GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Keeping it a family affair

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-08 | 10:19 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap
CL Folding 10,000

Default Keeping it a family affair

Hello, all. I just purchased a black on black 99 GS300. My younger brother has the white GS. I figured we'll continue sharing one handle to make things easier. Car came with 20" Velocity wheels that have painted black accents. I plan to get rid of them once the seller sends me the OEM wheels when he moves back to California.

This thread is probably going to be my e-Diary so I'll be updating it with pics, mods, and questions that I couldn't find answered in my searches. My original car was totaled so I figured it's time to move on.

I plan to continue doing maintenance on it by summer's end before I do any upgrading. Exterior mods are planned to be minimal until I get it repainted along with having the fenders shaved/pulled for a nice deep dish wheel in the rear. For now, my main focus is the interior and maintenance. I don't plan to modify the engine for any gains since I'm intentionally leaving that behind in my old lifestyle. I think of it as graduating that lifestyle and moving on.

Wheels are Velocity VW166 20" x 7.5" wrapped in Hankooks 225/35

Pic of old car:

Coilovers and ball joints are the first real modifications I plan on doing in the next few months. If everything goes well, I'll cop a set of 19s as well.

Why a GS? I met someone who's now one of my good friends who owned a white 2GS. He kept mods to a minimal but I still loved it. He sold it a few months ago, unfortunately. That bastard even had the Advan Sienna Gen-II wheels on it. Oh, well.

Enjoy.

Interior:
  • Giga Squash Air Spencer
  • 01+ Gauge cluster bezel, woodgrain shift ****, woodgrain ashtray
Exterior:
  • DIY Chrome grill

Engine/Exhaust:

Wheels/Brakes/Suspension:
  • Velocity VW166: 20 x 7.5 all around [SOLD]
  • Hankook Ventus V4ES 225/35/20 [SOLD]
  • Rolling on stockers now
  • BC Racing: Type BR coilovers

Maintenance:
  • Brakes
  • Windshield wipers
  • Air & cabin filter
  • Timing belt

Closet Mods:
  • Exact camber kit for front and rear
  • Balljoints
Updates:

August 17, 2008

August 17, 2008

September 1, 2008

Last edited by Phamboogie; 10-21-08 at 06:24 PM. Reason: More text
Old 07-22-08 | 10:43 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Congrats on the GS
Old 07-22-08 | 11:13 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

congrats on the pickup. your paint looks great for almost a decade!

kinda cool that you and your bro both have 2GS's. add another (modding) factor to the sibling rivalry. haha
Old 07-22-08 | 11:50 AM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap
CL Folding 10,000

Thanks, all!

Pff, I'm trying to motivate my brother to get a job. If it's anyone that will have a better looking car, it's me. Hehe..

The paint is great in certain areas. Ha! There's a lot of swirl marks, but it's a 99. Rock chips like it's going out of style on front bumper. There's also a few bug splatters on the trunk which has me baffled since the only conclusion I have come to is the previous owner drove in reverse at a high rate of speed. Decent amount of chips on the hood as well. Dings and dents and also scratches like it's the new fad. When I waxed the car, it didn't seem to get off easy. I used Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Once I try to wipe it off, it's streaks. Wtf? Whatever though.

I was hoping you'd post in my thread so I don't have to hunt you down (no homo). What kind of taillights do you have? The Carson-Tuned ones?

I am interested in this or this, but it seems like it's not going to happen.

Is it really plug and play? Does the dash light come on? Thanks~

Last edited by Phamboogie; 07-22-08 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 07-22-08 | 11:55 AM
chrispy

Reminds me of our "Phanily."
Old 07-22-08 | 11:56 AM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

i like how you and your bro both have GS's.

my bro almost got a white one but ended up not.
Old 07-22-08 | 12:10 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Phamboogie
Thanks, all!

Pff, I'm trying to motivate my brother to get a job. If it's anyone that will have a better looking car, it's me. Hehe..

The paint is great in certain areas. Ha! There's a lot of swirl marks, but it's a 99. Rock chips like it's going out of style on front bumper. There's also a few bug splatters on the trunk which has me baffled since the only conclusion I have come to is the previous owner drove in reverse at a high rate of speed. Decent amount of chips on the hood as well. Dings and dents and also scratches like it's the new fad. When I waxed the car, it didn't seem to get off easy. I used Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Once I try to wipe it off, it's streaks. Wtf? Whatever though.

I was hoping you'd post in my thread so I don't have to hunt you down (no homo). What kind of taillights do you have? The Carson-Tuned ones?

I am interested in this or this, but it seems like it's not going to happen.

Is it really plug and play? Does the dash light come on? Thanks~
I have the Red/Fat Clear Wise/Sonar LED Tails sold by Carson Toyota and the smoked Wise/Sonar LED inners. The outters are the newer model so they dont throw the dash tail light out indicator light. But the inners do set off the dash light. I just pulled the bulb, its very easy to do.

If you need any help with anything shoot me a PM.
Old 07-22-08 | 12:14 PM
GS430V8
Lexus Champion

very nice looks good!
Old 07-22-08 | 12:15 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap
CL Folding 10,000

Smile

Thanks, y'all. I was really interested in this 2001 Champagne-colored GS, but I was more concerned about finding a good deal price-wise first. Thankfully, the black on black GS was up for sale around the time I was in the market.

Originally Posted by PushinLEX
I have the Red/Fat Clear Wise/Sonar LED Tails sold by Carson Toyota and the smoked Wise/Sonar LED inners. The outters are the newer model so they dont throw the dash tail light out indicator light. But the inners do set off the dash light. I just pulled the bulb, its very easy to do.

If you need any help with anything shoot me a PM.
I was wondering why "Sonar" wouldn't come up on Google search! I'll definitely give you a holler once I get the lights. No homo.

JDM Squash, boy-eeeeeeee!

Last edited by Phamboogie; 07-22-08 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Combined posts to prevent clutter
Old 07-22-08 | 12:24 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chrispy

Reminds me of our "Phanily."
Which will be reunited soon
Old 07-22-08 | 01:04 PM
dave11428
Pole Position

Like those rides a lot
Old 07-22-08 | 01:19 PM
sjlex
Driver

nice ride, looks like it has potential. Any reason why you went from the sti to a 300? I would expect you would choose a 400. I came from a wrx too (not sti though), its a nice change!
Old 07-22-08 | 04:16 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap
CL Folding 10,000

Smile

Originally Posted by sjlex
nice ride, looks like it has potential. Any reason why you went from the sti to a 300? I would expect you would choose a 400. I came from a wrx too (not sti though), its a nice change!
There weren't many available around the time I've been looking. I also wanted to buy from private sellers and somewhat close to where I live. I did find a GS400, but the owner decided not to sell it. I'll tell you one thing though, I loved my car.

There were some really nice GS's for sale a few hundred miles away, but I'm not going to great lengths to get it. I wish I lived somewhere out in the cut because I found some super deals in BFE.

I'm talking to one of my friends who works at a shop right now. He's going to hook it up with a nice discount on these particular coilovers. As long as they're full-length adjustable, I'm happy.

I digress. Thanks again for the compliments.

Last edited by Phamboogie; 07-22-08 at 04:23 PM. Reason: More text
Old 07-22-08 | 05:48 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap
CL Folding 10,000

Noob question:

My car is a '99. Is it possible to replace the piece that's above the airbag on the steering wheel to an '01 piece? I'm curious because I like the chrome L. Thanks.
Old 07-22-08 | 06:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Looking Good..

Quick Reply: Keeping it a family affair