IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Toyota Considering 2nd Generation IS Accelerator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 06:13 AM
cajun
Pit Crew

Received 149 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Toyota Considering 2nd Generation IS Accelerator Replacement

Apparently, Toyota is investigating a complete replacement of the accelerator pedal on all second generation Lexus IS models. Does anyone know if this would affect models with OEM sport pedals installed? Thanks in advance.

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...49344320091114
Old 11-16-09, 06:37 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun
Apparently, Toyota is investigating a complete replacement of the accelerator pedal on all second generation Lexus IS models. Does anyone know if this would affect models with OEM sport pedals installed? Thanks in advance.

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...49344320091114
Given even your own source states nobody knows what form the fix would take I doubt anyone can reliably tell you if your vehicle will be impacted.

The problem remains floormats and people too dumb to secure them though, so I kinda continue not to care.
Old 11-16-09, 06:45 AM
shui3000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kurtz
The problem remains floormats and people too dumb to secure them though, so I kinda continue not to care.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that. Nobody is sure what the problem really is. There have been a lot of complaints from people about sudden acceleration in toyota/lexus cars, including people that didn't even get into accidents (no motive to lie about such a thing).

At first I thought the same thing as you, just a bunch of dumb people, but if you research it a little further, it's not so clear cut.
Old 11-16-09, 07:48 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shui3000
I wouldn't jump to conclusions like that. Nobody is sure what the problem really is. There have been a lot of complaints from people about sudden acceleration in toyota/lexus cars, including people that didn't even get into accidents (no motive to lie about such a thing).

At first I thought the same thing as you, just a bunch of dumb people, but if you research it a little further, it's not so clear cut.
from the linked article-

Toyota has said it was confident the problem is linked to floormats and not a vehicle design flaw or problems with components related to braking, fuel or accelerator systems.
Old 11-16-09, 11:55 AM
aliu603
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i think people need to just double check their floormats now that this information is public. if you don't check it or bring it in and something happens, that's kind of your fault
Old 11-16-09, 12:41 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just because they say they have a 'fix' doesn't mean that you have to get it.
Old 11-16-09, 01:17 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone quickly confirm - if the accelerator pedal gets stuck, then an infallible way to solve the problem is to put the car in neutral, correct?

One should NOT brake, simply put the car in neutral and this will solve all problems.

Are there any other solutions should putting the car in neutral prove ineffective?
Old 11-16-09, 01:25 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carLx
Someone quickly confirm - if the accelerator pedal gets stuck, then an infallible way to solve the problem is to put the car in neutral, correct?

One should NOT brake, simply put the car in neutral and this will solve all problems.

Are there any other solutions should putting the car in neutral prove ineffective?
Put car in neutral, then engage the brakes to pull the car over someplace safe and stop it, then turn off engine by holding start button down until it turns off, then put in park.

Should work 100% of the time should your floormat somehow move and get the accelerator stuck.

You could just turn the engine off with the start button, but it'll be a lot safer to stop first.
Old 11-16-09, 01:36 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Im taking my car in on Friday to have the F-sport springs checked out so ill ask them to see what they say.......
Old 11-16-09, 05:02 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Put car in neutral, then engage the brakes to pull the car over someplace safe and stop it, then turn off engine by holding start button down until it turns off, then put in park.

Should work 100% of the time should your floormat somehow move and get the accelerator stuck.

You could just turn the engine off with the start button, but it'll be a lot safer to stop first.
Awesome thank you.
Old 11-16-09, 05:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If the floormat is the problem, I'm still waiting to see the final answers.
Old 11-16-09, 08:16 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
If the floormat is the problem, I'm still waiting to see the final answers.
How bout a big red sticker on the dash saying "HEY DUMMY- DID YOU INSTALL YOUR FLOORMAT CORRECTLY?"

I suppose they might swap out the floormat hooks for titanium ones or something so they'd never ever break even if you whack em with a hammer...

The current temp fix is to zip-tie the floormat in place.

Seriously. That's what dealers are doing at the moment.
Old 11-17-09, 07:35 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I got the recall notice in the mail yesterday. Fortunately my next oil change is several months from now, so I'm staying away from the service department until they come up with a clear approach that doesn't involve lame bandaids.
Old 11-17-09, 07:45 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

if you go to dealer with the floor mats in your car are they going to zip tie them? or can you refuse
Old 11-17-09, 11:20 AM
isbbq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soupdawg
if you go to dealer with the floor mats in your car are they going to zip tie them? or can you refuse
i went longo lexus, they didnt zip tie the floor mats.

Quick Reply: Toyota Considering 2nd Generation IS Accelerator Replacement