LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

About to Check Out a 90 LS Got A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 11:58 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default About to Check Out a 90 LS Got A Few Questions

Hey all,

like the title state I am about to go check out a 1990 LS 400 with approximately 75,000 miles as a daily driver. What are some of the obvious things I should check for on this car? For the fellas who has the same ride what are some of the parts that require immediate attention. I only seen pictures that the seller send via email and the exterior looks pretty decent. The asking price is $2,500 is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 05-28-09, 01:43 PM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With that mileage it sounds like a pretty decent price.

Make sure that it has a clear title, and check under the car for rust, leaks, etc.

Let the car warm up and idle for a bit to see if it overheats.. and make sure it has a smooth idle.

Make sure that all the power bits work (windows, steering column, moonroof, seats, etc.)...

Ask if the owner has maintenance records available.. and check the oil level and color to see if there are any head gasket issues.

That is about all that I can think of off of the top of my head.. If you pick the car up, show us some pics! GL with the purchase!
Old 05-28-09, 05:31 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maintenance records are gonna be the first thing. You def want to know when the TB and water pump were changed; spark plugs, belts, hoses, etc. Also check for leaking shocks and power steering pump. Turn the car on and check the power stuff, make sure car is not over heating. Take for ride, most likey will need new shocks as well as suspension bushings. You could probably bargain the car down to $2K also.
Old 05-28-09, 07:56 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Hey guys I just came back from checking out the car. All in all I was quite impressed. Test drove the car for a few blocks did not get to take it on an open road to really open out the engine as all the driving was filled with city blocks after blocks with too many stop sings and lights. The engine bay is quite clean and the exterior is very very clean for a 1990 part of the driver front headlamp is broken and the front bumper has a lil scuff mark which I believe can be buffed off, the interior is burgundy color seats and dash board with no cracks or rips.
The car drove well to my knowledge, idling was defiantly not as quiet compare to my GS 300 I am guessing its the V8 engine that is why it idles a little higher (please correct me on this if I am wrong). So the good part is the millage is actually 72,000 and I was able to break the price down to $1,750.
Now I need a car fax (hook-up would be nice) I am only concern with the gas on this car... So please let me know about the MPG I can expect.

Thanks all.

Mark

Last edited by lowKut; 05-29-09 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-29-09, 01:07 AM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

I believe that stock the MPG was 19/25 so you are looking at decent gas mileage if the car is in as good of shape as it seems to be... of course that is if you keep your foot out of it! haha. I have noticed a slight decrease from my 01 GS300 to the LS, I refill about 2 times per week..
Old 05-29-09, 06:50 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

You are going from a V6 to a V8 so she is def gonna be a little hungrier than the the 300. Most likely, you are referring to the driver side fog light, which is broken out. For some reason, and I only say this since alot of us have broken this side out, it seems to be the common side which gets broken. New ones' can be found, however, the search for it is in high demand. Seems like you got a good deal going; pick it up.
Old 05-29-09, 10:28 AM
acidfire52
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a smoking deal. If the carfax is clean, I would jump all over it.
Old 05-29-09, 06:40 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Guys, I am deeply sadden to say that I will probably not go through w/ this deal. I ran a carfax and came back with the following millage 264,970. I contacted the seller she stated that the odometer reading of 72,000 millage is correct and that DMV make a mistake on the title while recording the millage which I don't know how this could occur (is this even possible?) The car dose seem very clean from the interior, engine bay and exterior somewhat so I dont know who to believe in this case.

Please tell me what you think

Here is the full carfax report image shot.

Last edited by lowKut; 05-29-09 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-29-09, 07:07 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the current owner have a copy of the maintenance invoices from 04~06? I wouldn't touch it unless I was able to get a look at those maintenance invoices from Warnock Lexus. They should have the mileage listed on them. Someone would have had to of made a mistake on the title back in 2003. It is possible. 24 miles added to the odometer in five years is pretty strange. That Lexus dealer may not be willing to give you a copy of the invoices since it would disclose a previous owners information, but they would most likely be willing to tell you what the recorded mileage was on each of those three invoices over the phone by providing them with the VIN.

Does the VIN number on the title issued last August match the VIN number on the car?
Old 05-29-09, 07:12 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hmm hard to say Mark. but yea it is suspicious that it put so little miles in those 5 years.
Old 05-29-09, 08:02 PM
BLKonBLK98
Lexus Test Driver

that's a very incomplete carfax. i've ran a lot and even bought a car with an inconsistent odometer reading because there was enough information for me to conclude it was a clerical error (established pattern with 1 year irregular and then back to readings consistent to the pattern). my suggestion would be to contact that lexus dealership and see if they can provide any records.

i don't see why there would be 3 scheduled maintenances with only 6 miles put on the car and the 94-03 gap is where the real story would be told.
Old 05-29-09, 08:43 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Well you are looking at a now 20 year old car, so 264K on the odometer should not be that far off. Pretty much falls in line with other members who have that same year. 2003-2008 and only 24 miles put on the car is VERY suspicious, and the fact that it has had 3 scheduled maintenance's done in that time just doesn't add up. As others have said, you should be able to contact Warnock Lexus and let them know that you are a potential buyer for this vehicle and you are investigating a reported service history of the car, and they are listed on the carfax report. Let them know that you do have the vin number and that you do understand that while they cannot go into detail about the service, your only interest is the mileage in which they recorded on those occasions, since there seems to be a discrepancy in the carfax report. What is the seller's story? Is this being sold by an elderly person who just wants the car gone? Did this car sit after the passing of a love one? I once, almost, bought a 98 from a lady who had it since new but it was her husbands car and he had passed and the car was too big for her to drive; so it had sat. Carfax came back clean, and she was more than willing to share the service records. Bottom line, I don't think the seller is being honest with you on this deal, and if the vin number info from Longo matched the carfax record then the truth will be exposed. Sounds like there may be more to this car than meets the initial eye.
Old 05-29-09, 08:56 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Thanks everyone for your response.
I think I will not rush into this one...I will just wait and see if I could get to the bottom of it, which I dout cause i already have a broken mind on this one.

IMO the seller seems to be honest somewhat i believe but then again I can never be sure about ppl and their deeper thoughts.
Old 05-30-09, 03:27 AM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

It does seem a bit suspicious. Although that seems to be a really good deal for the car. Maybe, if there is no solution to the mileage issue, lowball them and offer $1,200. If the car is as clean as it seems, even if there are mechanical issues down the line, ebay has low-mileage complete turn-key motors for under $700. With that, and some new bushings, you are looking at right around what the car would bluebook for... or at least i think so..

As long as there are no accidents on the carfax, I would definitely throw em the $1,200 offer.
Old 05-30-09, 06:26 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

So i contacted Warnock Lexus this morning and spoke to one of their service rep who was not hesitant at all to release any info. The last time the car was at their dealership for service was Oct 2006 and the odometer read 70,757 which do not correspond with the car fax report as in 09/23/2003 its reported to have 264,946 miles....now what

Quick Reply: About to Check Out a 90 LS Got A Few Questions