Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Just installed F-Sport Intake! My Opinion (+GFX Front Lip)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-08, 09:31 PM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just installed F-Sport Intake! My Opinion (+GFX Front Lip)

F-Sport Intake System
Well, I was debating whether to purchase the Joe-Z Intake Pipe or the F-Sport Intake System, and I decided F-Sport. Considering no one at my dealership is a 2IS enthusiast, and also the fact that our sales department doesn't want to install the F-Sport intake or exhaust, I thought I'd go ahead and make the purchase. When it came to an intake, performance was not really on my mind, it was all about the sound, and the F-Sport Intake, in my opinion, delivers just that.

Installation was a piece of cake. Just take out the old pipe/air-box, and put in the new. It took a total of about 20 minutes.

After installation was complete, I started up the car and revved a bit to see just how loud it'd be while stopped. Quite simply, it didn't change. I'm used to
hearing my friend's IS300s with SRT intakes, and was expecting at least a different sound.

As expected, I followed-up with a drive. I pushed the car to about 3.5k-4.5k RPMs, and the sound really started to kick-in. Once you get past 4.5k RPMs, that's when the engine noise takes over. I was in regular Drive mode, and when you're pushing the gas a good amount, the intake has a deep, yet subtle growl. It's not too loud, but it is noticeable. It doesn't scream so much in first gear, but after that it's fun and games. I personally prefer it were a bit louder, but hey, exhaust will follow soon

Later, I had a friend do a few drive-by's so I could hear it from the outside. While he was driving around the empty parking lot, I could definitely hear the distinguished sound of the intake, whether up-close or further away.

I wish the intake was slightly louder and kicked-in earlier, but I'm ultimately pleased with my purchase. I was looking for a different sound, and that's what it gave me. I purchased an OEM accessory that came with a new pipe, filter, and air-box (and two stickers if that counts), and it delivered what I was looking for.

Next step: Decide between the HKS Hi-Power Exhaust with Silencers, or go with the F-Sport Exhaust System ($500 price difference, with F-Sport being more expensive, and I can only assume that with either one of these I will hear them more than my intake for sure)

UPDATE: After driving around and watching my MPG drop, the intake is definitely loud enough. I still wish the timing were sooner, but when you're right between 3.5k-4k RPMs it really screams.

Pictures
All Covers On. Yeah, yeah, dirty

There it is...

Covers Off

The pipe exposed, taken from the passenger side

The whole system from the passenger side

Gonna be driving without the main engine cover from now on

I'll get pics of the GFX front lip uploaded when I get home later. Basically, our sales department damaged the bumper on a new car, so they parted out the fog lights, grille, and front GFX lip. It matched my color (212), so I asked the sales manager if I could take it. He said as long as I used it on my car, it'd be fine, so I took it home and installed it. Took about 20-30 minutes

Last edited by chums; 05-15-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 09:31 PM
chums
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a minor accessory I threw on the other day as well

Close-up. Dark Chrome

Old 05-13-08, 09:50 PM
Hakaida
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great write up, I am guessing you guys got the F-Sport parts in. I am still debating on what to get next. I'll be at your work place on saturday, I'll drop by and see if you are working.

Last edited by Hakaida; 05-13-08 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 10:03 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

looking forward to your review on the f-sport exhaust!!!!
Old 05-13-08, 11:31 PM
Mr.JPG
Pole Position

love the plate holder, how much it cost.
Old 05-14-08, 04:28 AM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LIKE that f-sport plate holder.

BTW, once you get an exhaust on, you'll hear only exhaust until about 4000 rpm, and then only intake thereafter.
Old 05-14-08, 04:33 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

awesome review! Definatly can't wait to get mine installed. They are finally offering them here in Canada.
Old 05-14-08, 04:33 AM
is2seattle
Lead Lap

i love the intake. it sounds really nice. i am happy with it after installation. i thought you were getting tanabe??? you should hook me up with the plate holder or i will steal it from you
Old 05-14-08, 05:34 AM
suorum
Pole Position

nice!!! happy to hear it works! Some pics of the lip now man!!
Old 05-14-08, 05:39 AM
Rican219
Rookie

Mine comes in today I can't wait
Old 05-14-08, 08:57 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Great review, I'm also planning on the F-Sport and intake soon. BTW, where can I get that license plate holder?
Old 05-14-08, 09:00 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

the fsport looks just like rebadged Joe-z
Old 05-14-08, 09:09 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the plate frame and thanks for the F-Sport intake pics. The welded logo looks nice, but Lexus asks a lot for this tube. If possible, can you list the priceing for the tube and plate frame?
Old 05-14-08, 10:59 AM
RoTaRy
Driver School Candidate

Looks good!

ihkskim - Sorry but what is a Joe-z?
Old 05-14-08, 11:08 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

nice plate frame, some black pearl emblems would match it! I would def get one if i didnt use my personalized cl frame

Quick Reply: Just installed F-Sport Intake! My Opinion (+GFX Front Lip)