 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you try messing with the electronics yet?
Old 02-15-08, 01:11 PM
gorilaFART
Pole Position

check the ground!... my car was out of commission once and it sat for a few months only to find out it was something as simple as bad ground.. my car would shut off and not restart.. all my electricals would not work for nothing. finally when i thought i had enough money to pay for whatever was wrong with it... the mechanic didnt even charge me for parts cuz none was needed.. it was just labor.. all he had to do was re-ground it. not saying this is your problem.. but it sounded familiar to my problem
Old 02-15-08, 06:56 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you get desprite enough one day hook you window motor up to a fuse and then directly to a battery, you would need to check what kind of fuse i believe a 20 but im not sure.
Old 02-16-08, 08:09 AM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Good idea bout the windows, I've covered them up with garbage bags, no rain here for a few days. I tried checking the fuses, they all worked fine, even the fuse in my amp for my sub (the one that was smoking) was untouched, which I think may be more of a bad thing than a good thing.

The battery looks great, pretty much brand new, plus its still holding its charge by itself.

I've tried to skip a few fuses but haven't gotten anywhere. I agree with all of you that it's grounded itself out somewhere along the lines, gotta go find it. Thanks again for all the advice, I'm taking all of it outside to the car with me right now. Cheers
Old 02-18-08, 02:11 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

So, I found out what was wrong. Sadly, it was way above my expertise so i had to take it...sorry...TOW it...to Midas and have them look at it.

Apparently, some wiring grounded itself out and fried the battery (which still had a charge after this happened?? no idea how), which in turn gave a bad diode to the alternator.

I had to get a new battery, new alternator (only one with 50 miles for an SC so I'm told), and some new wiring for the ignition. THAT plus labor...lets just say if I could use this money I'm going to use to fix it on something else, instead of running 300rwhp, I could be running 400rwhp...effin shame.

So, the statement remains to all of those who deny the SC it's rightful love, your car will treat you how you treat it. I'm off the the bank and I've learned my lesson...*sigh*
Old 02-19-08, 05:23 PM
MT Photo
Driver

Holy crap rykwebb, I see you ALL the time in Wilmington.

You got the black SC3 with the bigass frontmount, looks sick.

If you want to get together sometime for a photoshoot, let me know.

I can send some portfolio shots.
Old 02-20-08, 06:32 AM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just feel lucky that your ecu hasn't fried out, in my past experiences with grounds, i fried a EPROM ECU on my old tsi awd talon. Glad you finally had it fixed though.
Old 02-20-08, 03:42 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

wow, thats awesome, i thought I was the only one man, good news. Hit me up man, PM sent.

Yeah Im glad too man, took her for a nice wash and vacuum when it was done. Feels great, now it's time to get her up to 400whp where she belongs.
Old 02-21-08, 08:50 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

You should have gotten the diagnosis and done the work yourself. Thats what I do. Generally they can't over charge you for a diagnosis cause they really aren't expecting you to say "I'll take it from here"

Quick Reply: Fury Hath Been Spoken By The Lexus Gods